Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Vroo
Connoisseur
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many Kindles, Onyx C65AG/T68, Nook ST, Kobo Mini, PB Aqua
Kindle Touch images support

It seems that since 5.1 firmware (?) KT has a simple picture viewer.

Images have to be put inside "/images" folder (not "pictures" as on K3/K4), preferably in subfolders or zip files.

Then, the new item "Images" appears on the last page of the filelist (along with "Dictionaries" and "Periodicals Back Issues".

Unfortunately, picture viewer is very limited, there's no way to rotate or zoom in. You can only go through all the images in the folder.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: *.*
The picture viewer works in all firmware versions for all eink kindle. There are different ways to use it for different versions though. And you can view "collections" of images stored in zip files too. Even comic books can be viewed by renaming the file extension from cbz to zip. This was documented in the Dev Corner forum.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@geekmaster: Nearly all FW versions, it was missing from 5.0.x, AFAIR .

(And one of the key differences between FW, older (2/3/4) FW looked inside the pictures/ folder, not images/ like the Touch [I remembered! ]. There's a vague possibility that some versions even handled pictures in documents, but I'm a but hazy on that...).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: Nearly all FW versions, it was missing from 5.0.x, AFAIR .

(And one of the key differences between FW, older (2/3/4) FW looked inside the pictures/ folder, not images/ like the Touch [I remembered! ]. There's a vague possibility that some versions even handled pictures in documents, but I'm a but hazy on that...).
I am pretty sure that it works on 5.0.x too, as mentioned in my "comic book reader on all kindles" thread (which is now missing a lot of its original content).

I am generally pretty consistent about testing my code and researching my claims thoroughly, but I would have to flash old firmware to reaffirm my claim. It is possible that I had already updated to 5.1.x though when I published that, but I thought it worked on 5.0.x...

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-17-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
@geekmaster: I vaguely remember it being not there, or at the very least not 'plugged in', but, like I said 'AFAIR', and I never actually had a 5.0.x on hand, so .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad Air 2, Fire HD6
When Kindle Touch adds KF8 fixed layout support, there will be another option that works with all post-KK Kindles. It is now supported by Kindle Keyboard and K4 (and of course Fire and some of the apps), and ironically while KT was the first eInk Kindle to get KF8 support, it is now the only one that doesn't support fixed layout (properly).

For fixed-layout (on my updated KK), the entire screen is available (up to 800x600) and you can zoom/pan full-page or panel views (which you cannot do on Kindle Fire, unless that's changed with the new devices). I can envision tools (calibre or some such) that can take a series of image files, and generate pages with thumbnails of those images that can be navigated as Panel Views, or else by detecting 'panels' in the image files and building the HTML that defines them for KF8 fixed layout format.

I wish Amazon would enable bookmarks and annotations for fixed-layout, and change the default Zoom of Panel views to 'Actual Size' rather than 'Fit-to-screen' (or at least saving a change to the Zoom default with the book so it persists across reading sessions), to avoid scaling artifacts, and they need to provide for accessible text (e.g. for TTS), but otherwise I think it is superior to what one could achieve with PDF image files, mobi, or the built in image viewer.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the KT image viewer was there prior to 5.1 update.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-17-2012 at 04:57 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: I vaguely remember it being not there, or at the very least not 'plugged in', but, like I said 'AFAIR', and I never actually had a 5.0.x on hand, so .
Viewing images was certainly not an obvious or advertised feature of the K5. Now I am tempted to flash 5.0.0 and test it again just to be certain one way or another (perhaps some day RSN).