Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4S, FireHD7.1, Nexus7.2, Nexus4, ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I agree cell phones are priced too high, but I think that is partly due to carriers subsidizing the phones. I think the Galaxy Nexus is a reasonably priced phone $350 for an unlocked phone.

I don't agree with you about the Nexus 7/KFire/Nook. The only reason the price is so attractive is because they make that money back in the appstore. But the low cost of that product is squeezing out vendors from making any money and will result in them leaving the market space because they cannot compete. That is not good scenario for consumers and vendors.

You don't have to have a business degree to know that selling a product at cost is no way to sustain a business.
16GB Nexus 7 costs Google $167 to produce and sells for $249
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
16GB Nexus 7 costs Google $167 to produce and sells for $249
Thats just parts. Not included are shipping, R&D, support and marketing.

edit: oh, and human resources. those googlers need health insurance and free cafeteria food!

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 08-30-2012 at 02:31 PM.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

You don't have to have a business degree to know that selling a product at cost is no way to sustain a business.

Race to bottom always ends in THUD for someone. Maybe thats why Apple refuses to do it. Whatever other complaints about their pricing you may have you cannot deny that they are a well run business with several profitable business centers.

So many computing stocks (like Dell) used to be such a high flying stock. Now almost dead by circumstance you describe.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4S, FireHD7.1, Nexus7.2, Nexus4, ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Thats just parts. Not included are shipping, R&D, support and marketing.

edit: oh, and human resources. those googlers need health insurance and free cafeteria food!
And after that, they make a whopping $0.02 profit
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$0.02 profit
not a good way to run a business.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #21
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

XBOX and PS3 have been sold "below" cost for years.

Microsoft lost some $168 per XBOX sold. Higher for Sony.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Those cost figures are just rough "guesstimates" (probably based on standard pricing) anyway. Nobody really knows what every manufacturer is actually paying for components.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
XBOX and PS3 have been sold "below" cost for years.

Microsoft lost some $168 per XBOX sold. Higher for Sony.
Your quoting me without the context it was written in. My statement was about how a vendor can take a loss on HW so long as they make revenue on the software/content they sell. However your quote only furthers my argument as there anybody else making XBOX compatible games consoles or PS3 compatible consoles. Not only does Xbox/PS3 not lease their platform, but no hardware vendor would touch the platform since they would have to enter the business losing money, with no sales from the SW/content to offset the loss.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #24
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note and Ipad Air
I have a Note since 8 months, and absolutely love it.
Big? No, it is small.
For a bookreader that is.
And a very good reader it is; it only gets beaten by e-ink in sunlight, in all other circumstances I prefer it to my Sony Pocket. Very good screen for reading, and with apps like Mantano completely customisable.
It is also a decent music player, especially if you add a 32 GB SD.
It is a great GPS, nice game machine, fine organiser, great for things like Whatsapp.
Camera is good for a phone, almost on par with a sub 200 compact, but no optical zoom of course.
Battery life is reasonable, if I forget to charge it at night I usually survive the next day, with 2 or 3 hours a day reading and music.
If only I could figure out why it makes that ringing sound from time to time...
Seriously, as a phone it is good enough for an occasional caller like me, especially since I have big hands, but if you like to make many/long calls you might want to look elsewhere.
But for me it is the first device ever made that does everything I use it for very well, last year I carried a GSM, MP3 player and reader, occasionally a compact camera and GPS, now all I need is one device.

Pity the Note 2 gets a 16:9 screen, as opposed to the Note 1's 16:10; I find that to narrow to comfortably read from in screens under 7". Otoh, this might be a good moment to pick up a Note 1 at a decent price, the 2 is only incrementally better, and the screenwidth is worse.

Last edited by dura; 08-31-2012 at 05:19 AM.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #25
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
I have a Note since 8 months, and absolutely love it.
Big? No, it is small.
For a bookreader that is.
And a very good reader it is; it only gets beaten by e-ink in sunlight, in all other circumstances I prefer it to my Sony Pocket. Very good screen for reading, and with apps like Mantano completely customisable.
It is also a decent music player, especially if you add a 32 GB SD.
It is a great GPS, nice game machine, fine organiser, great for things like Whatsapp.
Camera is good for a phone, almost on par with a sub 200 compact, but no optical zoom of course.
Battery life is reasonable, if I forget to charge it at night I usually survive the next day, with 2 or 3 hours a day reading and music.
If only I could figure out why it makes that ringing sound from time to time...
Seriously, as a phone it is good enough for an occasional caller like me, especially since I have big hands, but if you like to make many/long calls you might want to look elsewhere.
But for me it is the first device ever made that does everything I use it for very well, last year I carried a GSM, MP3 player and reader, occasionally a compact camera and GPS, now all I need is one device.

Pity the Note 2 gets a 16:9 screen, as opposed to the Note 1's 16:10; I find that to narrow to comfortably read from in screens under 7". Otoh, this might be a good moment to pick up a Note 1 at a decent price, the 2 is only incrementally better, and the screenwidth is worse.
if the note be upgraded to jelly bean it might be a good buy.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It will.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #27
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note and Ipad Air
Yes, I've seen an official announcement somewhere.
September or oktober I read.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #28
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Hope it gets here soon
wyndslash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2,Nook,ipad mini, iPad Air, galaxy S5, ipod touch 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Those are tablets not phones, hence the price differential. I don't like it either but that's what it is.

I'm pretty sure the Note was pretty well received. I love mine. No doubt there are some niggles that I don't like (I really am not a fan of the camera). But it's pretty good on the whole.
Many of the reviews I saw complained about it being to big and compared it unfavourably to the iPhone (most phones are). Many said that s 2 was the better offering from Samsung at the time.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
With the Galaxy Note 2 debuting today at IFA, maybe this refresher is appropriate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-574...n-nine-months/

How good is this 5.3 inches phone/tablet (or phablet) as an ereader? For a size comparison:

Kindle Keyboard is 6 inches. 5.3" is not far off.

The Galaxy Note 2 is debuting today at IFA. Rumor has it that it will have a 5.5" screen.
It makes me feel good to say it again, and again.

Let the NAYSAYERS weep in Shame.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote