Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
Jyohomson
Reader
Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3 3G (Broken), Kindle Touch (Broken), Kindle PW2
Exclamation My Screensaver :(

Hello Guys
This is my first post here, and I love this site. So naturally, I've come running for help.
I recently bought a Kindle Touch and updated it to 5.1.2 and did the Jailbreak, as well as JBPatch, and I downloaded a remove special offers plug-in (I didn't know JBPatch already had one ). Then something weird happened. The Special Offers were now gone, but when I locked my kindle, nothing happened. I thought it had frozen so I restarted my device. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that the lock actually worked, and instead of the lockscreen it did nothing but just lock the device. The screen shows the same thing but its locked. Kind of like a screensaver hack that shows the lock symbol and locks the screen but retains what the screen was showing. And I assumed that it was due to the device not having any screensavers in it. Then I installed(is that the right term?) the screensaver plug-in form yifan.lu. But nothing happened. I want to install custom screensavers!
Jyohomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Jyohomson
Reader
Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.Jyohomson for a long time would go to bed early.

C'mon guys. Please HELP ME!!!!
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyohomson View Post
Hello Guys
This is my first post here, and I love this site. So naturally, I've come running for help.
I recently bought a Kindle Touch and updated it to 5.1.2 and did the Jailbreak, as well as JBPatch, and I downloaded a remove special offers plug-in (I didn't know JBPatch already had one ). Then something weird happened. The Special Offers were now gone, but when I locked my kindle, nothing happened. I thought it had frozen so I restarted my device. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that the lock actually worked, and instead of the lockscreen it did nothing but just lock the device. The screen shows the same thing but its locked. Kind of like a screensaver hack that shows the lock symbol and locks the screen but retains what the screen was showing. And I assumed that it was due to the device not having any screensavers in it. Then I installed(is that the right term?) the screensaver plug-in form yifan.lu. But nothing happened. I want to install custom screensavers!
You will not get a lot of support here for removing Special Offers.

Removing Special Offers is believed to be the cause of amazon locking down firmware version 5.3.0 so tightly.

Similarly, for kindles with 3G access, 3G tethering abuse is probably why amazon sandboxed 3G web access to the walled garden of amazon and wikipedia, and to limit 3G to 50MB per month in many areas.

Sadly, the squandering and loss of common public resources is a downside of "human nature", known as "Tragedy of the Commons", and it is where removal of Special Offers and 3G Tethering fall. A few people abusing something can lead to restriction or loss to all.

The "RIGHT" way to remove special offers is to pay amazon to remove them. This costs as little as $20. Just do it the right way.

The "desktop" screen with a lock symbol is the NORMAL behavior of that screensaver hack when that mode is enabled. Most hacks come with a README file or other instructions. You really should read the instructions for the hack that you are having trouble understanding...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Jyohomson
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You will not get a lot of support here for removing Special Offers.

Removing Special Offers is believed to be the cause of amazon locking down firmware version 5.3.0 so tightly.

Similarly, for kindles with 3G access, 3G tethering abuse is probably why amazon sandboxed 3G web access to the walled garden of amazon and wikipedia, and to limit 3G to 50MB per month in many areas.

Sadly, the squandering and loss of common public resources is a downside of "human nature", known as "Tragedy of the Commons", and it is where removal of Special Offers and 3G Tethering fall. A few people abusing something can lead to restriction of loss to all.

The "RIGHT" way to remove special offers is to pay amazon to remove them. This costs as little as $20. Just do it the right way.

The "desktop" screen with a lock symbol is the NORMAL behavior of that screensaver hack when that mode is enabled. Most hacks come with a README file or other instructions. You really should read the instructions for the hack that you are having trouble understanding...
I'm not talking about the removal of special offers. I'm in Nepal, so its nearly impossible for me to remove the special offers the 'right' way. And my lockscreen does not have a lock logo in it. The whole screen just freezes. And this was the way it was even before i did the screensaver hack.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Jyohomson
Reader

Angry Wierd

Now something is going really wierd A RESET DOESNT SOLVE THE PROBLEM! NOT EVEN UNJAILBREAKING! I think i might smash this think into pieces
Advert

Tags
help needed, kindle touch, screensaver, yifanlu