Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
dlcmdrx
Member
dlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 1000
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Connectiog to touch via SFTP

Ok so not wanting to derail more from this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=183526&page=7

The purpose of all this is to achieve a landscape mode from the web browser via mmatej jailbreak.

So far ive been able to connect via shsh but cannot connect via sftp with same password. I copied the sftp_server archive in the main directory of the kindle which should be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
Yes, you need to have usbnet turned on, connected to the computer, and you need to mount root r/w (issue mntroot rw in SSH). Password is the same (SFTP is SSH subsystem).
Also, as MaPePeR said, there are checksums of several files and they are being compared as a part of update process. You should undo steps above before updating your firmware (i.e mntroot rw, remove that symlink, and revert changes made to the files in WinSCP.
Still cant connect, shsh gives me no problem.

Quote:
login as: root
root@192.168.0.13's password:
[root@kindle root]# mntroot rw
system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
[root@kindle root]#
Then i go to winscp and connection is timed out.

Last edited by dlcmdrx; 07-19-2012 at 05:24 PM.
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 14730
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmdrx View Post
Ok so not wanting to derail more from this thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=183526&page=7

The purpose of all this is to achieve a landscape mode from the web browser via mmatej jailbreak.

So far ive been able to connect via shsh but cannot connect via sftp with same password. I copied the sftp_server archive in the main directory of the kindle which should be enough.



Still cant connect, shsh gives me no problem.



Then i go to winscp and connection is timed out.
Have you solved your problem? If not, you may have entered invalid IP while connecting (IP=host - it's 192.168.15.244). After you enter mntroot rw in the SSH, don't do anything except opening winscp, putting the IP and trying to connect.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
dlcmdrx
Member
dlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 1000
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
Have you solved your problem? If not, you may have entered invalid IP while connecting (IP=host - it's 192.168.15.244). After you enter mntroot rw in the SSH, don't do anything except opening winscp, putting the IP and trying to connect.
Nope it doesnt connect.

Ill wait for 5.1.2 and do the jailbreak for that version when you redo your web jailbreak. See if i can do it there
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
geekmaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,070
Karma: 6789001
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Щедрость не имеет пределов.
Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmdrx View Post
Nope it doesnt connect.

Ill wait for 5.1.2 and do the jailbreak for that version when you redo your web jailbreak. See if i can do it there
The web jailbreak cannot be "redone" to support 5.1.2, because it exploited a serious flaw that NEEDED to be fixed. That flaw no longer exists in 5.1.2 so the web jailbreak will NEVER work (and CANNOT work) on 5.1.2.

You will either have a VERY LONG wait, or you will use a "non-web" jailbreak (available in the Dev Corner forum).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 14730
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The web jailbreak cannot be "redone" to support 5.1.2, because it exploited a serious flaw that NEEDED to be fixed. That flaw no longer exists in 5.1.2 so the web jailbreak will NEVER work (and CANNOT work) on 5.1.2.

You will either have a VERY LONG wait, or you will use a "non-web" jailbreak (available in the Dev Corner forum).
Web jailbreak could be "redone" if there is some new exploit. Maybe it exists, sitting there to be revealed by hackers...
(also, I had an idea to rewrite it as WAF, but it would break the purpose (jailbreak before jailbreak?)
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
geekmaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,070
Karma: 6789001
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Щедрость не имеет пределов.
Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
Web jailbreak could be "redone" if there is some new exploit. Maybe it exists, sitting there to be revealed by hackers...
(also, I had an idea to rewrite it as WAF, but it would break the purpose (jailbreak before jailbreak?)
We were surprised that it took amazon so long to fix that serious security flaw, which was reported to them a long time before the web jailbreak that used it. If another serious flaw is discovered it will be reported to them too.

If a web page can run code on a kindle (needed to install a jailbreak), it can also be used to install malware such as a virus or botnet just by visiting an infected web page. That is a very bad thing.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.
 
Posts: 91
Karma: 14730
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
We were surprised that it took amazon so long to fix that serious security flaw, which was reported to them a long time before the web jailbreak that used it. If another serious flaw is discovered it will be reported to them too.

If a web page can run code on a kindle (needed to install a jailbreak), it can also be used to install malware such as a virus or botnet just by visiting an infected web page. That is a very bad thing.
I didn't say that security flaw was good. I only said I could exploit another bug in Kindle to achieve same functionality as in web jailbreak in FW 5.1.0.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
geekmaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,070
Karma: 6789001
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Щедрость не имеет пределов.
Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
I didn't say that security flaw was good. I only said I could exploit another bug in Kindle to achieve same functionality as in web jailbreak in FW 5.1.0.
The webkit browser is in wide distribution on many non-kindle devices and it has been around a long time and is quite mature and reliable. Any "bugs" will be things that amazon added to it. Hopefully they will refrain from decreasing webkit security again.

Other bugs ARE used to install jailbreaks by traditional methods. The currently fashionable method uses data.tar.gz and its variants. They do not work on external web pages. That was a cute hack, but it was known from the start to have a short lifespan (may it rest in peace).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
dlcmdrx
Member
dlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 1000
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The web jailbreak cannot be "redone" to support 5.1.2, because it exploited a serious flaw that NEEDED to be fixed. That flaw no longer exists in 5.1.2 so the web jailbreak will NEVER work (and CANNOT work) on 5.1.2.

You will either have a VERY LONG wait, or you will use a "non-web" jailbreak (available in the Dev Corner forum).
Ill wait for Amazon to include the landscape capability in an upcoming update then.

If they dont ill start shopping for alternatives to the touch. too bad because even though its not as smooth as an ipad its actually very good for forum browsing.. except it cannot go landscape and some forums look very little because of it.
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
geekmaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,070
Karma: 6789001
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Щедрость не имеет пределов.
Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmdrx View Post
Ill wait for Amazon to include the landscape capability in an upcoming update then.

If they dont ill start shopping for alternatives to the touch. too bad because even though its not as smooth as an ipad its actually very good for forum browsing.. except it cannot go landscape and some forums look very little because of it.
Just use the "standard" jailbreak that existed long before the web jailbreak (which was doomed from the start).

The web jailbreak was an interesting experiment while it lasted, but its time has ended, and it is time to go back to the "data.tar.gz" jailbreak method.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
dlcmdrx
Member
dlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheesedlcmdrx can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 1000
Join Date: Jul 2012
Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Just use the "standard" jailbreak that existed long before the web jailbreak (which was doomed from the start).

The web jailbreak was an interesting experiment while it lasted, but its time has ended, and it is time to go back to the "data.tar.gz" jailbreak method.
Jailbroke it with that method, what should i do now to enable the landscape browser? Thanks.
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
geekmaster's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,070
Karma: 6789001
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Щедрость не имеет пределов.
Device: *.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcmdrx View Post
Jailbroke it with that method, what should i do now to enable the landscape browser? Thanks.
I think there is a JBPatch patch for that. Look in the Dev Corner forum.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFTP not working on 5.1.0 lukeroge Kindle Developer's Corner 7 10-10-2012 12:38 PM
sftp on your kindle drendo70 Kindle Developer's Corner 13 08-10-2012 04:53 AM
sftp, kindle and calibre rajil.s Amazon Kindle 0 05-09-2012 05:25 PM
Android SFTP (client) kenjennings enTourage Archive 4 04-12-2010 02:37 PM
Request Geek Tools for moving files to/from the Library: ssh/sftp/rsync/samba kenjennings enTourage Archive 6 04-07-2010 12:36 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.