Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Bookmarks being lost! Is Calibre the culprit?

I have a Kobo Touch (firmware 2.0.0 r41166 7/12/12), which I manage with Calibre (0.8.59).

Lately, my KT has started to act strangely: when I go back to a book I was reading before, the books opens at the beginning of the chapter I was reading, not at the last page I was reading. That bookmark that knew which page I was reading is not being kept properly. The chapter is always right, just the page in the middle of the chapter is lost.

Some of the more recent cases include:
  1. Ashton-Kirk, Investigator (John T. McIntyre), from Feedbooks
  2. Michel Strogoff (Jules Verne), from Feedbooks
  3. The Edge (Dick Francis), from Kobo
and basically all other books I have on my device...

This is really annoying, particularly when the chapters are long.

Anybody has experienced this problem too? Any hints on how to solve it?

[UPDATE]

Just tried to connect to my KT using Calibre (0.8.59 -- I have not updated Calibre in a while) and got this error message:

Code:
calibre, version 0.8.59
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 82, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 339, in _books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 335, in books
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 816, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 784, in update_device_database_collections
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 643, in reset_readstatus
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

It seems that I will need to rebuild the database, but how do I do it?

I read here that newer versions of Calibre have a compatibility problem with the Kobo database. This might be the reason for my problem, although I don't recall having deleted any books from the device for a while, but maybe I did it.

Is there a way of fixing the database without regressing my firmware to an older version?

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited by Roadbug; 09-06-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: [UPDATE]
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
davidfor
Wizard
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Yes, the calibre error is a sign that the database on the Touch is corrupt and needs to be rebuilt. I suspect that the bookmark problems are because of this error. The only real fix for this is to do a factory reset then let the Kobo desktop app update it to the latest firmware.

As to newer calibre versions and the Touch, they are fine. Apart from the thread you refer to, there are plenty of posts here about this. Just follow the instructions in the warning message that calibre displays.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote