Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Rps
Rps began at the beginning.

Device: None
Using iPad as en ereader.

Hello all. I have an iPad Air and have been using it as a e reader. At issue is the glare and screen reading in day light, especially outside. I have been going back and forth on whether to buy a Kindle or Kobo due to their readability in the out doors .... Not to mention battery life.

But it drives me crazy that the iPad is so useless outside for e reading. I have been wondering if there is an app which would mirror the screen of an e reader?

I have searched the web but only get the Kindle, Kobo and similar store apps ... Nothing to convert the iPad screen to e reader resolution for out doors. Thoughts?...

Rp
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
You've hit upon the most important reasons why so many people choose eInk readers.

Really, you've already pointed out and answered your questions.

The real question (in my opinion) is to go over to the Which One Should I Buy Forum and pick the brains of all our members on which one you should buy that meets your needs.

An ebook reader is like a good marriage.....and certainly with less stress!

[Refresh your page, as I've edited my original post for clarification.]
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
DuskyRose
Evangelist
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW, Kobo Aura, Ipad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rps View Post
But it drives me crazy that the iPad is so useless outside for e reading. I have been wondering if there is an app which would mirror the screen of an e reader?
I've got both the iPad mini and various eInk machines, and read from both. The quick answer is "No". It's what the screens are made of and how they're lit that makes the difference. There's no app that can change that.

For the glare, you can get anti-glare film for the iPad. I have one that works well to cut the glare so I don't feel like I'm reading off a mirror. Helps a lot, and not too pricy.

But the sunlight issue is a problem that's got no solution I've ever seen.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
markom
Addict
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Hello all. I have an iPad Air and have been using it as a e reader. At issue is the glare and screen reading in day light, especially outside. I have been going back and forth on whether to buy a Kindle or Kobo due to their readability in the out doors .... Not to mention battery life.

I have searched the web but only get the Kindle, Kobo and similar store apps ... Nothing to convert the iPad screen to e reader resolution for out doors. Thoughts?...

Rp
Good anti-glare matte protector + sun shade cap + sunglasses (if necessary) + sunshade (if necessary).

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=8

I prefer ultra anti-glare matte protector for reading both outside and inside the room, although it will pixilate the screen and diminish the vibrancy to a degree.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-6-Matte-...7715713/g.html

I would also usually read pdfs or ebooks outdoors on Kindle DX but (if needed) simultaneously annotate(scribble) the same pdf on iPad or use it for dictionaries, color recognition, multitasking etc.

Last edited by markom; 08-11-2014 at 03:21 PM.
markom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350: 3 Silver, 2 Blue!; Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Good anti-glare matte protector + sun shade cap + sunglasses (if necessary) + sunshade (if necessary).

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=8

I prefer ultra anti-glare matte protector for reading outside and inside the room, although it will pixilate the screen and diminish the vibrancy to a degree.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-6-Matte-...7715713/g.html
I read outdoors a lot and none of those gadgets or anti-glare screen protectors will let me read a tablet out on a sunny day, even when I try to go under a tree in the shade. I have a special anti-glare protector for my phone, and while it helps (helps in that I can see there's something on the screen), it in no way lets me actually read the screen in bright daylight.

If you want to read outdoors at all, even in a vehicle, give in and get yourself an e-ink reader as Dr. Drib said. Not only will it be smaller and lighter than a tablet, the battery will last for weeks and you will actually be able to read no matter where you're at, and very comfortably at that.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
markom
Addict
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I read outdoors a lot and none of those gadgets or anti-glare screen protectors will let me read a tablet out on a sunny day, even when I try to go under a tree in the shade. I have a special anti-glare protector for my phone, and while it helps (helps in that I can see there's something on the screen), it in no way lets me actually read the screen in bright daylight.

If you want to read outdoors at all, even in a vehicle, give in and get yourself an e-ink reader as Dr. Drib said. Not only will it be smaller and lighter than a tablet, the battery will last for weeks and you will actually be able to read no matter where you're at, and very comfortably at that.
I read outdoors on my iPads without problem (using above mentioned tools) although it takes some tilting to find and maintain a sweet angle, usually with brightness well below maximum i.e. 75-80 %, but yes, I rather use e-ink in the sun (it's simply more comfortable) and iPad in the evening or indoors.

Last edited by markom; 08-11-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
ShellShock
Guru
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & PRS-650, Kobo Glo & Aura HD
Beware that some people have reported problems with their ereaders after prolonged exposure to heat or strong sunlight. Still better than a tablet for reading outside.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
rollei
Zealot
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

Rp
If you don't want to use a e-reader like Kindle or Kobo, until the ipad has e-ink, your next option is a e-ink smart phone: Onyx Midia InkPhone

https://onyx-boox.com/shop/midia-ink...e-e43-android/
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #9
crossi
Fanatic
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do like the Hitchhiker's Guide recommends. Always carry a towel. Just drape it over your head and iPad and you can read just fine outdoors.
crossi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
markom
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Do like the Hitchhiker's Guide recommends. Always carry a towel. Just drape it over your head and iPad and you can read just fine outdoors.
More stylish variant would be some lightweight cloth or synthetic fabric attached to a sun shade cap/hat.

Last edited by markom; 08-16-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
faithbw
Fanatic
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4S
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
More stylish variant would be some lightweight cloth or synthetic fabric attached to a sun shade cap/hat.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Quote:
Use one of those giant Mexican Sombreros.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote