Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Should each month's category in 2013 be unique or are repeated genres OK?
Each month should be a different category or genre. 14 48.28%
Repeats of certain categories/genres should be considered. 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Should each month's category in 2013 be unique?

Should each month in 2013 be unique, or should we consider repeats of certain categories? There has been much said about the fact that we currently have two "Classics" month, leading many to conclude that each month's genre should be different. What do you think? Are repeats of certain popular genres acceptable, or should each month be dedicated to a separate category?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I am voting for the second option, that repeats should be considered.

My reasoning is:

*After this, we will be voting on categories separately, and I don't feel our options should be limited. If we don't want repeats, then it will just as well be decided as we vote on which specific categories to have or not have. So nothing will be lost by having repeats allowed, if that's what the group wants.

*I feel this way of putting the question is basically somewhat unnecessary and strange. It seems that a "repeat" is only categories with the exact same title wording. Why should two months with pretty much the exact same type of nominations be allowed (Mystery and Thriller) if "repeats" aren't? So because of this strangeness, I feel we'd be better off without this rule muddying things up.

*I feel that, with such limitations as is presented, this question seems like it is basically a referendum on the second classics month masquerading as something else. I feel that if we want to do away with the second classic then it would be cleaner to be decided directly by a vote on the second classic month, not on this seemingly bureaucratic middle-layer rule. At least if the second classic month is voted down in its own poll it will feel like it was decided directly rather than roundabout.

*Because of all the above-mentioned possible ambiguity and muddiness of this rule which may only create more debate, I feel it would be simpler for us to not have this rule and just simply vote on each category we're interested in removing or adding.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Unique categories will simplify the selection process and at least on paper will encourage variety, so I'll support that.

In practice I don't think it will have much impact due to overlap.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have added Jon's vote to the tally as he instructed me to via email.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I would like each month to be a unique category, in part because there will certainly be several genres/categories excluded, and I'd like to avoid arguments about "we should replace the second [classics] month with [my genre of choice]." Also, given that there *are* several more genres than we're going to have space for (although any book could be nominated at least once--in free-for-all if nowhere else), I'd like the widest possible variety of categories.

I agree that, on the practical side of things, it's not likely to make a whole lot of difference; many books will fit in more than one category. But I'd like the neatness of 12 months, 12 categories.

(As a side note, not related to voting: I'd also like us to develop a list of definitions, or at least descriptions, for the categories we settle on. I don't care that they be absolute, but I'd like some working consensus on what a "classic" is, and where the lines are between SF and Fantasy. I'd prefer we don't actually police nominations or decisions--if the MR nomination and vote process decides to select "Wayne of Gotham" as fantasy, or Charlotte's Web as a classic, that's fine with me. But I'd like to give nominators an idea of what's likely to be well-received in a given month.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I would like each month to be a unique category, in part because there will certainly be several genres/categories excluded, and I'd like to avoid arguments about "we should replace the second [classics] month with [my genre of choice]." Also, given that there *are* several more genres than we're going to have space for (although any book could be nominated at least once--in free-for-all if nowhere else), I'd like the widest possible variety of categories.

I agree that, on the practical side of things, it's not likely to make a whole lot of difference; many books will fit in more than one category. But I'd like the neatness of 12 months, 12 categories.

(As a side note, not related to voting: I'd also like us to develop a list of definitions, or at least descriptions, for the categories we settle on. I don't care that they be absolute, but I'd like some working consensus on what a "classic" is, and where the lines are between SF and Fantasy. I'd prefer we don't actually police nominations or decisions--if the MR nomination and vote process decides to select "Wayne of Gotham" as fantasy, or Charlotte's Web as a classic, that's fine with me. But I'd like to give nominators an idea of what's likely to be well-received in a given month.)
Excellent post & ideas!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would like each month to be a unique category...because...I'd like to avoid arguments about "we should replace the second [classics] month with [my genre of choice]."
I don't know how the categories will be decided, but I've suggested a plan of voting on removing/adding categories in the discussion thread that would make this consideration moot whether or not this current rule passes. In the proposed plan, we would vote on removals and additions separately, so there'd be no "let's replace X with Y". We would decide on which categories to remove or combine alone, would then end up with a certain amount of empty categories, and then decide on which new categories have the most support to fill up the now-empty months.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Out of curiosity, what are some examples of categories that aren't already included? I looked at the current list and came up blank. I'm wondering what could eventually replace Classics.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
That was what I was wondering too.

I am fine with every solution but I will vote the second one as it gives us more choices and flexibility, like sun surfer pointed out.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
That was what I was wondering too.

I am fine with every solution but I will vote the second one as it gives us more choices and flexibility, like sun surfer pointed out.
Same here
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Out of curiosity, what are some examples of categories that aren't already included? I looked at the current list and came up blank. I'm wondering what could eventually replace Classics.
Some recent suggested categories in the Discussion/Suggestion thread were Biographies, award winners, and YA.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Potential other categories include, but are not limited to (I think all of these have been mentioned in the discussions at some point or another):
  • Award-Winners
  • Young Adult
  • Biography (splitting "nonfic" into two categories)
  • Classics-by-age and Classics-by-popularity, or other split of the Classics category
  • War/Military (fiction and non)
  • Free ebooks (guaranteeing that everyone has access that month)
  • Historical Fiction
  • Literary Fiction (we'd have to define it...)

I can think of several ways to split nonfiction into multiple categories; none of them have simple, neat labels. Maybe someone else could come up with that.

Categories that haven't been suggested, even in passing, include Sports, Religion, Erotica, Travel, Poetry, Anthologies, GLBT, and Cooking. (I think. I could be misremembering, or of course something could've been mentioned on a thread I wasn't watching.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I believe that a Young Adult category would be well worth considering. A substantial number of such works are equally enjoyable and challenging for adults. The Dark Angel trilogy by Pierce is an example; the original first three Earthsea volumes--especially the second book, The Tombs of Atuan--which can be read as a stand-alone--is another.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Just to be clear (I think it's clear, but some more casual observers may not realise it), this is not a poll on whether we should add new categories. This isn't a one-and-done, if it passes we get new categories, if it doesn't we don't, sort of thing.

Whether this passes or not, we will still have votes later on for which categories we should remove, including possibly the second classic.

Consider voting for the second option to allow repeats because of the ambiguity of this rule and because if you don't want a second classic, it's cleaner to vote it down in its own poll.

Quote:
Potential other categories include, but are not limited to (I think all of these have been mentioned in the discussions at some point or another):
Here are two more that were mentioned that you could add:

-Drama (not plays) - We could really use a category for "normal" plots, no wizards, no aliens, no serial killers, etc. We currently have no category that could fit in many good books because the plots don't fall into some special genre, so this category could fill that hole.

-Adventure - As in, travelling, exploring, etc. It could include books from say, Crocodile on the Sandbank, to The Princess Bride, to Indiana Jones type stories, to spy thrillers such as James Bond, to westerns, to even The Odyssey. I think it could be a great category.

So in a way travel was mentioned in passing but I also like the idea of a specifically travel category too. Perhaps it could be Adventure/Travel? Maybe one sounds more fiction and the other more non-fiction but it could be interesting having a category with a mixture of the two on the same subject.

Also, I like classics split by age. Perhaps we could do 20th century classics and pre-20th century classics or something similar? But, what do you mean by classics by popularity?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Some recent suggested categories in the Discussion/Suggestion thread were Biographies, award winners, and YA.
Quote:
  • Award-Winners
  • Young Adult
  • Biography (splitting "nonfic" into two categories)
  • Classics-by-age and Classics-by-popularity, or other split of the Classics category
  • War/Military (fiction and non)
  • Free ebooks (guaranteeing that everyone has access that month)
  • Historical Fiction
  • Literary Fiction (we'd have to define it...)

[...] Categories that haven't been suggested, even in passing, include Sports, Religion, Erotica, Travel, Poetry, Anthologies, GLBT, and Cooking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Here are two more that were mentioned that you could add:

-Drama [...]
-Adventure
Thank you. I couldn't think of any additional categories. Some of these would be somewhat redundant, or at least overlap. (We have award-winners as nominees every month; most young adult fiction is also some other category, like sci-fi or fantasy; another mobileread book club is already devoted to literary fiction...)

Truth is, I'm indifferent. I'll abstain and be happy with whatever the majority decides.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 10-27-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote