Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Red face Please don't laugh, but I have to ask?

I am one of the older members here so please forgive me if this sounds totally naive but I have to ask:

The other night I set my Nook Glow on the bedside table after I was done and made sure my cell phone was plugged in and charging. I started to set it down on top of my Nook (which was in the case), but wondered if the charging phone could somehow damage the E-ink display???

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I try not to set anything on top of my nook, just on principle. But to answer your question, no, the charging phone shouldn't affect the e-ink display.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I suspect you're more likely to physically damage the surface of the screen than anything else.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I suspect you're more likely to physically damage the surface of the screen than anything else.
Which is not to underestimate.
I've been lucky myself so far.
But there are lots of stories (legend or not, who knows?), people stating damages of the displays due to very minor bumps.
There's a substrate layer below the (glas) surface of the display.
Obviously, minor tension can be enough to stress that substrate.
And then the display can take harm.
I never put anything on top of my readers. I never transport them without protecting the display. Better safe than sorry...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Which is not to underestimate.
I've been lucky myself so far.
But there are lots of stories (legend or not, who knows?), people stating damages of the displays due to very minor bumps.
There's a substrate layer below the (glas) surface of the display.
Obviously, minor tension can be enough to stress that substrate.
And then the display can take harm.
I never put anything on top of my readers. I never transport them without protecting the display. Better safe than sorry...
I do not, in any way, disagree. I'm on my second ereader, having been an idiot on the first one, and not buying a cover.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert