Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
aluisscp
Enthusiast
aluisscp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo free books

I love reading classics and old books and it has come to my atention that some of these books are actually free in the Kobo store. This is great for me since it's not that easy to find ebooks in my language online, thay are not that many. Therefore, downloading them from the Kobo store is a great solution.

The thing is that although these books do show in the store when browsing my computer, in the Kobo store of the device itself there doesn't seem to be an option to filter books by price, let alone free books.

Does anyone know of any way to do this? Thanks
aluisscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Glo, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluisscp View Post
I love reading classics and old books and it has come to my atention that some of these books are actually free in the Kobo store. This is great for me since it's not that easy to find ebooks in my language online, thay are not that many. Therefore, downloading them from the Kobo store is a great solution.

The thing is that although these books do show in the store when browsing my computer, in the Kobo store of the device itself there doesn't seem to be an option to filter books by price, let alone free books.

Does anyone know of any way to do this? Thanks
I'm using the Kobo store in English but what I do is to a search and then on the Sort By button, I select price: low to high. This sorts the free books to the top of the list. I've attached a screenshot.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sort_by.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	123549  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 05-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
filmo
Guru
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
What is your preferred language for reading books? http://www.gutenberg.org/ has free books in many languages.

This forum has large library of free epub books that are well formatted.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...sc&forumid=130

Last edited by filmo; 05-31-2014 at 05:22 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Rockin
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Wireless, Kobo Touch
I have found most of the free public domain books in the Kobo store are poor quality - hard to read, many errors, ...

I now currently start at the mobileread library as they have been submitted by members here. They have usually been formatted nicely and have most of the OCR (scanning to text) problems fixed. I recently tried "Red Badge of Courage" since it fit in with my Memorial Day in Gettysburg trip. Two different free versions from Kobo, one was bad and the next was worse. The mobileread one was very nice. I found only one spelling error and unfortunately, I didn't mark it so it could be corrected. Can't find it now, darn it. Now I am thinking I could highlight the error and store it away, but I didn't think of that at the time as I have never used the highlight feature of the kobo ereaders before.

Highly recommend the following before Kobo freebies and Gutenberg:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=130
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
aluisscp
Enthusiast
aluisscp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi! Once again you have been very helpful. Thank you for the info, the guttenberg library is great by the way! Great hint!
As for my question, I realized that there is the store.kobo. And there is the kobobooks.com
The second one, for some reson unknown to me will redirect to the first if you are using chrome or some newer browser. I masked chrome as ie 8, there are plenty extensions that do that, and it worked, sendong me to kobobooks.com.
The oy thing different about this page is that you can search only free books by rating, whereas in the store website you can only search for freebooks without any further possibilities of filtering the search.
aluisscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
filmo
Guru
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Feedbooks is another epub book source I use. Nice mix of free public domain and new release books.

http://www.feedbooks.com/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote