Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
What would make Kobo surpass Kindle?

Basically what features, etc would cause Kobo to cut into the market share of Kindle in your opinion?

As a Kindle convert to Kobo I miss a few things, the biggest thing that temps me to go back is the syncing of side loaded books iPad, iPhone and ereader. Not because of stealing, but since some theological books can’t be bought on Kobo or I already own them.

Other things are
How difficult it is to see highlights later, I like to transfer to good quotes to my Evernote, pain in butt on Kobo.
The way Wikipedia pops up if I hold on unfamiliar phrase.
The new toggle for inverted text color on Kindle (this drives me nuts cause Kobo could fix this issue today with software update, but they haven’t despite people requesting it for at least four years).

I’ve stayed because I like the underdog and the larger screen, but I’d love to see Kobo make improvements so that I could convince my friends to switch from Amazon to Kobo.
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
What I'd most like to see is a "Send to Kobo" function.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Basically what features, etc would cause Kobo to cut into the market share of Kindle in your opinion?

As a Kindle convert to Kobo I miss a few things, the biggest thing that temps me to go back is the syncing of side loaded books iPad, iPhone and ereader. Not because of stealing, but since some theological books can’t be bought on Kobo or I already own them.

Other things are
How difficult it is to see highlights later, I like to transfer to good quotes to my Evernote, pain in butt on Kobo.
The new toggle for inverted text color on Kindle (this drives me nuts cause Kobo could fix this issue today with software update, but they haven’t despite people requesting it for at least four years).

I’ve stayed because I like the underdog and the larger screen, but I’d love to see Kobo make improvements so that I could convince my friends to switch from Amazon to Kobo.
antitrust action against Amazon
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Honestly, with a modicum of tech-savvy and some guidance from folks here on the forums here, I'm far happier with my Kobo than I ever was with my Paperwhite. It seems far more customizable than Kindle.

Amazon just has a stranglehold on the market, and I don't see that changing--even though I perceive the Kobo as a superior product.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Sounds horrible. I rarely select something that I want looked up in Wikipedia, and I spend a lot of time reading without a net connection, so it would be even more useless. But, Wikepedia search is already supported after selecting the text.
Quote:
Kobo have recently added hidden support for this, so hopefully they will enable it properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Kobo already make great devices capable of competing. But, for the overwhelming majority of readers, it is not Kobo ereaders v. Kindle ereaders, but Kobo's "ecosystem" v. Amazon's "ecosystem". Amazon has Prime, Kindle Unlimited, Audible, Whispersync, far greater variety, much cheaper prices in general and vastly superior support. Hardware wise it offers an option for 3g access on its devices with no network charges. The overall experience of dealing with Amazon is far superior. I can't see Kobo ever competing. Apple or Google potentially could, but do not seem that interested.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Why do people buy Kindles instead of Kobos?

Name recognition, larger selection, Kindle only sale prices, Kindle Unlimited. It not the ereader, it's everything else.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Why do people buy Kindles instead of Kobos?

Name recognition, larger selection, Kindle only sale prices, Kindle Unlimited. It not the ereader, it's everything else.
Besides what you mention, in the US market I'd guess that outside of forums like this most people don't even know what Kobo is since they only really sell their hardware to this market through their website. I know there are a few indie bookstores here and there, but...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
daldred
Enthusiast
daldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to behold

Device: Elonex eb511
Something that would make me think of upgrading my ereader would be integrated audio - like Amazon's Whispersync. As with Whispersync, it would be optional on any one book, and only for those where a voice track was available.

Why? Because I like reading, but sometimes I just want to close my eyes and go on with the story. I can do that with a tablet running the Kindle software, of course, but the tablet is a less eye-friendly reading experience than e-ink. If I could just plug in the earphones, shut my eyes and carry on being immersed in my current story, that would be great!
daldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I believe most buy Kindles because of the amazon eco system and they don't really consider anything else.

What would be interesting is if Kobo added the amazon-store seamlessy... (with full kf7/8/x-support) and did a lot of marketing on amazon.com... Probably a stupid idea...
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I believe most buy Kindles because of the amazon eco system and they don't really consider anything else.

What would be interesting is if Kobo added the amazon-store seamlessy... (with full kf7/8/x-support) and did a lot of marketing on amazon.com... Probably a stupid idea...
I dont think that's a stupid idea but I don't think Amazon would allow it.

Generically speaking, I think people buy Kindles to be inside the Amazon system and Kobos to be outside of it. I bought the Kobo to have a good device with epub support. The handling of collections is another big, though not decisive, factor for me.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I bought an H2O for the larger screen and for the better options available when reading ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I own both. I like Amazon's store better.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The answer to the topic at hand is...

More options to set things the way you want vs the way Amazon wants. Plus, you get "enhanced typesetting" without the need for a special format (KFX). And if you life outside the USA and use Overdrive, then you do want a Reader to handle ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
TucknDar
TucknDar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
Honestly, with a modicum of tech-savvy and some guidance from folks here on the forums here, I'm far happier with my Kobo than I ever was with my Paperwhite. It seems far more customizable than Kindle.
This! I've owned a Kindle Touch and Paperwhite 1.g, but they're nowhere near as good as my Glo HD. Love the fact that there's it's so customizable.
TucknDar is offline   Reply With Quote