Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
EldRick
Addict
EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (Sony PRS-950, Nook STR, Kobo Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Kobo Glo - what I'd like to see improved

Four issues that would improve readability on the Glo/Touch/Mini considerably - all are simple software fixes:

- More choices of font size on the middle of the range. If the current choices are 9-, 10-, 12- and 14-point, I'd like to also have 8-, 11- and 13-point, to get a better balance between font size and lines/page. As it is, it seems that the choices are always between just-too-large, and not-quite-big-enough.

- Shrink the menu-bar footer height. It could be reduced to half its present height, and still be fully functional. As it is, it wastes a line of text that could be displayed otherwise.

- An option to hide the dead menu-footer area at the bottom of the display in all books, and the header at the top of Kobo-purchased books - a book-only View. Between the header and footer, they waste two or three lines of text that could be displayed, and thus increase the number of page-turns by more than 10%. Neither header or footer add anything to the reading experience, and in fact, add an annoyance.

- Fix the obvious bug that I believe may be related to widow and orphan control; odd page-breaks in paragraphs. I often find that text stops as much as an inch above the footer and then continues on the next page normally. It is not always related to paragraph start, because it sometimes happens in the middle of a paragraph.
This causes as much as 25% extra page turns, depending on font size used, and badly needs to be fixed.

Last edited by EldRick; 11-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
ShellShock
Guru
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & PRS-650, Kobo Glo & Aura HD
Hear hear! I agree with all of your suggestions, plus I would like the line spacing minimum to be lower. Currently, with medium font sizes, the line spacing minimum seems to be about line-height: 1.5em, but it should go down to at least 1em.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I agree, especially with the first two points.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Quexos
In limbo
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Ipad Mini Retina
These are good ideas for improvement no doubt, but there is a sticky thread where you may post your suggestions for future updates:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105210

Thus I'm afraid I must lock this thread ... oh wait I can't cause I'm not a mod
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
EldRick
Addict
EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.EldRick is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (Sony PRS-950, Nook STR, Kobo Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
...I would like the line spacing minimum to be lower.
Yep - forgot about that one.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
treadlightly
Guru
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I would put the widow/orphan control thing at the top of my list. It definitely seems like a bug.
treadlightly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Four issues that would improve readability on the Glo/Touch/Mini considerably - all are simple software fixes:

- More choices of font size on the middle of the range. If the current choices are 9-, 10-, 12- and 14-point, I'd like to also have 8-, 11- and 13-point, to get a better balance between font size and lines/page. As it is, it seems that the choices are always between just-too-large, and not-quite-big-enough.

- Shrink the menu-bar footer height. It could be reduced to half its present height, and still be fully functional. As it is, it wastes a line of text that could be displayed otherwise.

- An option to hide the dead menu-footer area at the bottom of the display and the header at the top of Kobo-purchased books. Between the header and footer, they waste two or three lines of text that could be displayed, and thus increase the number of page-turns by more than 10%. Neither header or footer add anything to the reading experience, and in fact, add an annoyance.

- Fix the obvious bug that I believe may be related to widow and orphan control; odd page-breaks in paragraphs. I often find that text stops as much as an inch above the footer and then continues on the next page normally. It is not always related to paragraph start, because it sometimes happens in the middle of a paragraph.
This causes as much as 20% extra page turns, depending on font size used, and badly needs to be fixed.
I agree with all your suggestions except why limit it to Kobo books, it seems to me it should really be all books. As well as the ability to use the desktop software to manage all books wheter kobo or not.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote