Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300, 350 Pink & Silver, Black & Red T1, K4NT, KPW, Red T3
New to Jailbreaking

Hiya!

My hubby goes to auctions where they sell lost baggage & unclaimed freight. I've explained to him about how Amazon kills lost Kindles and why he shouldn't buy them unless it's in a sealed box and, well, he doesn't believe me. So! Guess what I have? A blacklisted Kindle Paperwhite 2 3G. LOL I tried registering it and it said Internal Error.

I have my own Paperwhite and thankfully he didn't spend very much on this one. Can a blacklisted Kindle be jailbroken? Can anyone point me to an easy to understand guide on how to do this? I didn't want to do it with mine because I didn't want to brick it but I figure I now have a tester so I might as well try. And if it does work, will I be able to access the 3G or no?

Thanks for your patience & guidance.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Hiya!

My hubby goes to auctions where they sell lost baggage & unclaimed freight. I've explained to him about how Amazon kills lost Kindles and why he shouldn't buy them unless it's in a sealed box and, well, he doesn't believe me. So! Guess what I have? A blacklisted Kindle Paperwhite 2 3G. LOL I tried registering it and it said Internal Error.

I have my own Paperwhite and thankfully he didn't spend very much on this one. Can a blacklisted Kindle be jailbroken? Can anyone point me to an easy to understand guide on how to do this? I didn't want to do it with mine because I didn't want to brick it but I figure I now have a tester so I might as well try. And if it does work, will I be able to access the 3G or no?

Thanks for your patience & guidance.
Yes, just use the regular jailbreak for all of the K5 (and paperwhite) devices.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

Now "access the 3G or no" is a bit vague - - -
You will not be able to use Amazon's "free" 3G network without the registration.

You probably can install a non-Amazon 3G SIM card and use a regular 3G provider's data network.
(That may require a bit of diddling - but it has been done on other models.)
I write "probably" because I don't recall anyone posting the directions for a PW2 (just for other models).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 07-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Moderator Notice
It's against our side policy to provide any assistance with blacklisted devices. Thread closed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #4
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Harry T. :
When you duplicate a thread, with the intent of closing it, you have to close both the original and the copy.

Note:
The chances of a **stolen** Kindle being among the auction items of "lost or unclaimed" items is approximately NIL.

Much more likely, this Kindle was in rented storage and the renter did not keep their rental payments upto date.

Which just means this device probably can be registered by the new owner (after a bit of trouble with the Amazon customer service food chain).

In fact, from the message reported, this device can probably be registered over a WiFi connection right now (but we will find out about that later in this thread).

Last edited by knc1; 07-05-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300, 350 Pink & Silver, Black & Red T1, K4NT, KPW, Red T3
Hi Knc1,

They sell many things at this auction place. They predominantly sell lost and unclaimed freight going to big box stores but they also sell lost baggage from planes, trains, buses, etc. Sometimes they open the bags and rifle through them for goods to sell and sometimes they sell the whole bag unopened. They don't tell buyers where each of the goods came from. I would think this reader was lost by the original owner.

When I tried to register it I did so over Wifi. No go. That's where I got that Internal Error message multiple times.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader

@Shopaholic :
Well, that still sounds like you have proper, legal, title to the device.
(The process the seller goes through assures you of that.
At least in the USA and Canada is probably very similar.)

You will have to deal with Amazon Customer Service to get the ownership change recognized by the registration process.

Big Note:
The first level C.S. contacts do not have the required database access to fix this problem.
So it will be a long repeated series of:
*) Explain what happened (offering copy of purchase receipt).
*) Hearing "we can't do that".
*) Asking to speak to that level's "supervisor, manager, boss, whatever"
*) Repeat from #1 above.
*) Eventually, you will get high enough in the organization's food chain to reach a person who can do something about this.
*) If (when?) that fails, you will have to start writing letters.

Until then:
Just keep it in "airplane mode" and use those features that are available in that mode.

Note: Only a very few of our Kindle add-ins require any network access.
So nearly everything you find here will probably work just fine.