Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
williamsonday
williamsonday began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have sent the following protest to PayPal. I encourage others to do the same. This is outrageous.

I would like to register a protest over the fact that paypal has cut off support for contributions to the development of the Calibre ebook software by Kovid Goyal in India. The payments are voluntary contributions, not purchases, and they serve to support development of a highly beneficial free software program. This kind of arbitrary action is poor service, poor business, and poor public relations. I cannot imagine that paypal does not have more serious issues to occupy its attention than shutting down a lone Indian software developer who is working in the public interest. I hope that paypal promptly resolves this issue in Mr. Goyal's favor.
williamsonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC flattr requires a paypal account behind the scenes to receive money.
"How do I withdraw money I make?

When your revenue balance has reached €10 or more you can withdraw the money to PayPal or Moneybookers. You can also use any money you earned to flattr other creators. "

But I dunno if moneybookers is any better.

And there may be a difference taking funds out of flattr to paypal, as presumably flattr wouldn't call it a donation.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsonday View Post
I have sent the following protest to PayPal. I encourage others to do the same. This is outrageous.
You can protest to Paypal all you want to, but it seems as though they are just trying to follow the regulations set forth by the government of India. Looking over Paypal's Donate button page it looks like the US government also has some fingers in this regulatory pie.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-24-2012 at 01:39 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
This kind of arbitrary action is poor service, poor business, and poor public relations.
It's not "arbitrary action"; if you look at the e-mail that Kovid received from PayPal you'll see that this is the law in India, and that PayPal had no choice in the matter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
PayPal have completed the review and restored the account. So we can put this to bed. Thanks for all the support.

You should now be able to make donations to calibre again, by clicking the "Support calibre" button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Delighted to hear that it's been resolved, Kovid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #22
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD
Does this mean that I have to change my 'Organ Donor Card' to an 'Organ Assist Card' or 'Organ Support Card'
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Does this mean that I have to change my 'Organ Donor Card' to an 'Organ Assist Card' or 'Organ Support Card'
Yes .
Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
williamsonday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You can protest to Paypal all you want to, but it seems as though they are just trying to follow the regulations set forth by the government of India. Looking over Paypal's Donate button page it looks like the US government also has some fingers in this regulatory pie.
Look, I am glad the situation is resolved. But I haven't seen any cites to any code or regulation, whether in India or the United States, in either of the pages you reference. Accordingly, I don't know where you come up with the idea that there is a regulatory issue in the United States, and it is at least open to question whether there is one in India. Just because PayPal waves around some vague language about complying with an unspecified law that supposedly prohibits use of the word "donate" doesn't make it the law. Even if there is a law, there is no way to determine whether PayPal is interpreting it correctly or consistently in light of the lack of information PayPal has provided. A choice of words as fine grained as "donate," "support," or "assist" in a "commercial" enterprise is arbitrary on its face, and PayPal has done nothing to show otherwise. A quick Google search shows that there is a great deal of confusion about the "donate" button in India but little clarity. I agree that the issue is moot, for the moment, but only because PayPal has apparently arbitrarily decided that "support" is O.K. but "donate" is not.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ubuntu Linux, Cybook Opus, Motorola Xoom with Mantano Premium
PayPal charges less for transactions that involves donations to nonprofit charities and the like. They have to be able to prove that status in their own country. Tax exemption and so on.

I believe it would be impossible for Kovid to demonstrate this. That's why he's no longer allowed to accept "donations" via PayPal. But he can accept "support", meaning that PayPal can take a slightly larger cut of the transactions.

In effect, by making restrictions for donations, PayPal increase their profit. Nothing wrong with that. Profit is nice. If we don't like it, we can decide not to use PayPal. Unfortunately there is no good alternative.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
williamsonday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
PayPal charges less for transactions that involves donations to nonprofit charities and the like. They have to be able to prove that status in their own country. Tax exemption and so on.

I believe it would be impossible for Kovid to demonstrate this. That's why he's no longer allowed to accept "donations" via PayPal. But he can accept "support", meaning that PayPal can take a slightly larger cut of the transactions.

In effect, by making restrictions for donations, PayPal increase their profit. Nothing wrong with that. Profit is nice. If we don't like it, we can decide not to use PayPal. Unfortunately there is no good alternative.
Lower rates, in the USA at least, only apply to registered 501(c)(3) charities. https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/donations Other non-profits pay the standard rates. Why is Kovid Goyal not an "other" non-profit? After all, he is not selling Calibre. And while there is nothing wrong with making a profit, that is not the same as being required by law to follow a certain course of action. And still there has been no citation to any applicable law or regulation by anybody, PayPal included. So why is everybody so eager to make excuses for a multinational financial company over a lone software developer?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Look, I am glad the situation is resolved. But I haven't seen any cites to any code or regulation, whether in India or the United States, in either of the pages you reference.
OK Paypal lied to Kovid. Now quit trolling the thread, be happy and go support calibre! That's what I'm going to do.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-24-2012 at 06:39 PM.