Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Kasper Hviid
Connoisseur
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Post How To Use Pocket in Kobo

Here is some basic knowledge on how to use Pocket for Kobo users. I'm new to Pocket myself, so there might be errors. This text is in the public domain, so feel free to do whatever you like.

HOW TO GET STARTET:
  1. On your Kobo, click on 'Library' and then click on 'Articles from Pocket'
  2. Follow the instructions on how to set up your Pocket account.

HOW TO ADD WEB ARTICLES TO POCKET:

Not all web pages will work - some articles will simply just not show up on your Kobo.

Here is an URL that works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_colors

There is loads of ways to get an article into Pocket. If you are browsing the web on your smartphone or tablet, you can install an app which will let you quickly import URLS to pocket. (On my HTC Android, I just clicks on 'share page' and then 'Add to Pocket')

Are you on a PC/Mac, you can use a browser extension.

You can also just mail the URL to add@getpocket.com -- let the subject field be empty, and paste the URL into the Body (only a single URL at the time)

On your account on http://getpocket.com you can click on "Save a URL" and paste the URL into the input field.

This page let you import multiple urls from Instapaper: http://help.getpocket.com/customer/p...rom-instapaper

Delicious Bookmarks can also be imported:
http://help.getpocket.com/customer/p...ious-bookmarks

HOW TO UNDERSTAND CONTENT CATEGORIES:

The web URLS that you add to your Pocket account will automatically be sorted into one of 4 content categories:
  • ARTICLES
  • VIDEOS
  • IMAGES
  • [OTHER]

ARTICLES are the only content that will show up on you e-Ink reader. So use this filter to ensure that the content will be viewable on your Kobo.

On getpocket.com you can click the Content Filter pull-down menu to see which of above category the content fits into. You cannot filter the [OTHER] category, which covers web pages that Pocket don't recognize as any of the other three, such as forum threads or RSS feeds. (I invented the name [OTHER] myself)

HOW TO USE TAGS:

On getpocket.com you can assign tags to your collection of articles. It is not possible to see the tags on your Kobo. Still, it might help you get a better overview on getpocket.com

HOW TO USE SECTIONS:

Each of your articles can be placed in one of 3 sections:
  • HOME/POCKET
  • FAVORITES
  • ARCHIVE

Newly added articles will appear in the HOME section.
Articles in the FAVORITES section will still appear in their original section, being it HOME or ARCHIVE.

HOW TO REMOVE ARTICLES FROM YOUR KOBO:

In the Pocket settings on your Kobo reader, you can let articles in the ARCHIVE folder be automatically removed from Kobo. Removed articles will NOT be deleted from your Pocket account. Also, even if their data is deleted from Kobo, their icon stay, so you can download them later.

You can also manually remove articles from Kobo by holding your finger down and select "Remove from eReader".

HOW TO GET MORE HELP:

Here is a good place:
http://help.getpocket.com/

Last edited by Kasper Hviid; 11-20-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Lack of WYSIWYG
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Thank you Kasper, Great tips!

Thank you Kasper, great tips, perhaps you could request this thread be moved to a sticky?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony (J) PRS 650, Kobo Mini and Aura HD
I have a bookmarklet in my top bookmarks bar. So when something is interesting, I just click on it (with an open session in Pocket, of course) and it's added to my Pocket queue. Very fast and efficient
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Kasper Hviid
Connoisseur
Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kasper Hviid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Good tip, samhy :-)

If others wants to use a bookmarklet, see this page:
http://help.getpocket.com/customer/p...et-bookmarklet
Kasper Hviid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
npr
npr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura
A couple of problems I've had with using Pocket:

1) With the the pocket add-on running in firefox 25.0.1, anchor web links no longer work.
By "anchor web link" I mean a URL which takes you to a specific place on a web page. With the add-on enabled clicking a anchor web link takes you to a random place on the web page.

I've reported this to Pocket but got no reply so I've stopped using the add-on and now use a Bookmarklet to save to pocket.

2) Initially the Pocket bookmarklet fail to save to pocket.
Eventually I discovered the cause of the problem was my cookie settings in firefox.
Changing "Accept third-party cookies" from Never to Always fixed things.

An alternative solution with "Accept third-party cookies" set to Never was to set the following exception for cookies:
getpocket.com Allow for Session
npr is offline   Reply With Quote