Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Accessing fonts from CSS

Is there a way to reference fonts that are installed someplace on the Kobo Reader without actually embedding them? I ask because while you can use your choice of fonts, you cannot use more then one font family. So if I want true small caps (for example), I'd have to embed both font families. On 650 & T1, I can use CSS code to access the fonts installed on the Readers without having to embed them in the eBooks. Can I do this on a Kobo Reader using firmware 3.8.0?

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-19-2014 at 11:01 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a way to embed fonts that are installed someplace on the Kobo Reader without actually embedding them? I ask because while you can use your choice of fonts, you cannot use more then one font family. So if I want true small caps (for example), I'd have to embed both font families. On 650 & T1, I can use CSS code to access the fonts installed on the Readers without having to embed them in the eBooks. Can I do this on a Kobo Reader using firmware 3.8.0?
Yes, this post explains how to reference your sideloaded fonts from a book's stylesheet: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=12
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
Quote:
Is there a way to embed fonts that are installed someplace on the Kobo Reader without actually embedding them? I ask because while you can use your choice of fonts, you cannot use more then one font family. So if I want true small caps (for example), I'd have to embed both font families. On 650 & T1, I can use CSS code to access the fonts installed on the Readers without having to embed them in the eBooks. Can I do this on a Kobo Reader using firmware 3.8.0?
Yes, you can. This is what I use for small-caps in the kobo_extra.css file used by calibre's KOBOTOUCH driver's 'Modify CSS' option
Code:
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url("res:///fonts/normal/Charis SIL SmCp")}
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url("res:///fonts/bold/Charis SIL SmCp")}
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url("res:///fonts/italic/Charis SIL SmCp")}
@font-face {font-family: "SCfont"; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; src: url("res:///fonts/bolditalic/Charis SIL SmCp")}
My label "SCfont" can be anything you like as long as it matches what you've used in the epub's main css file.
The Charis SIL SmCp must match the font's internal and external name.
jackie_w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Is there a way to embed fonts that are installed someplace on the Kobo Reader without actually embedding them?
That's use or reference fonts, not embed.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's use or reference fonts, not embed.
True that. My mistake.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote