Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Any ideas as to when the Arc will be available in the U.S.?
I can't talk about release dates. I apologize.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
One question on the Arc that hopefully you can answer. The Vox was incompatible with chargers other than the one supplied with - well they charged but required a reset to get the battery meter to work again.

I notice in the documentation the Arc mentions it can be charged (albeit slowly) from a PC. So my question is, is the Arc like the Vox and require the supplied charger to charge the unit, or can the Arc be charged through 3rd party charges without any ill effects ie: battery meter issues like on the Vox?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
One question on the Arc that hopefully you can answer. The Vox was incompatible with chargers other than the one supplied with - well they charged but required a reset to get the battery meter to work again.

I notice in the documentation the Arc mentions it can be charged (albeit slowly) from a PC. So my question is, is the Arc like the Vox and require the supplied charger to charge the unit, or can the Arc be charged through 3rd party charges without any ill effects ie: battery meter issues like on the Vox?
You should always use our charger but in my experience most chargers work. It's not like the Vox.

It will charge via the PC depending on what you are doing, if it is idle it will charge, not as fast as the wall charger obviously.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Any chance we could get a Desktop App Robin? The desktop app has a lot of potential and is greatly lacking.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Thanks for the welcomes. Please, anyone who bought an Arc so far, please speak up and let me know which one you got.
Hello all. As I posted in your other thread I just bought the white 16G Arc from the Chapters store in Sherwood Park, AB.

I have been having a terrible time trying to decide whether or not to buy an e-reader as I view my book collection as a measure of my personal wealth and have been resisting the technological advance away from the printed form. I wish publishers would include a digital copy of the book along with the hard copy just as some dvd and blu-ray distributors are doing, sigh.

Before I tangent off into oblivion, my first impressions are that this new toy of mine has everything I expected and then some. I decided I wanted a reader that was bigger than what seems to be trending, smaller and lighter, and the Arc is approx. the size and weight of a decent sized paperback so when I am lying in bed head facing sideways on my pillow reading myself to sleep every night I won't be straying far from the comfort zone I have become accustomed to with print. I had some minor hiccups trying to update it during the original setup and ended up calling customer service after the 8th failed update download, I was very surprised and pleased that a pleasant caribbean female cs rep answered immediately and of course the device chose that exact moment to succeed with the update so I felt a bit foolish but glad to find out that the customer service was so fast and articulate.

All the extra things it comes with as a tablet are great, Ive found an app that lets me upload files to it over wifi as the only cable it came with is the charger, no usb to plug into my laptop but those are cheap and easy to find.

So far I am more than pleased with the product and glad to see a company rep making himself accessible here, thanks Robin.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Welcome Kobo-Robin. I guess it's safe to assume Kobo-Batman won't be stopping by unless you get in over your head!

The idea of Kobo having personnel help out with customer relations in the forums is great.

Good luck with the new product, and watch out for clowns carrying crowbars...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #22
Quexos
In limbo
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Ipad Mini Retina
hmm okay, when ?

Quote:
coming...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #23
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Any chance we could get a Desktop App Robin? The desktop app has a lot of potential and is greatly lacking.
I don't work on that team so I really can't speak for them. Sorry.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
hmm okay, when ?
Please understand, we were not told by our managers to come into the forums and engage with our users.

I am here because I want to be. As I'm sure you can imagine we are all very busy with the upcoming holiday season coming.

I can't speak for the other teams nor do I want to.

I hate being so vague but I can only play in the smaller sandbox.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
Hello all. As I posted in your other thread I just bought the white 16G Arc from the Chapters store in Sherwood Park, AB.

I have been having a terrible time trying to decide whether or not to buy an e-reader as I view my book collection as a measure of my personal wealth and have been resisting the technological advance away from the printed form. I wish publishers would include a digital copy of the book along with the hard copy just as some dvd and blu-ray distributors are doing, sigh.

Before I tangent off into oblivion, my first impressions are that this new toy of mine has everything I expected and then some. I decided I wanted a reader that was bigger than what seems to be trending, smaller and lighter, and the Arc is approx. the size and weight of a decent sized paperback so when I am lying in bed head facing sideways on my pillow reading myself to sleep every night I won't be straying far from the comfort zone I have become accustomed to with print. I had some minor hiccups trying to update it during the original setup and ended up calling customer service after the 8th failed update download, I was very surprised and pleased that a pleasant caribbean female cs rep answered immediately and of course the device chose that exact moment to succeed with the update so I felt a bit foolish but glad to find out that the customer service was so fast and articulate.

All the extra things it comes with as a tablet are great, Ive found an app that lets me upload files to it over wifi as the only cable it came with is the charger, no usb to plug into my laptop but those are cheap and easy to find.

So far I am more than pleased with the product and glad to see a company rep making himself accessible here, thanks Robin.
I'm happy you're happy. We are actively making sure no one else has any update issues. I apologize for the less than stellar first experience but I'm happy the rest of the experience seemed to win you over
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #26
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

I just wanted to mention that the good folks here at Mobileread has renamed the Vox forum to Kobo Tablets. Any threads can be labeled Vox or Arc.

Rather than use this thread for everything, I ask that users create new thread in there.

I will read it.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #27
Sharkus
Addict
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura, Kobo iOS Application
Quote:
Please understand, we were not told by our managers to come into the forums and engage with our users.

I am here because I want to be. As I'm sure you can imagine we are all very busy with the upcoming holiday season coming.

I can't speak for the other teams nor do I want to.

I hate being so vague but I can only play in the smaller sandbox.
I'm in the same position as Robin, here because I want to be, not because I was told to be, and the same points he makes are also valid for myself (I'm on the Mobile Reading Apps Team, more specifically the iOS side of things)
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Hi all,

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My name is Robin and I am the UX Lead for the Kobo Arc.
Welcome!
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Pardon me for assuming Kobo asked you to be here, and congratulations on showing such initiative! Welcome.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Pardon me for assuming Kobo asked you to be here, and congratulations on showing such initiative! Welcome.
ditto
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote