Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #136
jdta09
Member
jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 19286
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: Kobo Glo
Just received my gecko Slim case and seems very nice. The grey inside looks fine currently and is a bit darker than I expected (which is good)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilvearn View Post
Thanks a lot for your answer
I still have to decide if I buy this one...
jdta09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #137
Willa
Groupie
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Willa's Avatar
 
Posts: 178
Karma: 284140
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.K
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdta09 View Post
Just received my gecko Slim case and seems very nice. The grey inside looks fine currently and is a bit darker than I expected (which is good)
I got a Gecko slimcase last week and I love it. As you say the grey inside is darker than the pictures . . . and to be honest I don't notice it as I fold the cover back to read. Very pleased with the design and the the quality
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #138
ShellShock
Guru
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
ShellShock's Avatar
 
Posts: 974
Karma: 2193020
Join Date: Sep 2008
Device: IPad Mini Retina, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
For anyone trying to decide between a Slimfit and a Leather protection cover... I also have the Gecko Leather cover for my Sony PRST1 (I'm assuming it's very similar to the KoboGlo version). My observations are:
  • Leather cover is classier (burgundy colour is beautiful) but bulkier (depth ~22mm with reader in). Easy to insert and extract reader. Nice if you read mainly at home.
  • Slimfit is more compact, lighter and protects all corners of the reader better (depth ~15mm with reader in). Easy to insert reader, trickier to extract (for me). More suitable when on the go.
How easy is it to fold back the leather cover for one handed reading? I am trying to decide between it and the slim fit.

Thanks a lot.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #139
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,882
Karma: 4200035
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
How easy is it to fold back the leather cover for one handed reading? I am trying to decide between it and the slim fit.
There are no problems folding either of them back. As is to be expected, the Slimfit is also slimmer in the folded-back position.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #140
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jackastor's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,615
Karma: 2605023
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
There are no problems folding either of them back. As is to be expected, the Slimfit is also slimmer in the folded-back position.
Are the gekco slim fit available in Canada? Also in a scale of 1 to 10 where one is poor how would you rate the quality?


I like the look of it and More importantly I like the way the reader fits into the case. You wont get the strap lines that you get from the other cases.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #141
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,882
Karma: 4200035
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Are the gekco slim fit available in Canada? Also in a scale of 1 to 10 where one is poor how would you rate the quality?


I like the look of it and More importantly I like the way the reader fits into the case. You wont get the strap lines that you get from the other cases.
As far as I know they're a Dutch company who ship around the world. Shipping to Canada may take longer and won't be free though. Details here.

As for a mark out of 10. Hmm, this is very subjective and may depend on expections based on other reader covers you've owned.

When not in use: Appearance when reader is in case and case is closed, 9/10, because it is neat and solid and the stitching is neat, even and matches the 'faux leather' perfectly (mine's the blue one). Every edge is sealed with a kind of colour-matched hard rubbery substance so there are no white cut edges visible and none of the plastic box is visible.

When in use: 8/10. Reader feels very secure, easy to hold and to close quickly when needed. Inside the front cover is dark grey velour with neat colour-matched stitching. So why the -1? I may be a bit picky here, the rubber sealing around the 4 corners (where the faux leather meets the 4 curved corners of the plastic box) could be a little neater on mine. This may be a bit harsh because I can imagine trying to do a perfect join between an essentially flat covering and a curved corner is going to produce some puckering so more sealant is required. It's also possible that this varies greatly and it's the luck of the draw. The sealing along all the straight edges and cut-outs for switches etc. is very neat.

So overall, from me 8.5/10. Perhaps other owners will chip in so you get several opinions.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #142
Willa
Groupie
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Willa's Avatar
 
Posts: 178
Karma: 284140
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.K
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Are the gekco slim fit available in Canada? Also in a scale of 1 to 10 where one is poor how would you rate the quality?


I like the look of it and More importantly I like the way the reader fits into the case. You wont get the strap lines that you get from the other cases.

regards

jack
This is my third case for my Touch. The other two from different companies, I sent back because I wasn't happy with the quality/fit. Both were more expensive and just plain nasty/flimsy/ugh!

So this one scores a 10 for me compared to the previous 2. I like the look and the feel of it in my hands. It's very slim whilst offering solid protection both front and back. There is nothing on the front of the reader to distract you - elastic corners etc. The stitching is great and matches the colour of the reader - I have the red one. The reader is very secure in it.

And I like the magnetic strap/catch. The magnet is hidden inside so it just looks like a plain strap until you flip it around the back and it grips on - so very neat and no fumbling for the catch.

Happy bunny for quality, design and price

Last edited by Willa; 02-10-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #143
tkavan
Zealot
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.
 
Posts: 120
Karma: 36076
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthGW View Post
any other suggestions for a decent cover?
I have this one... https://www.skindigitalstore.com/kob...-cover-wallet/

It's well made, looks great, gives access to all the Glo's controls, etc.
The front cover folds back, and can be held back with the front-cover magnetic flap, for easy one-handed reading. Or to fit on a reading stand like this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OU:CA:3160

It doesn't come with the magnetic on-off sleep switch, but you can easily improvise. I bought a small magnet, fastened it to a business card, and slipped it into the pocket on the inside front cover. Works perfectly.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #144
jdta09
Member
jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.jdta09 has met Morla.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 19286
Join Date: Dec 2012
Device: Kobo Glo
I would probably give the Gecko Slimfit 9.5/10. As mentioned the corners aren't quite smooth and it's a little stiff to get out, but to be honest I don't think I'll be wanting to take it out as it looks and feels so nice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
This is my third case for my Touch. The other two from different companies, I sent back because I wasn't happy with the quality/fit. Both were more expensive and just plain nasty/flimsy/ugh!

So this one scores a 10 for me compared to the previous 2. I like the look and the feel of it in my hands. It's very slim whilst offering solid protection both front and back. There is nothing on the front of the reader to distract you - elastic corners etc. The stitching is great and matches the colour of the reader - I have the red one. The reader is very secure in it.

And I like the magnetic strap/catch. The magnet is hidden inside so it just looks like a plain strap until you flip it around the back and it grips on - so very neat and no fumbling for the catch.

Happy bunny for quality, design and price
jdta09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #145
Willa
Groupie
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Willa's Avatar
 
Posts: 178
Karma: 284140
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.K
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdta09 View Post
I would probably give the Gecko Slimfit 9.5/10. As mentioned the corners aren't quite smooth and it's a little stiff to get out, but to be honest I don't think I'll be wanting to take it out as it looks and feels so nice.
I have only taken mine out once to see how it went - and had no problems (as I wrestled with it on the floor screaming out . . out . .OUT! j/k) It must be a delicate balance in design for Gecko - able to pop it out and yet able to hold the reader securely.

It does look and feel lovely.

Last edited by Willa; 02-10-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #146
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jackastor's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,615
Karma: 2605023
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As far as I know they're a Dutch company who ship around the world. Shipping to Canada may take longer and won't be free though. Details here.

As for a mark out of 10. Hmm, this is very subjective and may depend on expections based on other reader covers you've owned.

When not in use: Appearance when reader is in case and case is closed, 9/10, because it is neat and solid and the stitching is neat, even and matches the 'faux leather' perfectly (mine's the blue one). Every edge is sealed with a kind of colour-matched hard rubbery substance so there are no white cut edges visible and none of the plastic box is visible.

When in use: 8/10. Reader feels very secure, easy to hold and to close quickly when needed. Inside the front cover is dark grey velour with neat colour-matched stitching. So why the -1? I may be a bit picky here, the rubber sealing around the 4 corners (where the faux leather meets the 4 curved corners of the plastic box) could be a little neater on mine. This may be a bit harsh because I can imagine trying to do a perfect join between an essentially flat covering and a curved corner is going to produce some puckering so more sealant is required. It's also possible that this varies greatly and it's the luck of the draw. The sealing along all the straight edges and cut-outs for switches etc. is very neat.

So overall, from me 8.5/10. Perhaps other owners will chip in so you get several opinions.
Thank you very much for your information it makes my choice very much easier. I think in regards to cost since the kobo made cover is offered at 49.99 the cost preety much is a push. In the end I think I will purchase the Gecko.

Thanks

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #147
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
jackastor's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,615
Karma: 2605023
Join Date: Jun 2011
Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
This is my third case for my Touch. The other two from different companies, I sent back because I wasn't happy with the quality/fit. Both were more expensive and just plain nasty/flimsy/ugh!

So this one scores a 10 for me compared to the previous 2. I like the look and the feel of it in my hands. It's very slim whilst offering solid protection both front and back. There is nothing on the front of the reader to distract you - elastic corners etc. The stitching is great and matches the colour of the reader - I have the red one. The reader is very secure in it.

And I like the magnetic strap/catch. The magnet is hidden inside so it just looks like a plain strap until you flip it around the back and it grips on - so very neat and no fumbling for the catch.

Happy bunny for quality, design and price
Again thank you for your input, I am very much satisfied with your responses and its important to me as well that you guys are happy it makes my choice so much easier. And like you I really hate cheap stuff sold for an arm and a leg.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #148
Willa
Groupie
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Willa's Avatar
 
Posts: 178
Karma: 284140
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.K
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Again thank you for your input, I am very much satisfied with your responses and its important to me as well that you guys are happy it makes my choice so much easier. And like you I really hate cheap stuff sold for an arm and a leg.

Regards

Jack
You are very welcome . . . hope you like it . . puts running shoes on ready to make a quick exit
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #149
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,882
Karma: 4200035
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
You are very welcome . . . hope you like it . . puts running shoes on ready to make a quick exit
Hang on ... wait for me ...
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #150
Willa
Groupie
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Willa's Avatar
 
Posts: 178
Karma: 284140
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.K
Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hang on ... wait for me ...
Heeeeeeeeee - here, have some sparkly go-faster laces . . . scarpers!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glo When will Kobo Glo actually be available in the US? kukafei Kobo Reader 67 03-08-2013 07:05 PM
Glo Kobo Glo, some questions 4 Sameer Danger Kobo Reader 53 12-29-2012 11:49 PM
Glo and Mini have Browser? EldRick Kobo Reader 11 09-11-2012 10:41 PM
Switching from Sony to Kobo Glo? obyrm Kobo Reader 32 09-11-2012 05:41 PM
Seriously thoughtful Glo Bible software Patricia Lounge 7 11-11-2009 09:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.