Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
Reaper1242
Member
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 19
Karma: 6944
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Kobo Touch
Books on internal vs external SD

I'm wondering which is more stable and efficient. Side loading direct to the device or on to an external SD.
Although I do wonder if it's irrelevant since, as far as I know, the Touch uses an SD as internal anyway.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
GeoffR's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,395
Karma: 2667033
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Zealand
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1242 View Post
I'm wondering which is more stable and efficient. Side loading direct to the device or on to an external SD.
Although I do wonder if it's irrelevant since, as far as I know, the Touch uses an SD as internal anyway.
One difference seems to be that when thumbnails and other images are generated for the first time for a book stored on the internal card, a copy of the image is saved, and so the next time it only has to be reloaded from the card. But that doesn't happen for books on the external card, and so their images are generated anew each time they are needed. This takes extra CPU time, so it must also take extra energy. It might be fixed in a future firmware, but for now it seems more efficient to use the internal card.

Edit: (More energy efficient, more time efficient, I mean. Perhaps less space efficient, but then it is much easier and cheaper to upgrade to a bigger SD card than to a bigger battery or faster CPU).

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-07-2013 at 04:45 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jackastor's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,554
Karma: 2604523
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1242 View Post
I'm wondering which is more stable and efficient. Side loading direct to the device or on to an external SD.
Although I do wonder if it's irrelevant since, as far as I know, the Touch uses an SD as internal anyway.
Your books stay intact on a factory reset. If they are stored on the Sd card. As to speed diference? I dont think its an important factor when you consider the device is an ereader not a platform to manage your life. That said its more personal preference then any thing else.
Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,082
Karma: 8495224
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
One difference seems to be that when thumbnails and other images are generated for the first time for a book stored on the internal card, a copy of the image is saved, and so the next time it only has to be reloaded from the card. But that doesn't happen for books on the external card, and so their images are generated anew each time they are needed. This takes extra CPU time, so it must also take extra energy.
Oh, it definitely takes more battery power. If you read a lot of sideloads, you really do want to turn off cover display while sleeping/powered down. :/ Small price to pay, though, for not having to manually reload your library every time you need to factory reset...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Reaper1242
Member
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 19
Karma: 6944
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Your books stay intact on a factory reset. If they are stored on the Sd card. As to speed diference? I dont think its an important factor when you consider the device is an ereader not a platform to manage your life. That said its more personal preference then any thing else.
Regards

Jack
That's something I never considered. I don't think page turns are affected either way and it's probably a minor difference everywhere else.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Reaper1242
Member
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 19
Karma: 6944
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Oh, it definitely takes more battery power. If you read a lot of sideloads, you really do want to turn off cover display while sleeping/powered down. :/ Small price to pay, though, for not having to manually reload your library every time you need to factory reset...
I guess then it's a little less down to actual performance and more about things like battery and convenience

But correct me if I'm wrong. I've always assumed that an eInk device redraws the cover and that's the end of it until it has to redraw something new. Would that then not mean it wouldn't use power to keep it displayed.
Although I could be very wrong.

Last edited by Reaper1242; 01-07-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,990
Karma: 5812202
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1242 View Post
I guess then it's a little less down to actual performance and more about things like battery and convenience

But correct me if I'm wrong. I've always assumed that an eInk device redraws the cover and that's the end of it until it has to redraw something new. Would that then not mean it wouldn't use power to keep it displayed.
Although I could be very wrong.
You are correct. Once the eInk screen is drawn, it takes no power to maintain it's state.

Personally, I prefer keeping my sideloaded books on an SD card. I have had to do quite a few factory resets when playing with sideloaded firmware, plugins and other fun items and it's just easier to pull the SD card and then replace it after I feel I'm at a stable state.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Reaper1242
Member
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 19
Karma: 6944
Join Date: Nov 2012
Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You are correct. Once the eInk screen is drawn, it takes no power to maintain it's state.

Personally, I prefer keeping my sideloaded books on an SD card. I have had to do quite a few factory resets when playing with sideloaded firmware, plugins and other fun items and it's just easier to pull the SD card and then replace it after I feel I'm at a stable state.

Regards,
David
I'm so used to using active devices like smartphones or tablets that I sometimes have to remind myself eInk isn't.

At first I thought it's as simple as backing up your SD and then transferring back manually but I also know that would probably not last very long
Really does seem simpler to just work from SD.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internal/External SDCARD ?? asnider123 enTourage eDGe 15 02-12-2012 08:25 PM
Internal vs. external SD card oldyellr Kobo Tablets 8 12-18-2011 01:38 AM
moving files from internal SD to external SD aycn602 Kobo Tablets 0 11-24-2011 05:31 AM
Feature request - internal/external reader by menu prconnor Library Management 2 08-14-2011 08:03 AM
Creator TOC - Internal or external? ivoron Kindle Formats 25 06-29-2008 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.