Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
Prash, last year I bought a DX over the Black Friday weekend. It went on sale for $270, and I got the $29.99 case with it as well, making the whole package around $300.

The DX has a large, beautiful E Ink Pearl display, the build quality is amazing (pre-price war components), and the firmware is sufficient, but there is a better option today.

The Onyx Boox M92 is made by the up-and-coming Onyx company, based in Russia. This unit can be purchased brand new from a U.S. vendor on eBay. The firmware advances, Wacom touch screen, and open sourced format make this a much better buy than the DX for $389.
Agreed. If my DX ever gives up the ghost, I'll replace it with an M92. When I got my DXG it was the best 9.7" in town, but it isn't anymore.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW1,2, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I expect that Text to Speech adds cost, and if it doesn't increase sales, Amazon's not likely to include it in new models. I wonder if someone could create a Text to Speech app, that way, those who want it can still have it if they pay for it.
An app won't help. The new Kindles don't have any speakers.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
There is not a headphone jack either.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
(and some say isn't even in the new paperwhatever kindle).
All audio was removed from the new Kindle PW. So there goes TTS and audible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I expect that Text to Speech adds cost, and if it doesn't increase sales, Amazon's not likely to include it in new models. I wonder if someone could create a Text to Speech app, that way, those who want it can still have it if they pay for it.
No hack is going to bring back TTS since there's no audio hardware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
If you buy the new Fluribus to Speech app, I will fly to your locale and read your Kindle books aloud. I'll even describe any pictures.

TTS is one of the reasons I bought a Kindle (I don't really use it, though).
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Kindle Touch and PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I too bought a back-up DXG when it was on sale. If you read a lot of poetry/plays, etc. - content where stanza & line formatting and appearance is crucial - AND you want to read it on an eInk screen in reasonably sized fonts - the DXG is indispensable.
True!

however, I accepted the trade off of using LCD and iPad. Sold my DXG few years ago.

Landscape or DXG size is a must for reading my programming and computer books, but it was too sloooowwww ...

But to my surprise, more publisher are making better Kindle books, so they also display better on my Kindle Touch, using landscape.

And now that new Kindle will get integrated light , even better
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle PW1,2, Kindle DXG, Sony 950, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
If you buy the new Fluribus to Speech app, I will fly to your locale and read your Kindle books aloud. I'll even describe any pictures.
Your dedication is awesome!

I've got ebooks going. I've got audiobooks going. I've got videos on Netflix. I have zero complaints. My cup runneth over.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #24
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I expect HansTWN is conducting a thorough investigation.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote