Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Andy_T
Addict
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Number of downloads exceeded, how to free

Hello,

as I am a moderately active e-reader-buyer, I have a number of Kindle devices registered to my name, and I read the same books on all of them.

When I wanted to load some books of the "Dresden files" to my all-new Kindle PW 2, I got the error message that I had exceeded the number of downloads covered by the license. The message suggested that I could de-register some devices, delete the book from them or buy additional licenses.

So how do I correctly remove the book from one of my devices? Do I have to de-register the device? Can I simply delete the book from the device and the license will be freed? Or do I have to do both? I have a bricked Kindle Keyboard that I could de-register, would that free up the license?

I would hate to remove the books from one or more of my devices (Basic Kindle, Kindle fire, iPhone, iPad) and then still not be able to install it on another device.

Sorry if that question has already been asked, I did a forum search for "license" and got hundreds of hits, but none that help me answer this question.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 6 2014, Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 3
You do not need to de-register the device, just remove the book from the device(s).
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And make sure to sync, afterward.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Andy_T
Addict
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Thank you for the information, will try that!
Especially the syncing.

Regarding my old Kindle Keyboard that is no longer working, will de-registering it free up the books downloaded there?

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, K3 WiFi 3G
6 is the limit I was once told.
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Regarding my old Kindle Keyboard that is no longer working, will de-registering it free up the books downloaded there?
Yes, it should free up anything the system has registered as going to that device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
6 is the limit I was once told.
It depends on the publisher. It's often six for DRM'd books (but, can be less) from big publishers, but DRM free books have no device number limits.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would suggest deleting-syncing-adding to PW and then add the book fom PW to calibre (making sure to remove the DRM) so you can send the book from calibre to whichever device you want without restrictions.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Readirect
Enthusiast
Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Readirect can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: KPW1
Think Outside the Box

The problem is with DRM. Use Calibre and google how to convert drm ebooks. Once done, you can sideload to any device you choose. The drm checks which devices the book is residing on, not which are being actively read at the same time. As long as the book you bought isn't being read simultaneously a greater number of times than is allowed by the license, it would seem all is good ethically.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
The problem is with DRM. Use Calibre and google how to convert drm ebooks. Once done, you can sideload to any device you choose. The drm checks which devices the book is residing on, not which are being actively read at the same time. As long as the book you bought isn't being read simultaneously a greater number of times than is allowed by the license, it would seem all is good ethically.
Ethically, there is no problem whatsoever other than the fact that they are restricting your rights unfairly.

If the book is only licensed, then why do they call it "buying"? Most people are not aware that you only bought a license. Therefore, I call this "licensing" illegal, since very few people would actually buy an ebook that was only "licensed", and I will happily do anything I want with my property short of duplicating said property and redistributing it.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Ethically, there is no problem whatsoever other than the fact that they are restricting your rights unfairly.

If the book is only licensed, then why do they call it "buying"? Most people are not aware that you only bought a license. Therefore, I call this "licensing" illegal, since very few people would actually buy an ebook that was only "licensed", and I will happily do anything I want with my property short of duplicating said property and redistributing it.
It's not at all unreasonable to restrict the number of simultaneous usages for a digital product. Consider the case of, say, a school who buys one copy of an ebook and then distributes it to all their pupils. That's not fair at all to the author or publisher of the book. Usage limits are entirely reasonable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not at all unreasonable to restrict the number of simultaneous usages for a digital product. Consider the case of, say, a school who buys one copy of an ebook and then distributes it to all their pupils. That's not fair at all to the author or publisher of the book. Usage limits are entirely reasonable.
That falls under the category of redistribution. Clearly Baen and Tor and anyone else who publishes DRM-free aren't worried about this kind of piracy. Usage limits are just as reasonable as DRM itself , and make owning multiple devices less useful; the problem is reading, not having, on multiple devices.

I can circumvent this restriction by deleting a book on one Kindle and replacing it with the WiFi off from calibre -- even if the DRM was still there.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That falls under the category of redistribution.
I was thinking of the situation where a school buys 50 Kindles and registers them all the the same Amazon account. Those are the circumstances in which usage limits are entirely reasonable.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I can circumvent this restriction by deleting a book on one Kindle and replacing it with the WiFi off from calibre -- even if the DRM was still there.
Certainly can, but then you'd have to have a separate copy for each different device.
pidgeon92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was thinking of the situation where a school buys 50 Kindles and registers them all the the same Amazon account. Those are the circumstances in which usage limits are entirely reasonable.
That is redistribution in my books. They bought themselves a copy and went ahead and registered Kindles to give those copies to other people. It is no different from breaking the DRM and posting it as a torrent, except this way uses a different method of providing the readable files.

Look, there is a reason only DRMed books have usage limits.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Look, there is a reason only DRMed books have usage limits.
Yes, that is true by definition, because usage limits are a form of digital rights management. If a book has no digital rights management, then by definition it has no usage limits.