Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #586
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ixtab's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,903
Karma: 6677557
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@nasser: Yes, but the jailbreaks get more and more difficult, because Amazon obviously considers them a threat to their brave new world and "secures" their devices better, i.e., closes the jailbreak vectors.

This jailbreak here already was a PITA and took weeks to find, and in fact ATM, we don't have any more aces up our sleeves. As far as I'm aware, nobody has yet found a way to jailbreak 5.3.8 (yes, we more or less regularly do look into it). So the PW1 can only be reliably jailbroken because it can be downgraded.

Now, if the PW2 does not want to install the PW1 updates (and I assume that this will be the case) ->
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #587
nasser
Groupie
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
nasser's Avatar
 
Posts: 191
Karma: 361098
Join Date: Feb 2010
Device: iPod touch 4g/Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@nasser: Yes, but the jailbreaks get more and more difficult, because Amazon obviously considers them a threat to their brave new world and "secures" their devices better, i.e., closes the jailbreak vectors.

This jailbreak here already was a PITA and took weeks to find, and in fact ATM, we don't have any more aces up our sleeves. As far as I'm aware, nobody has yet found a way to jailbreak 5.3.8 (yes, we more or less regularly do look into it). So the PW1 can only be reliably jailbroken because it can be downgraded.

Now, if the PW2 does not want to install the PW1 updates (and I assume that this will be the case) ->
Seems a pity..
What % of Kindle buyers go to the trouble of jailbreaking it..? I don't think the figure could be more than 10%.. So Amazon has a captive, audience here who dutifully use their Kindles the "way" they were meant to be.. which actually isn't a bad idea really..

I bought my kindle hoping i would get more reading done.. but soon found the temptation of adding extra functionalities too strong to resist.. but it's a bit nerve wracking.. a couple of times i thought i'd bricked it.. but was able to rescue myself with all of you ppl's help..

There are a few companies who turn a benign eye towards their products being hacked.. like Casio's Pocketviewer (i've still got my pv-s460..) and D-Link's NAS boxes.. read recently that some android mobile manufacturers actively support rooting of their devices..

Hope Amazon will see the light..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #588
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
caleb72's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,710
Karma: 14627223
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Device: Kindle
That's a shame. I guess with my Paperwhite (whenever that is) I'm out of luck. Silly because I only want to most superficial of things - a configurable screensaver. It already has enough font configurability and I stopped using the Collection Manager etc.. because I don't think they're supported on later versions any more (although I could be wrong about that).

Grrrrr. I don't want to rule the world, just have my book cover as a screen saver.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #589
hfpop
Zealot
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
 
Posts: 118
Karma: 136410
Join Date: Apr 2011
Device: KPW1 WiFi 5.4.4
My two cents here.

This is not about turning a device upside down. But, while using my paperwhite, I do need a few improvements that ONLY the handful of brilliant developers on this forum provide:
- tuning the page margins;
- tuning font size for the eight positions;
- allowing extra fonts (i cannot live without a font modified and finetuned here);
- hyphenation;
- stop indexing;
- deposit my books in /mnt/us/books and copy one as needed to .../documents using an app tweaked from here.

While the paperwhite is one of the best toys I ever had, the guys on this forum are, honestly, adding value to an already high value thing. I fail to understand why Amazon plays against them.

Thank you all.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #590
Yolina
Guru
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 673
Karma: 3078201
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Device: KPW2 wifi, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
While the paperwhite is one of the best toys I ever had, the guys on this forum are, honestly, adding value to an already high value thing. I fail to understand why Amazon plays against them.

Thank you all.
I second that

*If* it turns out that a JB cannot be found for the PW2, then it's going to be a far less enjoyable experience as far as I am concerned. Am still in two minds about whether I should cancel my pre-order until we know more.
Yolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #591
bookworm65
Junior Member
bookworm65 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 9
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2010
Device: kindle
Rats, I was going to JB mine. The the other morning after turning the wi-fi off. Amazon turned it on and upgraded to 5.3.8. Which I had no idea it would do so. Now I am stuck with the huge margins.
bookworm65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #592
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
GoSharks's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,463
Karma: 3890736
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm65 View Post
Rats, I was going to JB mine. The the other morning after turning the wi-fi off. Amazon turned it on and upgraded to 5.3.8. Which I had no idea it would do so. Now I am stuck with the huge margins.
Just downgrade to 5.3.4 and then apply the Jailbreak and Bridge...it will stay jailbroken even if you upgrade to 5.3.8 (so far). If you want to adjust margins, stay at 5.3.4 and add the JBPatch hack which also includes hyphenations on mobi files...you will want to keep your PW from auto-updating so use KUAL and add the BackDoorLock hack. You can then go merrily on your way!

P.S.- Amazon can't 'turn on' your wifi. The update had probably downloaded earlier and was waiting for a quiet time to run.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #593
qrti
Junior Member
qrti began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2013
Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
My two cents here.

This is not about turning a device upside down. But, while using my paperwhite, I do need a few improvements that ONLY the handful of brilliant developers on this forum provide:
- tuning the page margins;
- tuning font size for the eight positions;
- allowing extra fonts (i cannot live without a font modified and finetuned here);
- hyphenation;
- stop indexing;
- deposit my books in /mnt/us/books and copy one as needed to .../documents using an app tweaked from here.

While the paperwhite is one of the best toys I ever had, the guys on this forum are, honestly, adding value to an already high value thing. I fail to understand why Amazon plays against them.

Thank you all.

Why not compose an official petition to Amazon with exactly those arguments? Maybe it is possible to convince them, that their devices get upvalued. Could it do harm to let them know what people need and want?
qrti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #594
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys
 
Posts: 37
Karma: 5506
Join Date: Feb 2013
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Just downgrade to 5.3.4 and then apply the Jailbreak and Bridge...it will stay jailbroken even if you upgrade to 5.3.8 (so far). If you want to adjust margins, stay at 5.3.4 and add the JBPatch hack which also includes hyphenations on mobi files...you will want to keep your PW from auto-updating so use KUAL and add the BackDoorLock hack. You can then go merrily on your way!

P.S.- Amazon can't 'turn on' your wifi. The update had probably downloaded earlier and was waiting for a quiet time to run.
It happened to me the same thing.
If I understand correctly I have to:
1. downgrade to 5.3.4
2. redo a new jailbreak
3. and then upgrade to 5.3.8

Right?
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #595
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
GoSharks's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,463
Karma: 3890736
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj74 View Post
It happened to me the same thing.
If I understand correctly I have to:
1. downgrade to 5.3.4
2. redo a new jailbreak
3. and then upgrade to 5.3.8

Right?
Depends what you are trying to do... I assume you are on fw 5.3.8 now. If you had already done the jailbreak and applied the jailbreak bridge, then your jailbreak should have survived (you will need to reapply the rescue pack). Now it's decision time. If you just want screensavers, no need to downgrade just apply the hack. If you want to apply the JBPatch hack, yes you will need to downgrade to 5.3.4 and then STAY THERE --- JBPatch is not being maintained beyond fw 5.3.4. For many of the available hacks you will need to also install the combined developers certificates and the kindlet jailbreak (which is different from the plain jailbreak). Wherever you stop with your hacks, you will want to stop Amazon from sneaking in an update which will wipe everything out...the BackDoorLock hack will stop Amazon from updating without your permission.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #596
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys
 
Posts: 37
Karma: 5506
Join Date: Feb 2013
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Depends what you are trying to do... I assume you are on fw 5.3.8 now. If you had already done the jailbreak and applied the jailbreak bridge, then your jailbreak should have survived (you will need to reapply the rescue pack). Now it's decision time. If you just want screensavers, no need to downgrade just apply the hack. If you want to apply the JBPatch hack, yes you will need to downgrade to 5.3.4 and then STAY THERE --- JBPatch is not being maintained beyond fw 5.3.4. For many of the available hacks you will need to also install the combined developers certificates and the kindlet jailbreak (which is different from the plain jailbreak). Wherever you stop with your hacks, you will want to stop Amazon from sneaking in an update which will wipe everything out...the BackDoorLock hack will stop Amazon from updating without your permission.
Got it.
Anyway, I solved simply by reinstalling the rescue pack and certificates. I forgot to reinstall KPVbooklet...
thanks!
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #597
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
nypaulie's Avatar
 
Posts: 79
Karma: 205138
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MidtownEastNYC
Device: HPTouchPad NookST PW-2 ipad-mini-2
Jailbreaking the PW V2

Well, looks like bad news...
I just got the latest Paperwhite (V2) which comes with firmware version 5.4.0.
I sideloaded the 5.3.1 update file to prepare for jailbreaking but "Update Your Kindle" is grayed out so I can't install it.
[Added Later]
Here's a question... what do you think would happen if I tried to copy over a saved image file from my PW v1 to the new v2 (using dd protocol)? Any chance it would brick it? I am trying not to attempt this just because I can.
[Added Later Still]
Got a message from ixtab saying don't do it... brick-alert! Just passing this on folks.

Last edited by nypaulie; 10-03-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: couldn't help myself
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #598
joncl
Junior Member
joncl began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2013
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

I've used the jailbreak on 2 Kindle Touches to turn off indexing successfully, so thanks for that.

However it just isn't working with my Paperwhite. Jailbreak and USBNetwork are installed and working, I can see the USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget, it's set to 192.168.15.201, but I just can't connect using WINSCP. I've tried firmware 5.3.5 & 5.3.1 after downgrading from 5.3.6. Connection always times out. Any ideas?
joncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #599
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
NiLuJe's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,961
Karma: 4501011
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Paris, France
Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2
@joncl: You'll need to clarify what you're doing.

Assuming the default settings, 192.168.15.201 is the IP you assign the cdc_eth network interface, and 192.168.15.244 is the IP you're trying to connect to.

You might also want to try a decent pure SSH client (putty), instead of WinSCP.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #600
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ixtab's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,903
Karma: 6677557
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... and please post in the correct thread. You're obviously not having an issue with the jailbreak, but with usbnetwork.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5 Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus K5/PW USBNetwork. NiLuJe Kindle Developer's Corner 1249 10-09-2014 10:57 AM
K5 How to remove jailbreak from Paperwhite? sk83 Kindle Developer's Corner 32 05-20-2014 08:19 PM
Jailbreak para Kindle (K4, Touch, PaperWhite) Pepin33 Amazon Kindle 19 11-08-2013 08:59 PM
Kindle paperwhite jailbreak (5.3.3) NoriPP Kindle Developer's Corner 19 02-02-2013 02:45 PM
K5(Touch/Paperwhite). Jailbreak 5.1.x;5.2.0 cristbo Amazon Kindle 2 11-22-2012 02:34 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.