Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #31
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Mantano's Handling of Books

From what I can tell, Mantano does not make a copy of the book. Mantano does not automatically scan for books, like some other e-reader software. The user must import individual books into Mantano. During the import process, Mantano reads the metadata from the book and stores a pointer to the book's location in it's own database. You can see this pointer in the information you get when you long-press on a book in the book-list.

I tested this by deleting a book outside of Mantano. Mantano still showed the book in it's list because it was only displaying the information from it's database. When I tried to open the book, Mantano reported the book as missing and gave me the option to delete it from the book list.

For myself, when I finish reading a book in Mantano, I will remove it from the book list, but leave it on the device (Mantano gives you this option). Later, I will let Calibre delete it from the device. I think this is a clean way to do things.

I will, however, post a request in the Mantano thread, asking that they add a means of validating the book list, identifying those books that are missing and offering the user the option to delete them.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@jackie: Try upgrading to the current WMP (12, I think) and rebooting your computer. According to the Microsoft docs WMP 11 is sufficient, but maybe they are mistaken.
I tried WMP Help > Check for updates and it tells me I'm up-to-date (11.0.5721.5280). When I went to the MS WMP 12 web-page the first thing it says is
Quote:
Designed by media lovers, for media lovers. Windows Media Player 12—available only in Windows 7—plays more music and video than ever!
so I don't think I can update.
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Jackie: Hmm well it looks like your system isn't seeing the device at all, for whatever reason, so calibre can't see it either. calibre uses the windows portable device service to detect the device and if that doesn't see it, then calibre cannot see it either.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I have WinXP SP3 with WMP 11 installed.
Now is a very good time to upgrade to Windows 7.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #35
pollito pito
i warned you ...
pollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litter

Device: none
Asus Slider SL101

The driver works smoothly with the Asus Slider SL101 on Win7. No problems at all to report; copy, move, and delete books as well as news operations, all works as expected: Excellently !!

I would only suggest that “Start wireless device connection” be grayed out upon wired (USB) connection.

A self reminder: Do not forget to click on the donate button!
Thanks a lot!
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #36
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now is a very good time to upgrade to Windows 7.
The mere thought makes me wince Nothing will ever work again. The only good time to upgrade a version of Windows is when you can start afresh on a brand new PC... now there's an idea
Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@jackie: Try upgrading to the current WMP (12, I think) and rebooting your computer. According to the Microsoft docs WMP 11 is sufficient, but maybe they are mistaken.

@theducks: How did you configure the device, by right clicking on the device icon or by using Preferences->Plugins? If the former, then you should have seen a restart required message.

I will edit the first post to make the procedure for applying the tweak a little more clear.
Preference:Plugins: Device ...

I didn't even see the other (might be because my toolbars are severely customized)

The PI does work, there are now the 2 standard calibre files on the device on both the main and external uSD card

EDIT:
OK, I am just blind
I re-enabled, restarted Calibre and there was the Icon

Last edited by theducks; 09-16-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: EDIT
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@Jackie: Hmm well it looks like your system isn't seeing the device at all, for whatever reason, so calibre can't see it either. calibre uses the windows portable device service to detect the device and if that doesn't see it, then calibre cannot see it either.
As I mentioned earlier, File Explorer can see it as GT-N7000 #2

Just in case it provides extra info, excluding calibre from the equation, I can drag files from-phone-to-PC but not from-PC-to-phone.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackie: That's weird. Explorer on XP is not supposed to be able to browse MTP devices as per the docs I read. Is this device connecting via MTP or is it maybe using some sort of network-over-USB connect? I dont know enough about windows to tell you how to figure that out I'm afraid, but my guess would be go into device manager and look around.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@pollito: Yeah the start wireless device menu entry needs to be grayed out when any device is connected, not just MTP.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@jackie: That's weird. Explorer on XP is not supposed to be able to browse MTP devices as per the docs I read. Is this device connecting via MTP or is it maybe using some sort of network-over-USB connect? I dont know enough about windows to tell you how to figure that out I'm afraid, but my guess would be go into device manager and look around.
My Sansa Clip+ appears in Explorer under "Other"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTP device on XP.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	92442  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's probably being browsed in PTP mode (the precursor to MTP, used mainly for cameras).
Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #43
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
@pollito: Yeah the start wireless device menu entry needs to be grayed out when any device is connected, not just MTP.
Uhhh ... why? It you actually use it then it is probably started when calibre starts. Are you planning on shutting it off and restarting it? There is no problem with having the driver running when some non-wireless device is connected. The driver respects the "one device at a time" rule and won't accept wireless connections.

I do think that telling a wireless device that it cannot connect to calibre because calibre is busy servicing another device is a good idea. We will look into doing that.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I do think that telling a wireless device that it cannot connect to calibre because calibre is busy servicing another device is a good idea. We will look into doing that.

That is better. The idea is to avoid error messages caused by mutiple device drivers trying to connect to calibre.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
My experience is that XP's explorer partially works. Sometimes it sees devices and sometimes it doesn't. When it sees a device there is a large probability that it won't be able to browse the files on the device, but sometimes it can. I was unable to determine exactly what causes the differences and eventually gave it up as a lost cause.
Closed Thread