Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #496
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
shanghaichica's Avatar
 
Posts: 900
Karma: 1392912
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: PW2,Nook,ipad mini, iPad Air, galaxy S5, ipod touch 5th gen
Google play might very well have more apps than the app store but the quality is higher in apple's store.
shanghaichica is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #497
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PatNY's Avatar
 
Posts: 928
Karma: 46026034
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Not all developers are commercial developers.
A greater number of apps available doesn't mean a greater number of developers, or a greater number of developers whose primary motivation is profit. I think there would be a massively larger hobby coder population for Android than iOS. [a) it is free, b) it is easier to release, c) there are many more opportunities for tweaks and customisations, d) it better fits the general hobby coder philosophy
Do you have anything to back up that contention? That there are a lot of developers doing this for free and as a hobby? I have a hard time believing that.

Also, AFAIK, the developers of iOS apps don't have to pay for the iOS to experiment on either. So your point "a" seems to not make any sense. And while it may be easier to release on Android, in some cases it may be harder to code for, because of all the permutations of tablets and OS overlays out there. You really haven't set forth logical reasons for why developers appear to be opting for Android over iOS. So it has to be money.

Quote:
If you are giving the app away for free, then you are less likely to bother submitting to the tight requirements and approval process of the Apple App Store.
Even if these apps are free, they are generating revenue for developers with in-app advertising. So since it's harder to code for Android, there is no incentive to do so unless the promise of overall revenues were greater.

Quote:
A recent IDC report shows (of those developers that IDC surveyed), iOS was still the platform of choice, although not by a massive margin.
The original Forbes article was here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/darcytra...s-dont-matter/
Forbes do seem to have a rather pro-iOS, anti-Android spin on things.
This is what the Forbes article said: "At last measure, Apple offers 550K apps for the iPhone and iPad, and 25B have been downloaded. Google, by comparison, offers 440K and 10B have been downloaded." Do you know how outdated that data is? Google today has twice that many apps and exceeds Apple. So that report is based on outdated data.

As for the IDC report, it's just a survey. The fact is, these developers are going for the android platform over iOS. Also, the chart breaks out "Kindle Fire" and "Google Nexus" separately. But they are also the Android platform. So if you add up the numbers given for those two devices PLUS the numbers given for "Android Phones" and "Android Tablets" it appears that the Android platform has more overall interest.


Quote:
Numbers don't lie, but they can be misrepresented. A having more apps that B doesn't mean that A has more developers than B, or that those developers are making more money.
A having more apps than B certainly does mean that A has more developers. Of course it does. And because developers are free to code for either A or B, the only reason they'd choose A over B is because of potential profit. All the other reasons you gave don't hold water. Especially since it's often more difficult to code for A than B.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-05-2013 at 09:03 PM.
PatNY is offline  
 
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #498
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
SeaKing's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,282
Karma: 2058837333
Join Date: Oct 2011
Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Do you have anything to back up that contention? That there are a lot of developers doing this for free and as a hobby? I have a hard time believing that.

Also, AFAIK, the developers of iOS apps don't have to pay for the iOS to experiment on either. So your point "a" seems to not make any sense. And while it may be easier to release on Android, in some cases it may be harder to code for, because of all the permutations of tablets and OS overlays out there. You really haven't set forth logical reasons for why developers appear to be opting for Android over iOS. So it has to be money.

Even if these apps are free, they are generating revenue for developers with in-app advertising. So since it's harder to code for Android, there is no incentive to do so unless the promise of overall revenues were greater.

This is what the Forbes article said: "At last measure, Apple offers 550K apps for the iPhone and iPad, and 25B have been downloaded. Google, by comparison, offers 440K and 10B have been downloaded." Do you know how outdated that data is? Google today has twice that many apps and exceeds Apple. So that report is based on outdated data.

As for the IDC report, it's just a survey. The fact is, these developers are going for the android platform over iOS. Also, the chart breaks out "Kindle Fire" and "Google Nexus" separately. But they are also the Android platform. So if you add up the numbers given for those two devices PLUS the numbers given for "Android Phones" and "Android Tablets" it appears that the Android platform has more overall interest.

A having more apps than B certainly does mean that A has more developers. Of course it does. And because developers are free to code for either A or B, the only reason they'd choose A over B is because of potential profit. All the other reasons you gave don't hold water. Especially since it's often more difficult to code for A than B.--Pat
Good logic. Sounds like a better version of me!

SeaKing is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #499
UnderControl
Member
UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UnderControl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
UnderControl's Avatar
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 1487952
Join Date: Jan 2013
Device: Kindle
there are a lot of developers who create things for free as a hobby, that also make a living as a full-time developer.
UnderControl is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #500
SteveEisenberg
Wizard
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,757
Karma: 12288316
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia USA
Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderControl View Post
there are a lot of developers who create things for free as a hobby, that also make a living as a full-time developer.
SteveEisenberg is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #501
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
holymadness's Avatar
 
Posts: 719
Karma: 2084955
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: iPhone
As usual, PatNY should have saved his breath and spared himself the embarrassment of being wrong once again. iOS generates higher revenues for both app purchases and mobile advertising.



http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/25/in-...es-says-opera/

"Good logic," indeed. Save your cheerleading for the pee-wee hockey league.

Last edited by holymadness; 01-05-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: reduced image size
holymadness is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #502
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PatNY's Avatar
 
Posts: 928
Karma: 46026034
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
As usual, PatNY should have saved his breath and spared himself the embarrassment of being wrong once again. iOS generates higher revenues for both app purchases and mobile advertising ...

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/25/in-...es-says-opera/

"Good logic," indeed. Save your cheerleading for the pee-wee hockey league.
Sigh ... why am I not surprised you'd come up with hokey data once again? That report just covers the Opera network. It doesn't count ad impressions with Dolphin.

And what exactly did I say that you are objecting too? Please use an exact quote.

Try again.

--Pat
PatNY is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #503
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PatNY's Avatar
 
Posts: 928
Karma: 46026034
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderControl View Post
there are a lot of developers who create things for free as a hobby, that also make a living as a full-time developer.
I'm sure of that. But what evidence is there that the overwhelming shift of app creation to the Android platform is due primarily to developers doing this as a hobby? For free?

--Pat
PatNY is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #504
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
holymadness's Avatar
 
Posts: 719
Karma: 2084955
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Sigh ... why am I not surprised you'd come up with hokey data once again? That report just covers the Opera network. It doesn't count ad impressions with Dolphin.
Yawn. Cite a single study or report showing that ad revenue on Android outpaces that on iOS. For someone so big on data, you don't have any.
Quote:
And what exactly did I say that you are objecting too? Please use an exact quote.
I object to your entire posting history. I have never read a greater anthology of falsehood and implausibility.
holymadness is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #505
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
afv011's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,854
Karma: 2076640493
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Device: nook*, nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Google play might very well have more apps than the app store but the quality is higher in apple's store.
The apps that suck on Android are usually straight ports from iOS where they don't follow the Android guidelines, but the iOS ones instead. Apps developed from the ground up for Android are as good as those developed for iOS. There are plenty of examples of great apps on Android.
afv011 is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #506
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,884
Karma: 5875940
Join Date: Dec 2007
Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Sigh ... why am I not surprised you'd come up with hokey data once again? That report just covers the Opera network. It doesn't count ad impressions with Dolphin.

And what exactly did I say that you are objecting too? Please use an exact quote.

Try again.

--Pat
Bit of a dubious point considering that it only claimed to be dealing with Opera... you can equally say that it doesn't deal with Safari ad impressions which would guarantee a skew in the opposite direction to Dolphin... it's actually dealing with a cross-platform browser available under both Android and iOS... I'm surprised that you didn't attack the other, far more obvious flaws in the data but I'll leave that with you...
elcreative is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #507
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PatNY's Avatar
 
Posts: 928
Karma: 46026034
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Yawn. Cite a single study or report showing that ad revenue on Android outpaces that on iOS. For someone so big on data, you don't have any.
Where did I say categorically that "ad revenue on Android outpaces that on iOS?"

Quote:
I object to your entire posting history. I have never read a greater anthology of falsehood and implausibility.
Hmmm, figures you can't quote me. You always make up things I never say and present it as fact, instead of quoting me. Shameful!

Not to mention acting like a child and trying to drag every discussion you enter into a pissing match of personal insults. Terrible!

--Pat
PatNY is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #508
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PatNY's Avatar
 
Posts: 928
Karma: 46026034
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Bit of a dubious point considering that it only claimed to be dealing with Opera... you can equally say that it doesn't deal with Safari ad impressions which would guarantee a skew in the opposite direction to Dolphin... it's actually dealing with a cross-platform browser available under both Android and iOS... I'm surprised that you didn't attack the other, far more obvious flaws in the data but I'll leave that with you...
I am not the one who tried to pass off the report as being a total picture. LOL. Follow the bouncing ball!

And, fyi, Dolphin is the predominant browser on Android.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-05-2013 at 11:43 PM.
PatNY is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #509
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
holymadness's Avatar
 
Posts: 719
Karma: 2084955
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Where did I say categorically that "ad revenue on Android outpaces that on iOS?"
Hahahaha.

Your sole claim these last few pages is that app developers are flocking to Android en masse because of the promise of profitability it offers.

"You really haven't set forth logical reasons for why developers appear to be opting for Android over iOS. So it has to be money."

"And because developers are free to code for either A or B, the only reason they'd choose A over B is because of potential profit."

iOS app revenue is 400% greater than Android app revenue.
iOS ad revenue is 347% greater than Android ad revenue.

Whither these amazing profits?

Last edited by holymadness; 01-06-2013 at 12:15 AM.
holymadness is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #510
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
holymadness's Avatar
 
Posts: 719
Karma: 2084955
Join Date: Dec 2010
Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
I am not the one who tried to pass off the report as being a total picture. LOL. Follow the bouncing ball!

And, fyi, Dolphin is the predominant browser on Android.

--Pat
Please read before replying. These are not ads in the Opera browser, they are ads delivered via the Opera mobile advertising network. 80% of them appear in apps on all smartphone platforms.

Last edited by holymadness; 01-06-2013 at 12:38 AM.
holymadness is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long will Apple and Google's Android last? SeaKing News 78 04-14-2012 01:00 PM
Android How To Enable the Android Market in the Google Android Emulator cheyennedonna enTourage Archive 11 08-15-2010 12:12 AM
PCWorld.com: Look Out, Apple--Android is About to Eat Your Lunch walt526 enTourage Archive 2 06-16-2010 11:04 AM
Apple v. Google: Background on their conflict David Marseilles Alternative Devices 4 03-22-2010 08:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:24 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.