Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Kobo kids

Hey. I know that some people here have complained about how so much erotica shows up in searches on Kobo's website considering that kids can access it.

Well today I was trying to see if there was a way to find some info on my account page and I noticed a new Tab in addition to the whole Account Info, Payment Info, Purchase History etc. A Kids' account tab. It seems that you can give your "kid" (or whoever) an allowance (to control spending) and limit their browsing to kids' titles.

I haven't tried it as I don't have kids. Personally I would more like a kids' mode, where I could hand my tablet/ereader/phone to my nieces and nephews and they could read the kids' books I've already bought but I thought this might be of interest to many a parent out there.

If anyone tries it out it could be good to hear if it works well or not.

Also, I have to say that I can just imagine some of the members here using it not for their kids but as an easy way to give their spouse a book allowance (to avoid the binge spending brought on by things like the Sept50 code).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The crushing amount of erotica and romance that shows up on Kobo's store (even if you've hit "I'm not Interested" 18,000,000x is one of the reasons I barely look there. At least I can browse books at Amazon or other retailers without getting bombarded by pictures of half-naked men and women.

Kobo seriously needs to be able to filter out genres or "Adult content" on an account-setting level, because I'm afraid to look for a book if my kids are around.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 12-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6"
I was just looking for nursery rhymes books for my grandson (not yet 3 years old) and Kobo bookstore proposed me books like the one I was looking at (titled "Les p'tites comptines") and you'll never guess... it proposed my the whole "50 shades of Grey" series I just hadn't figure they were :
1) for kids between 3 and 6
2) a nursery rhymes book (I think most people didn't understand their primary meaning )
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Kobo Kids works very well - as long as the books are tagged properly by the publisher or Kobo. I set up accounts for my daughters, and tried to "break out" of the kids area and into the adult area with no success. We haven't come across anything inapproprate yet. The major downside is that the accounts are not linked, so no sharing with family members unless you know apprentice Alf and calibre. I somepose I could have set up one account for my girls (twins, and they both like to read) but that propably would have led to one of them using up the entire allowance before the other could get a chance.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!Nightyume goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Kobo Kids works very well - as long as the books are tagged properly by the publisher or Kobo. I set up accounts for my daughters, and tried to "break out" of the kids area and into the adult area with no success. We haven't come across anything inapproprate yet. The major downside is that the accounts are not linked, so no sharing with family members unless you know apprentice Alf and calibre. I somepose I could have set up one account for my girls (twins, and they both like to read) but that propably would have led to one of them using up the entire allowance before the other could get a chance.
There would also be the pesky issue of syncing if they happen to be reading the same books at the same time...
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote