Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
jasem200
Enthusiast
jasem200 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Very new for electronic eBook readers

hi everyone

i'm interesting of eReaders because i buy so many books and that cost me too much, and i think that this will save alot of money.
i orderd iLiad V2 after i read some reviews and compare it with other devices.
but i need to ask some Qs about it.

is the V1, V2... upgradeable from old to new version or it is a new hardware.
did i make good choice by ordering iLiad V2
jasem200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasem200 View Post
The v2 has a redesigned case back, better protection for the internal workings, and a longer-lasting battery. And the travel hub is smaller. I believe they did do an upgrade offer at one time, but it's now closed. The software is upgraded too, but that continues to be upgraded.

I hope you made a good choice, because I've just ordered one too!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The improved battery time alone is reason enough for the V2. For me at least. And i personally feel, that the device has a more solid feel to it.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
hi everyone

i'm interesting of eReaders because i buy so many books and that cost me too much, and i think that this will save alot of money.
i orderd iLiad V2 after i read some reviews and compare it with other devices.
but i need to ask some Qs about it.

The ilIad is not an eReader as it will not read eReader format with DRM. eReader was created to be used with palm type devices. No enink reader supprts eReader with DRM.

The misuse of the term eReader has been known to cause confusion. So please use the term eReader responsibly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
jasem200
Enthusiast

but i have no idea wht r u talking about. and i mentioned that i'm Very new in this and i dont know any of this terms, and i thought that it is an eReader
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
jasem200
Enthusiast

by the way
is iLiad has feature to search inside books for a word
Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
but i have no idea wht r u talking about. and i mentioned that i'm Very new in this and i dont know any of this terms, and i thought that it is an eReader
Lots of people call a device that you can read ebooks on an "eReader". However, the word 'eReader" is already used by a company to refer to some software/ebook format:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ereader

So, it's usually a very good idea to avoid using the word "ereader" when talking about ebook reader devices so that people don't get confused and think you are talking about the software/format (It has happened before, with someone on this forum reporting that they bought an "ereader" book, not realising that an "ereader" book will only work on the those Palm-type devices Jon mentions).

The general term most used is "ebook reader device". (I think we need to come up with something shorter though, don't you? ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
is iLiad has feature to search inside books for a word
The iLiad MobiPocket Reader will search for words (definitions) in an open MOBI dictionary, and will lookup a word in a MOBI dictionary when you are reading an e-book, but you can't search for a word in an e-book (as you can with the Windows MobiPocket Reader for example). FBReader will search for a word in the currently open e-book. The PDF reader does not support search, although this might be available at some point since similar PDF readers (on other devices) can do so.

The Kindle has the advantage of supporting essentially only one format (AZW/MOBI), but it is the only E-Ink based reader that does a device-wide search of all documents. This is fast, because each new document is indexed when first installed on the device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ilIad is not an eReader as it will not read eReader format with DRM. eReader was created to be used with palm type devices. No enink reader supprts eReader with DRM.

The misuse of the term eReader has been known to cause confusion. So please use the term eReader responsibly.
Ease off there, the person who made the post is a new member to this site and your aggressive comment is not helpful.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
jasem200
Enthusiast

thanx all for your help,
and i cant wait to get my iLiad to share with you and learn more from you.

Thank you
Old 01-24-2008, 03:39 AM   #11
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Quote:

Hi JSWolf!

... just want to mention that I have used "eReader" in a thread myself - and have been "warned off" by you.

Your motives certainly are right (helping newbies to not get confused); but I'm sure in the long run you won't succeed in banning the word® "eReader" from public consciousness and use ...
There are lots of examples where a once introduced name for a specific brand/ product has become a meta-name for later follow-up products!

I suggest that you now and then make people aware of possible irritations to themselves/others when using this word® - but not ask them to avoid it completely.

But really... I will use "eReader" in future and let palm sue me
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Ease off there, the person who made the post is a new member to this site and your aggressive comment is not helpful.
We've already had a psot by someone who did purchase some eBooks in eReaderformat by mistake because of the use of the term eReader being used incorrectly. I'm just trying to help avoid any further problems by the confusion this can cause. For example, BookonBoard has the Gen3 for sale. They also sell eReader format eBooks.

Give this link ... http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ook&BOOK=92024 ... it is possible that someone might say that since no Mobipocket eBook is in the format list, I'll purchase eReader since it is the same thing. And it really is not. The Gen3 won't handle it at all. It's just too easy for someone new to eBooks to get confused by all of the different terms and if we allow eReader to be used to mean eink based eBook reader then we are doing everyone a disservice in allowing the confusion to continue.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Point taken Jon, just thought the tone of your post came across a little harsh, glad to know it was only an effort on your part to clear confusion. The issues around formats are very real and can cause confusion.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Point taken Jon, just thought the tone of your post came across a little harsh, glad to know it was only an effort on your part to clear confusion. The issues around formats are very real and can cause confusion.
I do apologize about that. But sometimes it's easy to come across the wrong way in print. Anyway, I'm glad we are sorted. I just don't want people thinking that they can purchase eReader format ebooks or that a given eink device supports them. That would make the purchase possibly incorrect given faulty information. if I was choosing between the Gen3 and the 505 and thought that the Gen3 also read eReader format, I would go with the Gen3 for the wrong reason.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
I do apologize about that. But sometimes it's easy to come across the wrong way in print.
Accompanying your text with a picture of a wolf that looks as though it would like to eat the reader might not help
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote