Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Salah
Salah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Lightbulb Linux on Kindle 4

I'd like to ask if it posiible to install a linux image on my kindle 4nt and being able to access it using ssh from another computer, i'd like to do some experiments and see if im able to host a localhost on my network using my kindle 4.

Edit: Raspberry Pi has similar Specifications

Regards

Last edited by Salah; 09-18-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Salah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Salah

I will be updating this until i manage to succesfully install it
Old 09-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah View Post
That should be an interesting challenge.

Let us know if you get stuck along the way, there have been other attempts by various people with various degrees of success.

We may be able to help when you hit a tough spot.

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2014 at 11:19 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah View Post
when you get this figured out send me a noob friendly guide please
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kindle already runs linux, so the challenge would be compiling a server for the Kindle.

You may also want to look into "installing" a chroot, using ArchLinuxArm (more up-to-date than Raspbian).
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The Kindle already runs linux, so the challenge would be compiling a server for the Kindle.

You may also want to look into "installing" a chroot, using ArchLinuxArm (more up-to-date than Raspbian).
Installing a **proxy** server perhaps?
It may be required, depending on the exact network layout the O.P. intends.

I can't recall if we built a proxy server for the K4.
I am pretty sure we built squid for newer devices.

And squid is widely used, it is probably available within the ArchLinuxArm distribution.

When using a Kindle for a 'headless' configuration, the usual thing to do is shut down a large portion of the Kindle System.

Details somewhere on this site, but they may be for newer devices than the K4.

Last edited by knc1; 09-19-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And squid is widely used, it is probably available within the ArchLinuxArm distribution.
I've suggested ArchLinuxArm to a couple people wanting to run calibre on a Raspberry Pi, also.

Because the magic of ArchLinuxArm is that all ArchLinux packages are available, and if necessary, a custom PKGBUILD is used to override the ARM builds. (In case you need to do something different for ARM building.)

So you automatically get all Arch Linux packages. Plus Arch makes it easy to compile a package from source.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
Yup, FWIW, Arch also gets my (very biased) vote for 'least dumb' binary distro .
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

aw come on, what about puppy?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
aw come on, what about puppy?
Tell us more.

Does it have the full wealth of all Puppy packages on ARM? Is Puppy a bleeding-edge distro?

I think its purpose is primarily for beginners, because Real Men Use Arch Linux (or slackware or gentoo or crux...)

Quiche-eater...

Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

**:foodfight:**
Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Old 09-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
Salah

I'm having problems to get the ssh working is there any easy guide somewhere ?????
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
PieMan597
Half-eaten
PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PieMan597 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nexus 7
Have you tried this?
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
PieMan597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
Salah

yes i did , i also followed this one http://blog.hastmeinwort.de/2012/03/...le-4-no-touch/ but no luck, im on w7 and lubuntu, none of them is working