Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #1
Nabeel
Connoisseur
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 505
Pagination on Calibre

Dear All,

I'm an academic. I find e-books easy to use and they save on shelve space! But I am encountering one problem.

One big advantage of the ebook format is that I can identify an interesting sentence or two, and then cut and paste it into either a critical text I'm writing, or a handout for students. This is much more convenient than having to copy out the relevant. (I have to stress here I do just mean a sentence or two: I'm not talking about substantial sections.)

I find Calibre ideal for this type of cutting-and-pasting. But...

As an academic, I need to give precise and accurate page references. I'm already a bit worried that on my Sony ereader pagination sometimes looks a bit eccentric. However, on Calibre, pagination just seems completely inaccurate: when a paper book is 250 pages long, the Calibre version often seems to be 600 or 700n pages long.

Am I missing something here? Is there a method for ensuring that the pagination on Calibre corresponds to other published versions?

Any advice welcome!

best wishes,

Nabeel
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toys

Device: pc, prs-600, prs-t1, prs-t2, prs-t3, nexus 7, Kobo Glo HD
Page numbers means nothing within e-books. Page sizes depend on how the text is rendered, the used font-size, line-space, etc. Hence, they differ from reader to reader.
References therefore must be based on chapter numbers, section identifications, bullet numbers and such to be meaningful. Of course, the e-books you use must support that in their texts.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT,Galaxy Tab 2
Or the Paragraph count. that does not change at any flow zoom level.

Chapter N, paragraph 7, (word 42 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toysDrChiper shares his or her toys

Device: pc, prs-600, prs-t1, prs-t2, prs-t3, nexus 7, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or the Paragraph count. that does not change at any flow zoom level.

Chapter N, paragraph 7, (word 42 )
Provided you use always the same document version and not a revised version 1.1 with added texts / paragraphs ...
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT,Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Provided you use always the same document version and not a revised version 1.1 with added texts / paragraphs ...
As you point out, the old (page-line) system has been flawed since day 1

And it does you little good if you do not have access to the precise version cited
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
For the record, MLA/APA now officially recommend using chapter/paragraph citation methods when citing an ebook.

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for your students...

Some ebooks do come with page-mapping data e.g. Kindle's "real page numbers" (APNX) or the EPUB Page-map / PageList.
Note: Many EPUB ereaders will lie and use the Adobe Digital Editions "2048-characters-is-a-page-by-fiat" if no page mapping exists.
calibre can be set to sideload pseudo-random generated page numbers if sideloading books to a Kindle via calibre (I believe this is the default) -- be careful.

When Real Page Numbers for Kindle books exist, Amazon's product page will specify the ISBN of the paper book it matches.
MLA/APA suggests using Real Page Numbers when they exist.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-04-2016 at 10:50 AM.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote