Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #226
textchimp
textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.textchimp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgeyti View Post
textchimp: I'm also using the same approach to "syncing" books. You may want to use the plugin's command chaining and its sync mechanism instead of simulating a usb connecting. Also, the busybox wget will not work with secure connections. So you may want to use curl instead.

I'm currently also using a simple php script with a simple interface to add URLs that I want the kobo to download. When I get some free time, I hope to do Dropbox syncing using their REST api.
Thanks for the suggestions, but curl is not available on the busybox installation on the Kobo (the Glo, anyway). EDIT: However, it is possible to download a more fully featured version of wget, precompiled for the Kobo Linux architecture, from here: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/wget/download
Having installed this, you can use wget with the --post-file= option to send files without size restriction (though they need to be percent-encoded, and binary files probably won't work). Curl is available in the same way, but it has so many library dependencies when you try to install it that I gave up on it.

I'm also not sure if performing a full sync is easier than the usb faking (EDIT: I was wrong here, the Plugin:sync() command doesn't do a full online sync using kobo.com as expected); in any case, the command chaining doesn't seem to block, so there's no guarantee the download command earlier in the chain would be finished before the sync command is run. The only alternative is to keep the sync() as a separate menu item; it works, but it means you first have to select the download menu item (and wait til it finishes, without receiving a notification when it is), then select the sync menu item.

Last edited by textchimp; 12-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.
textchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #227
jkgeyti
jkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to beholdjkgeyti is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by textchimp View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, but curl is not available on the busybox installation on the Kobo (the Glo, anyway). EDIT: However, it is possible to download a more fully featured version of wget, precompiled for the Kobo Linux architecture, from here: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/armel/wget/download
Having installed this, you can use wget with the --post-file= option to send files without size restriction (though they need to be percent-encoded, and binary files probably won't work). Curl is available in the same way, but it has so many library dependencies when you try to install it that I gave up on it.
I can send you curl if you want to. I took the time to get all the dependencies (but yeah, it took some time :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by textchimp View Post
I'm also not sure if performing a full sync is easier than the usb faking (EDIT: I was wrong here, the Plugin:sync() command doesn't do a full online sync using kobo.com as expected); in any case, the command chaining doesn't seem to block, so there's no guarantee the download command earlier in the chain would be finished before the sync command is run. The only alternative is to keep the sync() as a separate menu item; it works, but it means you first have to select the download menu item (and wait til it finishes, without receiving a notification when it is), then select the sync menu item.
Not using kobo.com myself, so can't say anything about that. I havn't tried the newer versions of the plugin (been real busy), but the one I have blocks perfectly well. When I run my sync.sh nickel hangs (Sync entry in plugin menu statys "activated") until sync.sh is done. Chaining also works fine. Are you sure you're not using wget& or something similar in your script?

Last edited by jkgeyti; 12-09-2012 at 11:49 AM.
jkgeyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #228
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminries View Post
Got a Kobo Glo last weekend. Running firmware 2.1.5. People on this thread seem to confirm that the plugin interface works on the Glo with this firmware.

I followed the instructions - connected my Glo via USB, unzipped both files to the .kobo directory, and ejected the device from my PC. I think the .tgz file is being read, because when I do this, the screen says that the software is updating.

My issue is that after that, the old stock interface is still there, with no changes. I open a book, and close it. Still no change. I shut down the Kobo, boot it back up, open and close a book, and still nothing.

I've tried this with my own *.ini content, and with an unmodified *.ini file downloaded from the first post of this thread. Neither has worked.

What am I doing wrong?

the same happens to me, I tried several times, thinking that I must be doing something wrong but with no luck, at least I know that I'm not the only one that can't instal it.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #229
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't help with any problems with this plugin. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy it on my Kobo Touch! Thanks for the good work!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #230
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminries View Post
My issue is that after that, the old stock interface is still there, with no changes. I open a book, and close it. Still no change. I shut down the Kobo, boot it back up, open and close a book, and still nothing.
Have you tried opening several different books?

It didn't work for me either, when I was opening kepubs. But an epub did the job.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #231
dannyproy
dannyproy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Hi there, I also posted a while back in this thread about having the same installation issues, after seeing the same updating screen, powering up without a sd card as advised, opening up a number of epub and kepub books I still could not get it to load properly. I think there is a growing minority of users who cannot get this to work, so I am keen to work with anyone to help diagnose the problem, and am happy to provide any info requested. It sounds like some devices are falling over loading nickel somehow
dannyproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #232
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyproy View Post
I think there is a growing minority of users who cannot get this to work, so I am keen to work with anyone to help diagnose the problem, and am happy to provide any info requested.
I'm one of that growing minority, with the same results as you had: Appears to update after eject, but plugin never seems to activate after opening a book. Not powering down, not using SD card. Glo, 2.1.5. Also glad to help with diagnosis and testing.
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #233
edralzar
edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.edralzar for a long time would go to bed early.

dannyproy, 0x55, just in case: did you open said ebooks via the library or via the home screen thumbnails? I had difficulties to load the plugin at first but then when I tried powering it off and on again then going through the Library > Books to open an ebook, the plugin would load (and the reading status bar would change accordingly)
edralzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #234
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

For Mac Users...

I was struggling the same as some others on here with getting this to work. I finally figured out what the problem was. I am a Mac user and my "expansion" software (Stuffit Expander) was set to keep expanding files as much as possible. This of course meant it expanded the "test-xx-xx-xx.zip" file one too many times, resulting in a new Folder (Kobo2) as opposed to the compressed installer. I had to go into DropStuff and uncheck the preference to keep expanding as much as possible. This means it only expands the file one step, resulting in the correct compressed installer. I then followed the remainder of the steps and presto! it works! Hope this helps someone...
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #235
benjaminries
benjaminries began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Have you tried opening several different books?

It didn't work for me either, when I was opening kepubs. But an epub did the job.
This. I did get it working - I just needed leave the book open a bit longer, and you're right, a simple epub seems to have been better than the kepubs.
benjaminries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #236
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edralzar View Post
...when I tried powering it off and on again then going through the Library > Books to open an ebook, the plugin would load...
That solved it. Pretty sure I'd been trying to open the epub from the home screen.

And all looks well with the 330-book SD card library, remounted after the plugin loaded.

I'm enjoying my plugin-tweaked Glo. Thanks for the tip, edralzar, and thank you for the plugin, ikarus9999!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #237
dannyproy
dannyproy began at the beginning.

Darn it, I was ready to get my hopes up, but unfortunately opening an epub via the library screen still didn't do the trick, 0x55 I'm glad it's working for you now though

Edit: strike a light, it's working ok now! Benjaminries suggestion to stay in the epub a wee bit longer was the key, Mind you it seems a little tempramental, it took 3 tries of powering off, taking out the sd card, powering on, going into the library, opening an epub, navigating a few pages for about 10 seconds, then going back to the home page before it worked...oddly on my second try it briefly worked but upon inserting my sd card the addon changes were lost. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Last edited by dannyproy; 12-15-2012 at 05:50 PM.
dannyproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #238
0x55
userdefined

Success details

The exact steps that worked on my Glo (2.1.5):
  • Power down device, remove SD if used, power back up
  • Connect to computer, have a normal epub on device (not SD)
  • Install koboplugins.ini & Kobo.tgz to .kobo directory
  • Eject device from computer
  • Power down, then power back up
  • Open epub from library view, page through a few pages
  • Reading menu should now show progress bar unless disabled in .ini
  • Go to home screen, insert SD (if used), wait for library to load
  • Enjoy plugin!

Tips from experience and helpful posts:
  • The test-12-11-14.zip file should be unzipped to Kobo.tgz only, not fully uncompressed.
  • To tweak plugin settings, the SD card has to be unmounted throughout the process (as above).
  • A full shut-down unloads the plugin, so consider setting Power to "Never."
Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #239
enotar
Connoisseur
enotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of lightenotar is a glorious beacon of light

So, can soneone confirn steps worked on Touch with 2.2.1
Dint succeed here.
enotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #240
daldred
Enthusiast
daldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to behold

Device: Elonex eb511
2.3.1?

Just sync'd my Touch, and it's delivered firmware 2.3.1 to me.

This is probably good news - but I'd love to have the plugin back! Any chance?
daldred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, plugin