Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony650
Apparently the difference in tax situation between BookBaby (not requiring a U.S. tax number) and Amazon (etc. that do), is not necessarily inconsistent with the way tax is handled in the U.S.. I won't try to pass on my accountant's explanation, I'm not certain I understood all of it, but the end result is that he was not concerned about the difference.

ETA: This is not formal advice, just passing on what I was told. The upshot being that I am no longer concerned about what I had thought was an inconsistency.

Last edited by gmw; 11-04-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Disclaimer
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Presumably if one went with BookBaby and allowed them to distribute to Amazon as well as B&N etc. one would only get 35% royalties. Anyone know if this is the case? If Amazon paid the full 70% it would be a way round the US tax problem for non-US writers expecting a reasonable volume of sales. You'd still have to deduct BookBaby's fee, of course, but that would be a fixed overhead.

Update: Just checked my BookBaby account... You do get 70% royalties from Amazon - the same deal as you would get if you published directly.

Last edited by MartinC; 11-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
vadimzn
vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Angry Incredible problems with Bookbaby

Hello,
I would like to share my experience with Bookbaby. I began publishing with them in June 2012. I published four of my e-books with them. I have sold a single copy of one of my books since then. Other books have sold from 8 to 18 copies during all the period. Meanwhile I have been selling the same books through other distributors like Smashwords and Amazon. I found out sell numbers at Bookbaby are about a fifty times less than at Smashwords and a hundred times less then at Amazon. I decided to quit with Bookbaby in December 2012 because I wanted to participate in Amazon KDP Select program which requires exclusive publishing with Amazon. Bookbaby answered my first e-mail and sent me instructions on what information they wanted me to send them per e-mail. I sent my first cancellation e-mail on 20.12.12. Two months later I discovered they have not removed any of my titles! I have sent them another e-mail on 20.02.13 with the same result! Well, I have received e-mails from KDP Select with warnings that my titles are available at Kobo and iBookstore. I checked the links - sure they are published by Bookbaby. Yesterday I phoned them and they said they have not received ANY CANCELLATION E-MAILS FROM ME. Wow. I sent them three e-mails after I talked to them and phoned them two hours later. You bet. They have not received them again. All my e-mails got lost on the way to them :0) I am in Ukraine and they are in the US and it is a long way. I have been using my e-mail provider for years and nobody have complained about not receiving my e-mails.
Can anybody recommend a way to check sell numbers at Sony Books, iBookstore, B&N and Kobo they show on my account page? I think the numbers are fake. I am also going to file a complaint against them. Can anybody give a hint on how I should begin with it?
Best,
Vadim
vadimzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony650
Vadim, I am not certain what hints I could offer other than what you have already tried.

I can't give any reliable information about how BookBaby has been for me because so far I've only been with them about three months, which means I've only see results for the first month ... and there wasn't a lot to see . But the few Amazon sales certainly showed up (I don't go direct to Amazon, but can see the sales summary on authorcentral).

I do know that it all takes much longer to happen that it really should, but I'm not certain how much of that is BookBaby's fault. It is disturbing to hear that they appeared to ignore your cancellation emails. If I've had a complaint about BookBaby in my short time with them it's how slow they are to respond to emails (generally a week), but so far they have actually responded to my few queries (I just wouldn't like to be holding my breath waiting).

I would be interested to hear how you get on, and whether BookBaby eventually get their act together and sort out the problem for you.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll give Book Baby 3 1/2 stars (out of 5)

My two cents (in a generic way): I almost went with Book Baby. As someone mentioned Book Baby has phone support, and the phone support was excellent: knowledgeable people, patient, answering a lot of questions (and I wasn't even a client). As I recall though, the package I was interested in was $249.

The notion of all those outlets was exciting. Plus the record keeping. But all those outlets would be for nought if you decieded to go with Amazon's KDP Select.

And I too wasn't thrilled with the idea of paying for corrections at Book Baby.

Smashwords, I know a lot of people love it. I've heard getting a Word doc. through it, esp. if you know no html, is really efficient. But I've also heard that the style of the book is not quite what it should be (once Smashword's meatgrinder gets done with it.) But that's just what I heard. (But from a lot of reliable sources.)

Ultimately I started learning how to format myself. I started with a couple of short stories just to feel out the process. I started with Mobi Pocket Creator and now I've moved on (with the novels I'm doing) to Sigil.

Having the control is so key to me. I have a lot of language that is slangy. "Goin'" instead of "Going," that sort of thing. I would hate for anybody at a Book Baby type place thinking those were spelling errors and correcting them. Esp. since the same character (at different times) will say "goin'" and "going."

The cost was a consideration too. If you're going to write a lot of books, $249 a pop adds up. (I don't know what they charge for short stories.)

Plus I liked the idea of starting small (just in Amazon for now.)

HTH
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: Kindle3-3G, Archos 43
My circumstances don't really give me an interest in Bookbaby.

I see three main questions.

1. Is a relationship with them helpful in that:
a) useful information/aid is given in a timely manner?
b) good sales are gained?
c) overall there is a satisfying cost/performance ratio?

The individual has to judge these things for himself.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
BookBabyCS
BookBabyCS began at the beginning.

Reply to Vadimzn

Hello Vadim,

We are very sorry that we were not receiving your emails after 16.12.12. Customer Service did submit a service ticket to our IT department on 04.03.13, after you spoke with them. We were not aware that you had been trying to email us until you called. It looks like the last two emails that you sent to books@bookbaby.com on 05.03.13 did get through to us! This was after the ticket that was issued to IT was addressed. It looks like your emails were being blocked from hitting our server, for some reason. This appears to have been remedied now.
In case you did not see my response to your same post on the KDP forum, we do require written confirmation from authors prior to cancelling a book. It is a permanent action and we want to make sure that there are safety measures in place. We recognize that in this case, our effort to ensure author security had been a hindrance for you and I apologize for that. We took your post on KDP as your official direction to permanently cancel all four of the ebooks that you submitted with us. We began the process of removal from all retailers that we distributed your ebooks to on 05.03.13.
Amazon does traditionally see higher sales numbers than most of the other retailers, so I am not too surprised to hear that you are seeing higher sales from your ebooks there. We are still waiting for sales reports from some retailers for December 2012 and have just begun to see January sales reports. All sales reports that we have received have been posted to your account.

Thank you,
Tara
BookBaby
Customer Service Manager
877-961-6878
Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm PST
BookBabyCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
vadimzn
vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vadimzn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for answering my post, guys. Tara, the titles have been removed. Thanks. However it is really disappointing when e-mails get unanswered for months. Moreover sells numbers seem suspicious to me. So I requested a printed sells report in case my account by Bookbaby is deleted.
Greg, I would stick to Amazon and Smashwords. They are selling WAY more than any other single distributor.
vadimzn is offline   Reply With Quote