Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Markismus
Addict
Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Cracked Kobo Aura HD, Cracked Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo
What tape to use to reassemble H2O case

My Aura H2O stopped responding. Tried everything charging, resetting, obsessively pushing the power button and opening the case and disconnecting the battery. It worked, stopped again and started working again while charging. I'll leave it in the charger overnight and see how trustworthy it is tomorrow.

Does anyone have a hunch on what kind of two-sided tape to use to reassemble the H2O case?

I just finished fixing my LG G2 mobile and I was able to buy two-sided tape manufactured by 3M that was pre-cut and everything. Cost me 1€ and saved me an hour. Now the tape used for the H2O is different. It feels more elastic, more rubbery and it is black.

I wonder whether this would work? This seems to thick (0.8mm)

Last edited by Markismus; 01-22-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:41 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iriver StoryHD
I did experiment with twosided tape before (the kind you use for smartphone displays) but in the end it did not work too well for me. So I'm not using any tape right now. It doesn't fall apart either, although you can see a small crack and light shining through in the lower right corner... Obviously it's no longer water tight this way, but even with tape/glue that is hard to restore.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Neoprene Glue

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
Markismus
Addict
Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!Markismus has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Yes, indeed: That would work for the outer glue area. Just apply the glue to the bottom case, let it dry for a bit and put the top case in place.

There are two kinds of adhesives, I think. The inner glue area is a different story. The adhesive in place is of uniform thickness, straight edges and so definitely a tape. I think that if I am lucky and careful, I will be able to reuse it a few times. However, as Frostschutz's accounts elsewhere show: it will wear down fast.

Side Note: Got my readers working again! Apparently, after disconnecting the batteries in the evening with limited light, I didn't put the connectors far enough into their sockets. Quite clear in daylight, a mystery at night!

Last edited by Markismus; 01-24-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
Markismus
Addict

Had to do some googling, but it turns out Bison Kit is a neoprene glue. Still got that. Or did you have something more specific in mind?
Old 01-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That could work, what I was thinking of was the stuff they use on wetsuits to repair tears. Black Witch glue is an EU brand.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Markismus
Addict

Ah, right. A solvent based glue. We glue our bicycle tubes with that. That would work. Apply to both sides, dry and put together with a little extra pressure.

(Is tubes the right word for the what the Dutch call "the inner tire"?)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Ah, right. A solvent based glue. We glue our bicycle tubes with that. That would work. Apply to both sides, dry and put together with a little extra pressure.

(Is tubes the right word for the what the Dutch call "the inner tire"?)
I expect we would use "inner tube" in general use, "tubes" is used around here for the truck tire inner tubes used for "Tubing" a lazy form of river rafting. Often accompanied by a floating icechest for the beer.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-24-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iriver StoryHD
Careful not to make a mess with the glue, if you get it in the wrong place the IR touchscreen will stop working.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Markismus
Addict

Yep. That's why I probably will put the glue on the bottom case. Press it to the top. Take it apart. Let it dry some. Press together: The bottom case as glue brush for the top.