Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #586
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I like your device status heatherlynn
lol thank you! i was trying to bring some comic relief to myself
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #587
Yolina
Fanatic
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW2 wifi, Sony PRS 650
Or should that be "colourful limbo, with random bits of light shinning through"
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #588
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

okay just got back from staples and i am not completely happy with this device but i am DONE! this one looks almost exact to the first replacement i received with the pink and green hues but i am realizing i will not be getting a 'perfect' device.

one thing that scared me though is when i went to menu to turn off recommended content, the setting drop-down menu appeared on the opposite side of the screen i am hoping that was just a one-time fluke but i guess a reboot should fix that if it happens again

it is an 'older' batch though. it's a 603 with no white specks

Last edited by heatherlynn; 02-27-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #589
heatherlynn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Or should that be "colourful limbo, with random bits of white shinning through"
LOL exactly! though the device i have now is just 'colorful limbo' we have eliminated the white specks!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #590
heatherlynn
Connoisseur

for anyone interested, i just got a response back from the email i sent. he was someone from customer relations and said that the color hues are normal so i guess it is confirmed. he did say that the bright specks were not okay and that he agreed i wasn't treated fairly by milena. that was all the information i needed but he said he would follow up with me in a couple days concerning the bright specks. i'm satisfied with his reply and i am glad that they are admitting the hues exist and that they can't fix them at this point.

the paperwhite i purchased at staples does actually have bright specks as well but can only be seen when the device is tilted up which of course i don't read that way so it's not a problem. i just hope they don't become prevalent down the road
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #591
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
for anyone interested, i just got a response back from the email i sent. he was someone from customer relations ...
Is his name Andrew? It may be a coincidence, but "Amazon Andrew" contacted two of us on this thread, so I wonder if it's just him or if they have more than him helping customers with defective PWs out.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #592
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
for anyone interested, i just got a response back from the email i sent. he was someone from customer relations and said that the color hues are normal so i guess it is confirmed.
I had a very good Amazon rep tell me that they all had the hues. If they all have hues, and the hues are considered "normal", and Amazon isn't acknowledging that it's a defect, then is there any reason to believe that the next generation of PW's will be free of color hues? I'm beginning to doubt it. People have been complaining about these hues since the PW was released, yet the PW's are still being shipped out with the same problems. Nothing has changed. I just think that those of us who clearly notice the hues are in the minority, and therefore Amazon really has no incentive to do anything about it.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #593
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K5, KFire, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I had a very good Amazon rep tell me that they all had the hues. If they all have hues, and the hues are considered "normal", and Amazon isn't acknowledging that it's a defect, then is there any reason to believe that the next generation of PW's will be free of color hues? I'm beginning to doubt it. People have been complaining about these hues since the PW was released, yet the PW's are still being shipped out with the same problems. Nothing has changed. I just think that those of us who clearly notice the hues are in the minority, and therefore Amazon really has no incentive to do anything about it.
I agree totally. I believe they all have hues, some are worse than others it's just not everyone is as sensitive to them as some of us are. I have seen a couple pics of PW's that I don't see the hues as obviously on in the pic, but I know if I had the device in my hand I'd see them under the right circumstances. It's inherent to the way the PW is made, imo.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #594
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I have seen a couple pics of PW's that I don't see the hues as obviously on in the pic, but I know if I had the device in my hand I'd see them under the right circumstances. It's inherent to the way the PW is made, imo.
Yes. Mine looks pretty darn good, but it still has the hues. They just aren't that obvious. If they were all like that, I wouldn't find it too objectionable. What bothers me more than anything is the inconsistency. Every single PW screen I've seen is different. A company of Amazon's size, reputation and financial resources has no excuse for producing products with such glaring inconsistencies. They are supposed to be better than that.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #595
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

damn have missed a heap of msgs with the time difference again!

heather glad you got an email back from the jeff email, at least the Andrew guy (same name as me) is acknowledging the issues. So you said you went to Staples and bought one that looks good enough?

I dont see how there can be such differences between the devices... you'd think whatever the thing is (flattened optical fibre, whatever that is haha) would be consistent across kindles... leds would be near identical and placed in same spots. Yet its like a lotto, one Kindle great, next a dud, all rollin off the production line.

My 'old' 502 replacement should arrive today... crossing everything its a keeper!!
drewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #596
Yolina
Fanatic
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW2 wifi, Sony PRS 650
I got quite lucky with PW #2 in that I can't see any hues under normal everyday use. I can some green if I whack the light on high but that's pretty much it as far as colour blotches are concerned.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #597
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok not good news at all. The replacement is bad - green hue in a circular patch top left half of green, and then towards the bottom third as well. I've actually not yet had a device with these coloured hues at all.... the grey line one was perfect (and actually much whiter screen, this one is again yellow). sparklemotion and others with 50x's, is the screen more yellow than white? The shadows at the bottom are also alot more noticeable than any other PPW I've seen, even though yes I know these are 'normal'.

I cant help but notice this green hues no matter what. ARGH!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #598
NullNix
Connoisseur
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Ok not good news at all. The replacement is bad - green hue in a circular patch top left half of green, and then towards the bottom third as well. I've actually not yet had a device with these coloured hues at all.... the grey line one was perfect (and actually much whiter screen, this one is again yellow). sparklemotion and others with 50x's, is the screen more yellow than white?
Everyone keeps talking about these hues... I don't know if I was fantastically lucky or if I am just blind as a bat, but my device is hueless, with a single dust speck in the middle of the screen (completely ignorable) and a whitish-yellow screen cast. Batch 502. I've never had to send one back: this is not only the only Paperwhite I've ever owned but the only one I've ever seen, now I'm not riding the trains every day and surrounded by other Kindlers.

I was actually expecting hues and was very surprised to not get any -- given that the Paperwhite's light guide is basically a fibre optic cable on its side mixed with a diffraction grating, I expected some diffraction effects, but I can see none.

Quote:
The shadows at the bottom are also alot more noticeable than any other PPW I've seen, even though yes I know these are 'normal'.
The visibility of the shadows depends on the external light level and the LED level, so probably one of those is different.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #599
drewh
Connoisseur

NullNix I think you've been lucky - I have another PPW I bought originally as well as another that these now two replacements have come for, and neither had any hues at all to my eyes. This one, without question, has a green hue in two spots - I've tried different brightnesses etc. I thought maybe some peoples eyes were more sensitive and luckily I couldnt see them (prob true about sensitive eyes), but with this I can def see it.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #600
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I agree totally. I believe they all have hues, some are worse than others it's just not everyone is as sensitive to them as some of us are. I have seen a couple pics of PW's that I don't see the hues as obviously on in the pic, but I know if I had the device in my hand I'd see them under the right circumstances. It's inherent to the way the PW is made, imo.
It is indeed inherent. I've been saying that since the start of the thread. I'm happy that someone at last agrees with me . The light diffuser of the PW is a diffraction grating, and colour hues are inherent in it. The reason every one is different is due to very tiny variations in how parallel the two faces of the light diffuser are. It's impossible to make them all look exactly the same.

If someone is bothered by this (and personally it doesn't bother me in the slightest) it's pointless to keep on getting replacements. Bright specks are a different matter - that's a fault.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote