|08-23-2016, 04:41 PM||#1|
Join Date: May 2010
Suggestion/question on syncing to multiple devices
I've been using Calibre for some years now, mainly for book management and syncing to a single tablet (using Calibre Companion). Recently I added a second device and using CC's ability to sync reading positions using Dropbox I can jump between devices seamlessly.
The difficulty I have is actually managing the books on both devices so that they match. Of course this can be done manually and if you aren't syncing too many books it's not overly onerous but I was wondering if there's a better way and if not I wanted to suggest a couple of possible feature enhancements.
My process to sync across two devices:
1. Connect Device A (as wireless device) and make any desired changes (add/remove/sync books) to/via Calibre Companion
2. Sort by "On Device" column with device books on top
3. Select books on device
4. Disconnect Device A
5. Connect Device B (using connect and sync option in Calibre Companion)
6. "Send to device" the still selected books in the list. The books will "resort" and some books may not be on Device B but the highlights are maintained so they all sync.
So essentially if you select books on one device and switch to the second without modifying the book list the highlighted books stay highlighted and you can scroll to one of them in order to send all to the other device.
My request is:
1. Is it possible to create a "reading list" or "playlist" that can be updated and used to sync to any device? I've tried the virtual library but that won't work as the goal here is to have a list of any arbitrary book I have already synced to one device to sync to another. If not this would be a great feature. Essentially be able to right click a selected set of books and "send to playlist/reading list" capability.
2. Alternatively be able to select books and send them to a pre-created virtual library. Essentially the same as 1 above.
3. Have a new tag/flag that is a "sync" tag. I bet this can already be done... I'll have to check on custom tags. I'm personally not a fan of using a tag for this as it would be somewhat combersome to remove.
4. Have a dynamic list that is created/modified for each device that is synced. The list could be used to sync to other devices if desired.
Last edited by santiagodraco; 08-23-2016 at 04:43 PM.
|08-23-2016, 05:06 PM||#2|
Join Date: Sep 2010
Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I use the Reading List plugin with an OnDevice tag to synch books between three devices... but... the position in a given book isn't synched.
|08-23-2016, 05:09 PM||#3|
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, elephone, iPad, Galaxy Tab3 8
The easiest way to do it is with the "Reading List" Plugin. I have two ereaders, a phone and two tablets. All least one (iPad, and I'm in my way with the CC for iPad) are synchronized automatically in two ways:
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|charging multiple devices with the same charger question||Goshzilla||Which one should I buy?||11||06-16-2013 01:12 PM|
|Syncing multiple devices?||benze||Calibre||7||05-26-2012 08:36 AM|
|quick question on multiple devices||dogsballs||Calibre||3||09-27-2011 12:16 PM|
|Syncing last page read between multiple Kindle devices?||johneveryman||Calibre||14||08-04-2011 11:29 PM|
|Managing automatic syncing among multiple devices||Doug-W||Library Management||4||02-22-2011 05:26 PM|