Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
ChristopherLewis
ChristopherLewis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Limit import to specific format(s)

Is there a way to specify which formats to import (or which to exclude)?

For example, say I have the following books:

William Shakespeare - Hamlet.epub
William Shakespeare - Hamlet.pdf
William Shakespeare - Hamlet.mobi
William Shakespeare - Hamlet.text

If I'm importing the entire directory and sub-directories is there a way to only import the .epub version?

I definitely don't want to convert anything, I just want to be able to ignore certain formats completely. I know I can remove them after import but that's a big waste of time (both importing and managing by hand).

I also know how to manage it using Windows Explorer to search and move based on extension. But again, big PITA if there's a way Calibre can do this automatically.
ChristopherLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is no calibre feature for this. As you said it is trivial to work at the OS level to move unwanted formats out of the folder structure you are going to add.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ChristopherLewis - Maybe you can make use of this feature

Preferences->Add Books->Automatic Adding->Ignore files with the following extensions when automatically adding

Or, perhaps you can use a process similar to this one
  1. I always Tag the books I add as "Just Added" (see Preferences->Add Books->Tags to apply when adding a book),
  2. Add Books from Directories, without any pre-culling of superfluous formats
  3. Use the Tag Browser to show the "Just Added" books
  4. Select them all
  5. Use Remove files of a specific format from selected books option to remove the formats I don't want in Calibre
  6. Delete the "Just Added" Tag

Has the advantage that its all done within the Calibre folders using Calibre functionality, without disturbing your original folders, or having to use Explorer/Finder/Nautilus to pre-prepare files to go into Calibre. And its quick.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote