Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #766
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Thanks for the warning.

I always laugh because whenever I get set to perform a specific task, I'll get a pop-up telling me "Windows 8 has an app to do that for you!!!".

Is it wrong that I talk back to my computer???
Of course, you can do what I did. I stuck with Windows 7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #767
Sydney's Mom
I Bleed Cubby Blue
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX , IPad and Samsung Tab 2
There are things I like about it-the touch screen is great, and some of the apps are terrific (especially Solitare). Seriously, I really like Outlook 13. But don't mess with my Ebooks!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #768
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I love my one Windows 7 machine. It never talks to me.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #769
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW/K4B/K4S/K3+3G KF1/KFHD2/N7.2/SGP 4.2 SGP 5.0/LG Vortex
Quote:
I love my one Windows 7 machine. It never talks to me.

I still have Vista My netbook has XP I've yet to play on a PC with Win 7 so I can't even began to imagine Win 8.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #770
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blossom - I still have Vista on my old-gasping-for-its-last-breath laptop! I much prefer it to this newer Windows 8 laptop!! Even on that older machine, when I hooked up my peripherals, it installed them perfectly (drivers, etc.) and I was good to go (same with my Win7 desktop). With this Win8 laptop, I had to search around and find my old installation cds for my printer, my external optical drive, etc. I hadn't seen those things in 8 years lol.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #771
4691mls
Evangelist
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I discovered today that the NC library now allows cover, grid or list view on my wishlist, which is nice, but unfortunately it now allows me to see only 20 books per page (I have about 80 books on the list).
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #772
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Thanks Blossom and JSWolf. They are .acsm. The problem is Windows 8! I uninstalled the overdrive app, and then when I went to download, it couldn't find the correct program. I had to find the Adobe file and ADE for it.

Do Not Download the Overdrive app for Windows 8!!!!!!!
I use the Win7 OD software on my Win 8 tablet in desktop mode.
xendula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #773
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
Quote:
Blossom - I still have Vista on my old-gasping-for-its-last-breath laptop!
Me, too! Unfortunately, the Vista OS is slightly corrupted, and it has a tendency to overheat rather quickly, but I think I'd rather get another W7 netbook than a W8 machine from your comment.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #774
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Me, too! Unfortunately, the Vista OS is slightly corrupted, and it has a tendency to overheat rather quickly, but I think I'd rather get another W7 netbook than a W8 machine from your comment.
I've never had overheating issues with Vista. That's usually a hardware issue not software unless you got something that is maxing out your CPU which can bring up the temps quick so can a bad add on video card. My Quad stays around 36c on a hot day and 34c regularly. Even if I am gaming which I no longer do the temp was 38c at most which surprises me because my particular CPU average is 50c when maxed out. A good case, fans and airflow is key. It also helps to clean the PC out every couple of weeks specially if you have pets.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #775
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650
I have an HP tablet laptop, and I understand those run hot.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #776
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I have an HP tablet laptop, and I understand those run hot.
Poorly design if it's overheating and crashing but most laptops do run pretty hot but that is normal. My Toshiba netbook gets hot enough to burn your skin. It has XP on it. You can get a cooling pad to put it on it cost around $20 to help with overheating.

My next PC will be laptop now I am not into gaming I don't need a huge desktop anymore.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #777
DianNC
Banned

Blossom - my Vista machine is a Toshiba - and my second one. I love that brand. I used the cooling pads for a while but they don't last long. Now, after I've had it on for a while it just shuts down (usually when I'm in the middle of doing something on Calibre). I think my fan is giving out. The Toshiba has been a wonderful little workhorse, though. I used to take it everywhere.

I was in college when I used my first Toshiba - a hand-me-down from Dad. It would act up every now and then (from old age) and when it did I'd just take out the hard drive and whack it with a hammer. Put it back in and I was good to go! When I told my Dad, he about died.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #778
Blossom
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Blossom - my Vista machine is a Toshiba - and my second one. I love that brand. I used the cooling pads for a while but they don't last long. Now, after I've had it on for a while it just shuts down (usually when I'm in the middle of doing something on Calibre). I think my fan is giving out. The Toshiba has been a wonderful little workhorse, though. I used to take it everywhere.

I was in college when I used my first Toshiba - a hand-me-down from Dad. It would act up every now and then (from old age) and when it did I'd just take out the hard drive and whack it with a hammer. Put it back in and I was good to go! When I told my Dad, he about died.
Don't do that! Whacking hard drives is not good.

Hmm My cooling pad has lasted me the life of my netbook. I will never buy a Toshiba again though. My sis has a cheap ACER netbook and it's no where near the specs of mine and hers out performs mine. I got mine because of the bigger battery and the keys are spaced apart making it easier to type with but try running a youtube video on it and it chokes.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #779
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Don't do that! Whacking hard drives is not good.
Haha that's just what my dad said, but it was the only way to resolve the BSOD. Worked every time!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #780
silverraven
Fanatic
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oooh, I'll stand up in defense of Toshiba laptops! I have one, and my son has one. Love them, and they don't run hot at all. BUT, they are the running intel chips, not AMD. Everything I have read says the i3,i5 and i7s run much much cooler than any of the AMD processors in laptops. In a desktop you can get enough ventilation to keep the AMDs cool. Between my son and I, we have 4 AMD desktop computers. Never have a problem with heat on them.
Just my 2 cents!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote