Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
san3
san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.

Device: PW2
Mounting windows shares on kindle PW2 (542)

Hi,

at last I managed to mount my samba shares on kindle paperwhite 2 with cifs and wanted to share the howto in case anyone else is interested.
I'm not really used to compiling stuff for linux yet, so there might be easier ways, but it works.

First I compiled the cifs kernel module from recent Kernel sources
With codesourcerys arm toolchain. For details on compiling the kernel check yifalu's page or Christan Hoffs

In short
Code:
make make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=PATH TO YOUR TOOLCHAIN/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- imx60_wario_defconfig
make make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=PATH TO YOUR TOOLCHAIN/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig
here you choose the modules 
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=PATH TO YOUR TOOLCHAIN/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- modules

It took me a while to find out all the modules required for cifs to work.
First of all: the cifs.ko
Additionally different crypto modules:
md5.ko
md4.ko
des_generic.ko
hmac.ko

After compiling I loaded the into the kernel
Code:
insmod /PATH to/module.ko
and mounted my samba share with cifs
Code:
mount -t cifs //server/share /PATH TO FOLDER -o user=X,password=Y
I included the kernel modules, but i expect they only work for kernel version 5.4.2
Attached Files
File Type: rar kernel module.rar (114.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by san3; 01-09-2014 at 02:58 PM.
san3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Very nicely done! I don't have a PW2, but the process should be the same. Thanks!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by san3 View Post
I included the kernel modules, but i expect they only work for kernel version 5.4.2
Ah - they only work for the version of the Kernel that shipped with **FIRMWARE** version 5.4.2
(Use: uname -a command to display that information.)

Which, in general, never changes during the lifetime of the product regardless of other firmware updates.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
san3
san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.san3 is faster than slow light.

ah yes of course ... Kernel Version is 3.0.35
hmm ... now that I think of it:
It doesn't look as if they switched the kernel between 5.40 and 5.42 right ?
I recently compiled a tun.ko module from the sources included in the 5.40 code release that didn't work on v. 5.42 kindle. I had to recompile using
the sources from 5.42 ...
Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O
Good old symbols table issue?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
san3

Possible ... but I'm not sure I get the "good old symbols table issue" yet - have to find some time to read about it.

Anyway: I made a small kual extension including the modules and a bit of code to load everything. Just edit the mount.sh and unmount.sh according to your needs.

Btw: I have had no issues with this, but it should be considered as experimental.

Last edited by san3; 01-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Possible ... but I'm not sure I get the "good old symbols table issue" yet - have to find some time to read about it.

Anyway: I made a small kual extension including the modules and a bit of code to load everything. Just edit the mount.sh and unmount.sh according to your needs.

Btw: I have had no issues with this, but it should be considered as experimental.
Thanks for the files - it seems zip or gz files are preferred here. If it works well, consider adding it to the KUAL extensions sticky thread. You can specify PW2 only if you want.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
san3

ok. np

Please post your experiences if you try this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SambaShare.zip (338.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
brianinmaine
Evangelist

I have a kindle touch running 5.3.7 firmware with an older kernel:
Linux kindle 2.6.31-rt11-lab126 #1 Fri Jul 12 02:22:50 PDT 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux

I tried to make the same modules as you did, but some didn't like to me modules in my make menuconfig? I did make cifs, hmac, and md4 if they are needed (attached). I don't have a windows machine nearby to test, but I can mount a samba share in linux. Not quite the same

Oh - I used imx50_yoshime_defconfig instead of:
imx50_yoshi_defconfig
imx50_yoshime_defconfig
imx50_yoshime3_defconfig

I wasn't sure which to start with, so I guessed.

I built the kernel modules in my qemu chroot partition and then copied them over. Seems to work for me, but I would love to hear anyone else testing this also!
Attached Files
File Type: zip cifs.zip (104.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 09-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #10
anaythea
anaythea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
ok. np

Please post your experiences if you try this.
Getting insmod error -1 "Invalid module format" from inserting the .ko files on kernel 3.0.35-lab126. It's a PW3.
anaythea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #11
knc1
Ex-Helpdesk Addict
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaythea View Post
Getting insmod error -1 "Invalid module format" from inserting the .ko files on kernel 3.0.35-lab126. It's a PW3.
Modules are not universal, the must be built to match the kernel that will be using them.

See post immediately above your own, do you see any builds for recent kernels on i.MX6 devices?

That is your starting point, build what you need.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote