Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Chris Jones
Connoisseur
Chris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
Root Nexus 7 - Android 5.1 impossible?

I have unsuccessfully been trying to root a recently bought Nexus 7 (2013) for the last three days--two different methods... towelroot & android-tools from a linux PC.

Nothing apears to work.

Beginning to think that with lollipop they (Android) fixed whatever holes made the "rooting" possible (?)

Anybody had any luck with this setup?

Any idea if a solution will become available any time soon?

Thanks,

CJ
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
downeaster59
Groupie
downeaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it isdowneaster59 knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kindle PaperWhite, Boyue T62
Try this toolkit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389107

It can root any version of Android that the Nexus 7 (2013) runs, including 5.1 Lollipop. You can also ask questions on the forum if anything is unclear. The best, simplest, most complete tool for this device that I am aware of.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Chris Jones
Connoisseur
Chris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beautyChris Jones does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Try this toolkit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389107

It can root any version of Android that the Nexus 7 (2013) runs, including 5.1 Lollipop. You can also ask questions on the forum if anything is unclear. The best, simplest, most complete tool for this device that I am aware of.
Thanks.

This indeed looked like the better "toolkit" (rootkit?) ...

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Windows system at this point (cf. FAQ)

CJ
Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Boyue T62+, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I don't have a 2013 N7, but I do have an N5 that I successfully rooted using linux after the 5.1 update. I installed android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot from this ppa. I'm actually running Debian sid, but had no trouble with those packages. I have never been able to straight up install the Android SDK and have it recognize my Java and so on properly, so I went the lazy route and used those tools.

From there, you can go here and start with "Check if you have permission for your device" (or you can ignore my entire first paragraph and follow that thread).

Once you can see your device using adb, you should be able to follow the directions to unlock your bootloader or root in this thread. Only the prerequisite part of that post is for Windows only.

ETA: If you have a custom recovery already installed, you might be able to just flash SuperSu. That works on the N5. I'm not sure about the N7.

Last edited by delph; 04-20-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: add info
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
crane3
Zealot
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Tab 8.4, Kindle fire hdx 8.9
I have N7 2013 rooted on CM12.1 (lollipop 5.1).

The N7 lollipop was installed onto a Galaxy Tab 2 &.0 using both the Blackhawk ver of Philz_Touch recovery & the CM12.1. Had to set the developer's option to "ON" prior to the installation. The Blackhawk ver of the recovery included the rooting & added superuser as part of the install IF the root access & adb was turned on.

Haven't rooted the N7 2 as haven't seen a need to do so.

Last edited by crane3; 04-21-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: additional info
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Chris Jones
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by delph View Post
I don't have a 2013 N7, but I do have an N5 that I successfully rooted using linux after the 5.1 update. I installed android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot from this ppa. I'm actually running Debian sid, but had no trouble with those packages. I have never been able to straight up install the Android SDK and have it recognize my Java and so on properly, so I went the lazy route and used those tools.

From there, you can go here and start with "Check if you have permission for your device" (or you can ignore my entire first paragraph and follow that thread).

Once you can see your device using adb, you should be able to follow the directions to unlock your bootloader or root in this thread. Only the prerequisite part of that post is for Windows only.

ETA: If you have a custom recovery already installed, you might be able to just flash SuperSu. That works on the N5. I'm not sure about the N7.
Congratulations! Root access is properly installed on this device!

In fact there was really not much to it. I have no idea where I went astray with my previous attempts...

Badly written howto's making things appear much more complicated than they are may have had something to do with it. Once I was confident the version of Android had nothing to do with it I just followed the thread you linked to and the rest is history.

Many Thanks,

CJ