Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 AM   #1
jusmee
Guru
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch / Astak Pocket Pro
Just upgraded from old Mark3 Touch to H2O

Wow, what a difference!!

My old Touch N905B has been having problems for some time. The touch screen would become unresponsive and I would have to turn it off and back on again every so often to fix it. Lately it would do it every 10 pages or so !

I had an idea I might get a good deal with the new model about to hit the deck. In fact I got the H2O for $40 off, so very happy.

After the old hardware that I was used to, the large, crisp display on the H2O is brilliant. Also, it is so much more responsive, especially for page turns - even when my old Touch was working at it's best. Then there's the screen illumination. Didn't think I really needed that, but it sure is nice.

It upgraded immediately to 3.12.1 as soon as I connected via WiFi. I am finding differences in the software that I didn't see before, despite forcing my old Touch onto 3.12.1 in an effort to cure it's problems. For example, the ability to select only unread, or currently reading etc when viewing the library of books, just isn't an option on the Touch. Other cosmetic differences too. The firmware must be programmed to behave differently depending on where it finds itself running.

Amazing what a difference 3 generations of hardware (and quite a few years) can make to a device.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Wow, what a difference!!

My old Touch N905B has been having problems for some time. The touch screen would become unresponsive and I would have to turn it off and back on again every so often to fix it. Lately it would do it every 10 pages or so !

I had an idea I might get a good deal with the new model about to hit the deck. In fact I got the H2O for $40 off, so very happy.

After the old hardware that I was used to, the large, crisp display on the H2O is brilliant. Also, it is so much more responsive, especially for page turns - even when my old Touch was working at it's best. Then there's the screen illumination. Didn't think I really needed that, but it sure is nice.
That's what I thought about the light when I bought my Glo. I wanted the higher resolution screen, but thought the light was a bit of a gimmick. But, when the light died after two years of use, it was extremely hard to use the Glo. It did give me an excuse to buy the H2O
Quote:
It upgraded immediately to 3.12.1 as soon as I connected via WiFi. I am finding differences in the software that I didn't see before, despite forcing my old Touch onto 3.12.1 in an effort to cure it's problems. For example, the ability to select only unread, or currently reading etc when viewing the library of books, just isn't an option on the Touch. Other cosmetic differences too. The firmware must be programmed to behave differently depending on where it finds itself running.
Yes, the Touch and Mini still use the older UI in most places. That is missing some very good function. I keep hoping that Kobo will do the updates as the Touch is still an OK device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote