Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
The Other Pilot
Ed Baldwin
The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Other Pilot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Other Pilot

[Self-promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

I used to own a bookstore. I lost my shirt and closed it a decade ago because Amazon and Walmart sold books cheaper than I could buy them. Now I see Amazon putting Walmart out of the bookstore business, and also cutting down to size those big publishing companies that wouldn't even acknowledge the queries and manuscripts I sent them.

I used to pay dues to The Author's Guild. They are plaintiffs, with the big publishers, claiming Amazon's pricing of ebooks is bad for the publishing industry. The judge, in a preliminary ruling scoffed at that argument, saying ebook pricing is good for readers, i.e., customers.

I'm reading The River War: An Account of the Reconquest of the Sudan, by Winston Churchill. Long out of print, this was Churchill's second book and I got it through Print on Demand. On my Kindle I have The Story of the Malakand Field Force, which was Churchill's first book, published in 1898. He was a young lieutenant with the 21st Lancers, a British cavalry unit fighting in Afghanistan and then the Sudan. Not the writer he would become, these books are fascinating for what they tell about the times, and what they show about publishing today.

Where will it go next? Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, and Barnes and Noble are going to make everything ever published available to us in whatever format we desire. Our challenge as readers is to sort through it all.

Which brings us to MobileRead, and my first post. What's new?

Ed Baldwin

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-13-2012 at 02:10 PM.
The Other Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Hello Ed, welcome, and thank you for sharing your personal experience in the book business.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ed and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote