Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Katel
Addict
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch (new owner)
Hoping this is not what I can expect from Customer Help in future

Hi,
As a new user of Kobo Touch and already being sent of lists of books to buy I asked Customer Help how I could access the Customer Ratings of the books, as clicking on to them doesn't bring them up.

After a steady to-ing and fro-ing of emails and being given a few dud answers this is the last I received -

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. I apologize that you cannot read the ratings of what others have to say regarding books. Unfortunately the rating system is done through a third party. Kobo has nothing to do with the rating of the books on its site. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns by replying to this email or calling us at 18557323662 North America.
Kobobooks.com/help

The last sentences is quite funny. And no,I can't phone Kobo as I'm in Oz.
I'd love to know which is they mysterious third party where they get their ratings from, and how hard it would be for them to link us to them.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Your post is a little worrisome. I was going to get a kobo glo in october, but with responses like this from them, and what I've heard about their firmware upgrades, is Kobo the right choice?

No company should ever respond as they did to you. They put it in their device, they have the ultimate responsibility on how it works.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Is this on the website or on the device? Are you seeing the lines of little ratings stars? What do you mean by "bring them up"?

If you mean the website, and you are seeing the little lines of stars on an individual book page (followed by "(<num> customer ratings) Rate this book!"), and by "bring them up" you mean you want to see more detailed reviews:

can you see the line below the stars, where it says "Average rating includes goodreads"? If so, click on "goodreads", and it should take you to that book's page on Goodreads, where you can scroll down to see reviews and a detailed ratings breakdown.

If any of the "if" isn't true: drop more details, and people here will likely try to help.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
Katel
Addict
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

Meera, Both on the website and the device. There is a line of stars, yes, then in brackets, eg (150 customers' ratings) then Add your Rating. And by bring them up I would say yes I would like to see them. There is no line beneath saying Average Rating includes Goodreads.

Below is the reply I received from Kobo prior to the one I printed above -

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. I apologize that you want to see how others rate the book on the Desktop. The rating of a book is done through a third party. What you can do is go to your web browser put in that "rating for title of book, then the author". The ratings of the book become available. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns by replying to this email or calling us at 18557323662 North America.
Kobobooks.com/help

As I didn't have the faintest idea what they meant by go to your web browser and put in that "rating.......etc, I asked them to clarify it and got the response as shown in my OP.

I'd like to add I love my Kobo Touch and in no way wish to denegrate it or its services, but have found this response rather bewildering.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it's not exactly a secret here that the Kobots aren't much chop. Which is why I said better help can be found here.

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and even Icab, logged in and logged out of Kobobooks, and I can't get that Goodreads line to disappear. I should point out, however, that I'm sighted, and that "goodreads" part is presented as an image without an alt tag, so if you're using a screen reader or have images turned off, it just won't show up at all. (Kobo, your web designer needs to be replaced or re-educated on accessibility quick smart - that's incompetence, and there's no excuse for it nowadays.).

If you're sighted and have your browser set to load images, and want to troubleshoot: Do you have any plug-ins or hacks installed that could be blocking it? Have you tried a different browser? Could you please let us know what browser you're using, whether you're logged in, what exact URL you're at (just give an example or two), and drop a screenshot of that part of the page?

Alternatively: if you don't particularly want to trouble-shoot this, or you're blind and it's therefore untroubleshootable in this case, but you do want to read Goodreads reviews of the books you're looking at, you can just go to goodreads.com and check them out directly.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
Katel
Addict

Thanks Meeera. I've been using IE 8 so I just tried Chrome with a random search which shows this -

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-H...e-6ea3cc1ea701

So then I went back to Explorer and it shows the same.
That is it shows so many Ratings but nowhere to go from that.

Yet doing another random search i picked up 50 Shades of Grey and as well as Ratings it also showed Customer 'Reviews' which links to Goodreads ( By the way I am sighted.) As far as I know I have no blocks in place.

So there seems to be some inconsistency there.with Kobo.
Anyway it appears that you have answered my question which is to go to
Goodreads to get the reviews ., though honestly it would have saved a lot of waffling around if Kobo had told me that in the first place (and maybe think about setting up a decent link). . And I am assuming that Ratings applies to the build up of stars only

Old 09-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
meeera
Wizard

I don't know if I'm seeing what you're seeing at that link without a screenshot (it leads to a geolocked page for me), but I think you're happy with your current solution?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Response Via Email (John E) 09/05/2012 08:08 PM
Hello,
Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

thank you for the spam.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Your lucky you got a reply, when I asked for help finding a book purchased from the Kobo store which, wasnt in my library or on my Touch the above quote is what I received.
Transonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Lumia 925, Kobo Vox (Retired)
Ratings are just ratings, nowhere to go from there, when you finish a book and rate it, the average is shown on that screen (464 have rated it but it has no reviews)

Reviews of books are different, I cannot find any off hand but there are some

Not sure if I am getting confused by Kobo's response, but are you talking about Reviews or Ratings
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you are right in post 6

Ratings are just stars nothing more to it
Reviews (if they are there are accessed via clicking the 'Goodreads' link
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
Hello,

thank you for the spam.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Your lucky you got a reply, when I asked for help finding a book purchased from the Kobo store which, wasnt in my library or on my Touch the above quote is what I received.
What did you ask Kobo?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Transonic
Enthusiast
Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Transonic is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 NT, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
I purchased a book from the Kobo store however the book didnt appear in my library or on my reader so I asked them for some help
In the end I found the answer to the problem on this forum so I didnt need their help after all.
Transonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
Hello,

thank you for the spam.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Wow.

I'm amazed they didn't include the instructions to factory reset your spam...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Katel
Addict

Yes, thanks a lot, I did get the info I needed from here.
So I know where to go for help in future and where not to..
Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and even Icab, logged in and logged out of Kobobooks, and I can't get that Goodreads line to disappear.
For some reason, not all books are linked to goodreads. So for all books you can see the stars, which, like stated above, are just stars (ratings) without any review. And for some books they've added a link to the goodreads reviews.

I've known for ages the Kobo Customer "Care" is terrible, but time and time again they go ahead and surprise me with their ridiculous nonsense. If people on the forum here know how to interpret a question and respond to it correctly (even if the response includes a lot of 'if's) Kobo's *own* people should be able to figure it out. Sheesh. It's like Kobo have just planted a bunch of random people that don't read at all and don't own a reader and never browse the Kobobooks site in front of a computer to answer emails. Come on. Pfft.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote