Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #61
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,249
Karma: 6642618
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just tried what you did and did not notice that problem. I have Page Refresh set to On.

I have the same firmware as you so it may be your screen layers again. Maybe it happens with Page Refresh set to Off.
As I've mentioned several times previously, I have Page Refresh set to ON. That is the first thing I do with a new Kindle. Other people are seeing it too, so it must be more than hardware especially since it is also happening on the Touch.
jswinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #62
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
sirmaru's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,377
Karma: 6556294
Join Date: Nov 2007
Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Maybe a font problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
As I've mentioned several times previously, I have Page Refresh set to ON. That is the first thing I do with a new Kindle. Other people are seeing it too, so it must be more than hardware especially since it is also happening on the Touch.
I'm using English (United States), Caecilia, second font size down from the largest, the most dense line spacing (all the way to the left) and widest margins (all the way to the right).

Try those settings and see if you still get that problem after an overlay. It could be a problem with a particular font.

If you get that problem with just one particular setting, then you couid call CS and have them pass the information up to the developers for the next firmware version.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #63
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
vxf's Avatar
 
Posts: 924
Karma: 1414252
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norman, OK
Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; iPad3, iPad Mini; Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
One rather annoying thing I'm seeing is that after you look up a word in the dictionary or pull up a menu or change the light setting--basically do anything that causes a small window to be overlaid on top of the text--once the overlaid window closes a large portion of the text on the page is displayed much thinner and lighter, and this isn't always just the text that had been overlaid. I can restore the text by forcing a page refresh by paging back then paging forward to redisplay the page. But this is an inconvenience. Amazon needs to force a total page refresh whenever an overlaid window closes.
I noticed that as well. I also noticed that flipping page (forward than back again, for example) fixes it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #64
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Skydog's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,389
Karma: 1496544
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Circling Earth @ Mach .83
Device: Kindle PW2/DXG, FireHD 8.9, Nexus 7, 10, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I noticed that as well. I also noticed that flipping page (forward than back again, for example) fixes it.
Or, as I do on the Touch, touch the top (menu), then exit it. Same result, different method.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #65
Philz
Junior Member
Philz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2012
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
As I've mentioned several times previously, I have Page Refresh set to ON. That is the first thing I do with a new Kindle. Other people are seeing it too, so it must be more than hardware especially since it is also happening on the Touch.
How long did it take to get your replacement? I had the lower left super bright spot and the colors off (driving me nuts, as a graphic designer I can deal with a bit but both are just argh).

They telling me it'll be between Nov 6th and Nov 15th! But I have to get it to them in 30 days! Not exactly happy with that... Being in college, I need the kindle to read books excessively, this means I'll have to keep my Kindle Keyboard 3G while I wait for yet another Paperwhite 3g!
Philz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #66
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,249
Karma: 6642618
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz View Post
How long did it take to get your replacement? I had the lower left super bright spot and the colors off (driving me nuts, as a graphic designer I can deal with a bit but both are just argh).

They telling me it'll be between Nov 6th and Nov 15th! But I have to get it to them in 30 days! Not exactly happy with that... Being in college, I need the kindle to read books excessively, this means I'll have to keep my Kindle Keyboard 3G while I wait for yet another Paperwhite 3g!

At first they told me the end of Oct. I read how others were getting it earlier so I called them the next day and said I was really upset that it would take so long, especially since it took a month the first time to get it, and said I really needed a Kindle to read on. They then offered me the 3G upgrade for free and I had the replacement two days later.

I'm starting to hear on various forums that CS isn't offering the 3G upgrades any more. It is possible they read these forums and decided to put a stop to that practice since it was so widely known. But who knows. It doesn't hurt to call them back and request a faster delivery. Make sure they understand you really need it for reading.

EDIT: If you have a KK registered on your account, tell them you already gifted that to a family member so you desperately need the PW replaced to read your school material. I know it is a lie, and I normally don't approve of such, but you have to know how to play the CS system to get a fair deal.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-06-2012 at 02:53 PM.
jswinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #67
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Skydog's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,389
Karma: 1496544
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Circling Earth @ Mach .83
Device: Kindle PW2/DXG, FireHD 8.9, Nexus 7, 10, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
As I've mentioned several times previously, I have Page Refresh set to ON. That is the first thing I do with a new Kindle. Other people are seeing it too, so it must be more than hardware especially since it is also happening on the Touch.
I should add that it is very, very slight but I tend to notice small things that others may not.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #68
Philz
Junior Member
Philz began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2012
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
At first they told me the end of Oct. I read how others were getting it earlier so I called them the next day and said I was really upset that it would take so long, especially since it took a month the first time to get it, and said I really needed a Kindle to read on. They then offered me the 3G upgrade for free and I had the replacement two days later.

I'm starting to hear on various forums that CS isn't offering the 3G upgrades any more. It is possible they read these forums and decided to put a stop to that practice since it was so widely known. But who knows. It doesn't hurt to call them back and request a faster delivery. Make sure they understand you really need it for reading.

EDIT: If you have a KK registered on your account, tell them you already gifted that to a family member so you desperately need the PW replaced to read your school material. I know it is a lie, and I normally don't approve of such, but you have to know how to play the CS system to get a fair deal.
Good Idea, thing is in my case I ordered a 3G as is. So nothing for them to "upgrade" me to other than getting it here ASAP. I have ~6 books to read before the end of the term so I really don't have time to be fiddling with all this. Plus the CS rep didn't seem to understand my issue at all and was trying to say oh the lights are at the bottom, and I'm like yes yes, but this is such a bright upward line on the left side that if something is solid black it shows it as a light grey. This is NOT where a light is...

I'll call monday and hopefully get the US service center.
Philz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #69
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,249
Karma: 6642618
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz View Post
Good Idea, thing is in my case I ordered a 3G as is. So nothing for them to "upgrade" me to other than getting it here ASAP. I have ~6 books to read before the end of the term so I really don't have time to be fiddling with all this. Plus the CS rep didn't seem to understand my issue at all and was trying to say oh the lights are at the bottom, and I'm like yes yes, but this is such a bright upward line on the left side that if something is solid black it shows it as a light grey. This is NOT where a light is...

I'll call monday and hopefully get the US service center.
Unfortunately not all CS reps are good. The first one I got was nice, polite, helpful, but didn't try to get an expedited delivery. The next one was much better. You can use the Kindle for PC, Mac, iOS, or Andriod apps too, but I always prefer my Kindle to the apps. Good luck!
jswinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #70
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 219
Karma: 1009108
Join Date: Dec 2008
Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Interesting to see that more of the cloudy/mottled/splotchy screens are being reported (I'm one of those waiting for a replacement coming 10/9). Does anyone know if the tech blogs have picked up this story yet?

As far as it being a problem that disappears over time, I just double-checked my original PW (hadn't picked it up yet today). Still distractingly blotchy with the backlighting required for an interior room. (For whatever it's worth, I'm typically using it in an air-conditioned room at about 72F. It's still kind of humid here in NC.) The only time it doesn't bug me is in the dark with the backlight set very very low.

Upgrades: I did not 'fish' for an upgrade, although I (very politely) told them I would appreciate anything they could do to beat the "4-6 week" replacement time. It looks on my invoice that I got a PW without offers (my original was SO). Since this is the same hardware (right? just a software change on their end?), I guess they got in more non-3G replacement units. I won't deny I'm somewhat jealous of the people who got the 3G upgrades, but I won't be surprised if Amazon starts cutting back the upgrades. I guess it also depends on how widespread this problem turns out to be.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,025
Karma: 18129756
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If I buy it he wont let me return it unless it's defective. It's just too much of a hassle for him to drop it off at the UPS store.
That's perfect. Because if it does bother him, tell him too bad, deal as you won't let me return it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,025
Karma: 18129756
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Level 24 is for reading with very bright ambient light (i.e. sunlight). The 'dark cones' are completely invisible in those conditions (I just tried it). You would not use that level for most indoor lighting.
Why would you need a light that strong when you have direct sunlight? With my 650, there is no way I would want a light when I have direct sunlight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #73
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jswinden's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,249
Karma: 6642618
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Interesting to see that more of the cloudy/mottled/splotchy screens are being reported (I'm one of those waiting for a replacement coming 10/9). Does anyone know if the tech blogs have picked up this story yet?

As far as it being a problem that disappears over time, I just double-checked my original PW (hadn't picked it up yet today). Still distractingly blotchy with the backlighting required for an interior room. (For whatever it's worth, I'm typically using it in an air-conditioned room at about 72F. It's still kind of humid here in NC.) The only time it doesn't bug me is in the dark with the backlight set very very low.

Upgrades: I did not 'fish' for an upgrade, although I (very politely) told them I would appreciate anything they could do to beat the "4-6 week" replacement time. It looks on my invoice that I got a PW without offers (my original was SO). Since this is the same hardware (right? just a software change on their end?), I guess they got in more non-3G replacement units. I won't deny I'm somewhat jealous of the people who got the 3G upgrades, but I won't be surprised if Amazon starts cutting back the upgrades. I guess it also depends on how widespread this problem turns out to be.
I did a quick Google check yesterday to see if any sites other than Kindle related forums were talking about it. I didn't see anything. I think I will put a poll to see how many got replacements. I know it is really not a poll as such, either you did or you didn't, but it will track the numbers though VERY unscientifically.
jswinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,025
Karma: 18129756
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Hmm... now that I've seen some pictures, I think mine may have this problem too. I thought I noticed some greenishness and/or redness when reading but I wasn't sure if it was a defect or normal.

My screen looks like this, taken in a dark room with an iPhone (only camera I have) at full brightness. Do you think it warrants replacement? I don't really want to lose my Kindle to read on (already got rid of my NSTWGL), but I don't want to be stuck with a unit that has problems if I don't have to be.

What do you guys think?
Get it replaced. That would really bother me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 37,025
Karma: 18129756
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have some "pinkish" and tan mottling, although not nearly as pronounced as yours I notice it when reading and it is distracting. Definitely a production/QC problem.
Get it replaced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Total catalogue/overview Len666 Library Management 2 04-20-2012 04:53 AM
History Overview? Tome Keeper Reading Recommendations 16 01-27-2012 09:11 AM
overview screen mon Kobo Reader 7 01-29-2011 08:24 PM
iLiad Overview? jls iRex Developer's Corner 1 01-07-2007 06:55 AM
iLiad's 16 Colours [overview] yokos iRex 8 10-10-2006 10:42 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.