Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
How do you organise Mini Reading Projects?

How do you organise Mini Reading Projects?

I've recently started my first ereading (+paper books) reading project. (Napoleon in Egypt)

I'm using the following custom Columns in Calibre to help keep the project together:

Projects
Non Fiction (multi use)
Paper Book (multi use)
Buy/Borrow (multi use)
TBR (multi use)
Read (multi use)

As for gathering material together for my reading project I've borrowed from my local library and bought ebooks.

Whilst the invent of ereading has meant that doing research is now at one's fingertips, it doesn't make the selection of appropriate (to one's needs) material much easier because in order to discern the e material to a degree of suitability one usually needs to buy first (that is commercially available only material). Expensive errors become fingertip easy, in my experience.

So, I'm curious

- how do you organise your reading projects, Calibre and otherwise?

- how do you discern commercially available only material (and you can't access a hard copy) to the degree that you can identify as much as possible prior to purchase that it meets your needs?

- what tips do you have for ereading mini projects?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-21-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I use the Reading List plugin for Calibre, with that I keep track of:

- series I'm reading (which books I still have to read)
- series I think I might like (first book of series)
- series waiting list (of which I've read the first one or two books and I decide to continue with as soon as I've finished a series on my "active" list)
- stand-alone books I soon want to read
- books in my 2013 classics challenge

As for finding out if a book that looks interesting is indeed interesting/on topic I download a sample if available. If a sample isn't available I look for reviews.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
since i mainly read on my ereader, not on the computer, i tend to use the "shelves" feature on the Kobo. I have shelves for not only different genres of reading but also for various projects. as well as a "shortlist" of the books i want to get to soon.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I am hesitating a little bit to advise you another library program as you are already working with Calibre, but maybe a library management program like citavi (http://www.citavi.de/en/index.html) or litlink (http://www.litlink.ch/) can help you a lot organising your books, notes, quotes...
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Thanks Billi, I'm following those up.

Edit:

Wow .... I've downloaded Citavi (Free version) and it appears to be an excellent resource and most suitable for my needs!!!

I've also signed up for the email based instruction modules that they offer.

Thank you again

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-22-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert