Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
zooterkin
zooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-bookszooterkin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi + 3G
Happy 10th Birthday!

My favourite section is the Amazon Kindle section. I've picked up some very useful tips from there which have increased my enjoyment of my Kindle.

As for making it better, it's hard to improve on perfection.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla7 View Post
I have used the search box a lot to find information about specific topics. Maybe a filtering option to find results only from a certainc forum or in a specific date range would help.
FYI, you can do quite a bit of filtering by using the Advanced Search feature (look down below the search boxes).
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Holy digit selection bias - ten years!

The Kobo Reader forum is my favorite https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223 because I have a Kobo and it is an amusing assortment of alturistic helpers, class clowns, and malcontents.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #34
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Happy Birthday!

I've been here for almost two years, since the day I decided to buy a Kindle in December 2010. At that time I would have said my favorite place was the Amazon Kindle forum. But, oh, how things change. Now I'm not sure I could choose! But if I must...

General Discussions, as that is where I probably spend the most time, and some of my favorite threads have happened there, even if many got moved to the Lounge later (sometimes at my request), like this one. This post, which led to my avatar, is part of the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread, which is still going strong in General after nearly a year and half.

The fact that I am still here speaks volumes. I don't think I've ever gotten to 500 posts on any forum, but I've got over 2600 here. I rarely stick around more than a couple of months, but yet here I am after two years. This place is wonderful and it is my internet home. There are people that I met here that I now count among my friends, not just internet acquaintances.

How to make it better? I honestly can't say. For every idea that comes to mind, there are downsides as well. Maybe change "Politics and Religion" to "Politics, Religion and Operating Systems"?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #35
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My favorite section is probably General Discussion ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215 ).

I like the depth and scope of our discusssions there. Reading Recommendations is probably my #2 favorite, as a source of reviews from people I've gotten to know a little.

Making it better is tricky. Sometimes I'd like to see more moderation but then I don't want heavy-handed moderation. Paradox. Okay, I am certain more fleshed-out and stickied FAQ posts would be handy to point noobs to, rather than rehashing the same topic in a new thread.

MobileRead is, in general, wonderful for scratching that same itch I have, a joy and lust for digital reading.
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #36
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi. I like the Kindle Developers section,

It could be improved by making the "LAST" page link BE AT THE TOP of every page as well as the bottom in .mobi mode.

This would save tons of unnecessary scrolling and make the site more usable on a variety of mobile browsers. And would of course benefit all the various subforums.

Live chat will undoubtedly make the experience more visceral and if we are really getting fancy: A single place to "Announce" new software would also be great

The last one we could probably do for ourselves. but a tiny subchannel for announcements might have value.
EDIT: meh, we can sort that out among the scrum.

: ) Hope you have a nice versary.

(the "last" pag link on the TOP of every page - in addition to the bottom - would ROCK my world) thanks

Last edited by twobob; 10-30-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: we can do that
Old 10-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Happy Birthday MR!
It’s been three years since I joined the forum. With every passing day, I seem to spend more time here than any other place; now that’s an addiction
My favourite sections are News, deals and reading recommendations and calibre support.
About changes for better, I don’t know if I can suggest anything more. Maybe, as someone has previously suggested, it will be helpful if the thread on what are we reading can be divided into various genre.

din
Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #38
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
My favourite forum section has changed over the years, it used to be the device specific one, especially when I was looking to buy my first ereader. However, now it's probably the one I post in the least, the "deals, freebies and resources". I've grabbed several bargains I'd likely have otherwise missed due to members posting in there. A close second would be the news and general discussions because you can frequently find interesting debates going on that on the whole remain debates and don't (often) descend into flame fests.

However, if you want the favourite part of the site as a whole, it's the mobile read library. It's clear several members have spent a great deal of time and effort putting it together and formatting books for it.

Improvements wise, I'm not really sure. I guess the biggest hurdle is knowing that a book in the library is worth reading and really that's covered by the topics going on in the reading recommendations forum and the book clubs sub forum which I've only just realised exists I knew about the book club thread some time ago, didn't realise there was now a dedicated forum.

Happy 10th

Last edited by JoeD; 10-30-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I am not techy so I dont get involved much But love to hang out & read different things about Kindles & Sony LOL I joined to get help with my Literati. I stay cause so many member are willing to help dummies like me LOL As for improvements would be nice to beable to pick our favs like Kindle or Sony forums etc & just go to them without wadding thre the other forums.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

As a relative newcomer it is hard to believe that the site has been around that long, or that ebook readers have. So many years I spent ignorant. So my favorite forum has to be Reading Recommendations, especially the sub-forum Book Clubs. It has introduced me to so many books that I would never otherwise have known of and induced me to read many fine books I would never have cracked open downloaded and displayed otherwise.

I really don't have any ideas about improvements. This site has been a great resource since the day I was first steered to it.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #41
Jack's Liver
Funk Master General
Jack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the roughJack's Liver is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3 / CRUZ T103 BRICKED / Sony PRS-300 Gifted to a :) kid / N7
Happy Birthday Hot Stuff.
Thanks for the kindle forum .
Don't change a thing.
maybe make a "Forum Rules" video like the one from xda .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA : )
Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My favorite section is the Book Club subforum. I'm happy with my devices and managing my library; the point is to read, and the Book Clubs are the place for an ongoing chat about reading. And then there are the books I'd never know if not for their nomination by like-minded types.

Not a suggestion, really, but I wish the clubs were more visible.

Happy Birthday, MR!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #43
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
My favorite is the freebies and bargains forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26). I'm afraid to ask for improvements because I spend enough as a result of it. I used to morer time in the News forum, but too many threads got long with neverending debated on DRM and the like.

One suggestion is that if you post a bargain, and people respond to your thread to talk about the book or author or thank you, it would be nice if you responded. There. I thought of something. I've also seen a post or two where someone asked why a mod removed a post or edited a thread, and there wasn't a post from the mod. I know everyone posts a lot, so you can't always find the time to respond, but sometimes it can keep a forum more lively. Posting bargains is great, but talking about them is even better. I always smile when I see a Robert Walker freebie postef because I want to see what Dr. Drib says.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #44
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T2, Note II
Congratulations Mobileread!!
My favorite section on mobileread is definitely the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Deals, Freebies, and Resources Section LOL recently I'm visiting it too much But I like nook and sony prs section more as whenever I needed help or I panicked then people readily helped me and I'm totally overwhelmed. I really can't suggest what modification these forums require as I always got plenty of tips whenever I came running for help.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #45
JAdams
SamIam
JAdams doesn't litterJAdams doesn't litterJAdams doesn't litter

Device: iPad, K3, Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX
Happy Birthday !
I first came here to learn all about my kindle. I found so much information and so many helpful people I had to stick around. I'm not a big poster, but I lurk here everyday. There always seems to be something new. I don't have a favorite section anymore, now I mostly pop open 'Todays Posts' and get a little bit of everything.

Thank you Mobileread !
Closed Thread