Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 AM   #1
GERGE
Addict
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hyphenation of non-English books

Non-English books I have are all hyphenated as if they are in English. And I did mark them as Turkish in Calibre.

I am used to reading them now but it is still mightily annoying. How can I fix this? Justification settings doesn't remove hyphenation. And most of the books I read are in English, so I don't want to change English hyphenation dictionary into a Turkish one.

I have a dictionary for Tex but I don't know what to do with it: http://cl.ly/code/0A3E1n3k3G2r/turkc...ode_v2b.tex.pl

Last edited by GERGE; 02-12-2015 at 03:28 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, AuraHD, PDA, Eee Transformer
Koreader had 25 language listed files in its ".kobo>koreader>data>hyph" folder. I don't see a Turkish one, but you should be able to add one. Most have (Alan) in their file names.

Luck;
Ken

Have you seen this thread?

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-12-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 AM   #3
luele
luele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
I found a workflow for Calibre and Kobo reader in a german forum:

1. Open epubs in Calibre
2. Convert them in kepub with the kept plugin
3. Go to the Calibre folder an Harasse the *.epub
4. Rename the *.kepub in *.epub
5. In Calibre choose epubs and use Hyphenate This in your language (the books must also marked in your language in meta datas)
6. In the Calibre folder rename *.epub in *.kepub.epub
7. Drag and drop the *.kepub.epub into the reader

The result is hyphenated kepub with the much more better hyphenation.

Last edited by luele; 02-13-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
luele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:21 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by luele View Post
I found a workflow for Calibre and Kobo reader in a german forum:

1. Open epubs in Calibre
2. Convert them in kepub with the kept plugin
3. Go to the Calibre folder an Harasse the *.epub
4. Rename the *.kepub in *.epub
5. In Calibre choose epubs and use Hyphenate This in your language (the books must also marked in your language in meta datas)
6. In the Calibre folder rename *.epub in *.kepub.epub
7. Drag and drop the *.kepub.epub into the reader

The result is hyphenated kepub with the much more better hyphenation.
What is the difference between the hyphenation that the Hyphenate This plugin does and the Kepub Output does during a conversion? And if this is a big advantage, we might be able to convince the author of Hyphenate This to handle kepubs as well. As you have demonstrated, it works properly, so it should be doable.

Also, I would suggest in step 6 renaming to just *.kepub. Then step 7 can be a "Send to device". The driver can send kepubs if they are there.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Do the soft hyphens break searching with ACCESS? I know they break searching with RMDSK. If they do break searching, then soft hyphens don't really work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
luele
luele began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What is the difference between the hyphenation that the Hyphenate This plugin does and the Kepub Output does during a conversion? And if this is a big advantage, we might be able to convince the author of Hyphenate This to handle kepubs as well. As you have demonstrated, it works properly, so it should be doable.

Also, I would suggest in step 6 renaming to just *.kepub. Then step 7 can be a "Send to device". The driver can send kepubs if they are there.
Hyphenate This can only hyphenate epubs no kepubs. Kobo has two different hyphenations. One for pubs from Adobe and one for kepubs (made by kobo). The Hyphenations in kept is awfully bad in german and other languages than englisch. But the kepubs are better to read (more information, better styling etc.). The kepub hyphenation from calibre is also not so good as in Hyphenate this and during output conversation by calibre kills all the soft hyphens in an ePub.

Sending by calibre has not work with all books (missing cover and also missing hyphenations) - so it is for me saver to drang and drop by mouse.

It might be possible for calibre to program the workflow - but I don't know how.

Hopr this helps!
luele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Hyphenate This can only hyphenate epubs no kepubs. Kobo has two different hyphenations. One for pubs from Adobe and one for kepubs (made by kobo). The Hyphenations in kept is awfully bad in german and other languages than englisch. But the kepubs are better to read (more information, better styling etc.). The kepub hyphenation from calibre is also not so good as in Hyphenate this and during output conversation by calibre kills all the soft hyphens in an ePub.
Better styling? I've not seen an issue where an ePub fails to render correctly when the code is correct. If you are using ePub 3 specific features in your eBooks, then I can see where rendering ePub might be an issue. But if not, ePub should render well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hyphenate This can only hyphenate epubs no kepubs.
You have demonstrated that Hyphenate This can hyphenate kepubs, just that it needs a file name change. Odds are it is a one line change in the plugin to change this.
Quote:
Kobo has two different hyphenations. One for pubs from Adobe and one for kepubs (made by kobo).
Correct. They are using different rendering engines so probably use different implementations of the rules. They also use hyphenation dictionaries on the device that can be replaced. Doing that might help.
Quote:
The Hyphenations in kept is awfully bad in german and other languages than englisch.
What is "kept"? The KoboTouchExtended driver or the Kepub Output plugin? Something else?
Quote:
But the kepubs are better to read (more information, better styling etc.). The kepub hyphenation from calibre is also not so good as in Hyphenate this and during output conversation by calibre kills all the soft hyphens in an ePub.
The KoboTouchExtended driver and the Kepub Output plugin enable hyphenation by changing the CSS. I think the options are forcing it on in more circumstances than the kepub reader would usually use. But, I'm surprised if either are removing the soft hyphens. I'd have to check the code for that. Or maybe the hyphenation in the CSS makes the reader ignore the soft hyphens.
Quote:

Sending by calibre has not work with all books (missing cover and also missing hyphenations) - so it is for me saver to drang and drop by mouse.
If you are sending kepubs, then the hyphenation shouldn't be touched by the driver. The KoboTouch definitely doesn't and I'm pretty sure the extended driver doesn't. The latter should only alter epubs when they are being sent.

For the covers, dragging and dropping the book to the device should result in less covers than going through calibre. Calibre attempts to update the cover during the send, but can't do this for kepubs (something I keep promising to fix). Because of that, there should be the same likelyhood of having covers with both methods. The drivers have the advantage that there is an option to send the covers separately. If you are using that and it isn't working, it's a bug that I can look at to fix.
Quote:
It might be possible for calibre to program the workflow - but I don't know how.
Not exactly program, but update plugins or fix bugs to streamline it.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:46 AM   #9
GERGE
Addict
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Noone knows how I can turn that Tex dictionary into Kobo format?

PS. I use KoboTouchExtended and Kepub Output for all my books (as I usually buy from Amazon and when I buy from Kobo I edit to remove line spacing), hyphenation works very well for English books without additional steps.

Last edited by GERGE; 02-14-2015 at 03:52 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, no. Ken Maltby's link has some pointers to other possibilities for Turkish hyphenation dictionaries, but I none seem to be the right format.