Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
(PW-1) Attacked by Lab126

Yes, the first generation Paperwhite is now subject to an OTA update to the dreaded 5.6.x series firmware.

See:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201064850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.com
We have a new, free software update available for your Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation.

This update automatically downloads and installs on your Kindle Paperwhite when connected wirelessly;

However, you can also manually download the software and transfer the update to your device via USB cable.

Reported by: oumlaut
Who also reported that the 'bridge' did not appear to have worked.

- - - - -

*) Disable your wireless (put in airplane mode) ;
*) Install the Backdoor lock and lock it ;
*) DO THIS NOW!

Keep it locked and/or in airplane mode until the PW-1 jailbreak can be confirmed (by Niluje) as able to survive the update to 5.6.x on a PW-1 !

Last edited by knc1; 06-26-2015 at 04:08 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
If you are in need of a guinea pig, I have a PW-1 (with current JB, etc) that I don't really care about losing hacks on... let me know if you want to test anything out.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
Missed the dedicated thread, so I'll repeat this here: I won't have time to look into it until next Tuesday .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next Tuesday may be a good time -
The PW-3 is promised to ship that day.
(I'll do the same as done for the KT-2, not that I think it will help any.)
Old 06-26-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

can I edit the /etc/hosts file to disable update? thx
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:53 AM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1st Gen, iPad 2, iPhone 5S
What if I almost never use the hacks that I already installed and won't miss them? Is it safe to allow it to auto-update, or should I uninstall my hacks first?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:14 AM   #7
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Reported by: oumlaut Who also reported that the 'bridge' did not appear to have worked.
5.6.1.1 silently ignores kindle-jailbreak-1.14 and kindle-usbnet-0.18. I also gave the hotfix a try. Kindle issues an "Update Error".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2015_06_26T18_19_08+0259.png
Views:	71
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	139695  
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
What if I almost never use the hacks that I already installed and won't miss them? Is it safe to allow it to auto-update, or should I uninstall my hacks first?
Ah, so - an 'old timer' here.

There should no longer be any concern about the auto-update process bricking the Kindle if you leave your hacks in-place.

It should auto-update fine with all your hacks in-place ever since Amazon started making the updates complete system images.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, so - an 'old timer' here.

There should no longer be any concern about the auto-update process bricking the Kindle if you leave your hacks in-place.

It should auto-update fine with all your hacks in-place ever since Amazon started making the updates complete system images.
Does that include the Rescue Pack and the Coward's RP add-on? I'm going to eventually hand off my PW1 to someone else (who won't care about hacks) and I wouldn't want it to boot into Diags on them.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

I am not sure.
Check the [tutorial] FGA thread, I think Niluje added a post on how to "really clean" a Kindle.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Thanks! I'll go looking...

Found: FYI - from FGA's NiLuJe suggests that an update of 5.3 or > and a factory restore should 'mostly' return things to vanilla. Also @dsmid kindly included an uninstall with the CRP add-on...guess I'm good!

** $5 says I don't do them in the right order when the time comes

Last edited by GoSharks; 06-27-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Since CRP/RP relies on upstart services that will be deleted by a full-image update, it shouldn't be a problem...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #13
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Actually, Amazon/Lab126 built the firmware for the new PW-3 to also run on the PW-1, see:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262279
Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
can I edit the /etc/hosts file to disable update? thx
PRIOR TO UPGRADING:
(Because there are unconfirmed reports that Amazon killed active documents in some 5.6.x versions.)
  • Install KUAL
  • Install the Kindle Firewall with the BBB filter
  • Enable BBB filter, forget about ever reaching Amazon network, accidentally or on purpose.
  • You can also install the Backdoor Lock, for just in-case Amazon expanded their network.
BIG NOTE:
You have to re-enable the Kindle Firewall after every re-start.
It was designed that way.

Last edited by knc1; 07-01-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #15
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie

Amazon/Lab126 just have to do their thing (without asking us).
I use "hobby time" on this "load of bricks dropped on my PW1" when, where and if I can find it.

I think they call that "life" -