Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Better in sun ?

The question I'd like answered by T2 owners is does the "whiter" screen make it better reading outdoors in direct sunlight, worse, or just the same, as the T1 ?

Presumably it's better indoors, simply because the screen's lighter.

Or does it vary according to how you manually adjust the contrast under "Adjust view" - a feature which I presume the T2 still has.

I have to say I've never had any complaints about the grey scale for reading purposes with the T1, but do find it tricky, and unhelpful, shall we say, when using the browser function.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350: 3 Silver, 2 Blue!; Kobo Glo
I suspect the differences in reviews about it are the usual variations you see in e-ink screens, even on the same identical devices. The reviewers who claim the T2 has the same or worse screen than a T-1 possibly got a slightly darker T-2 and comparing it with one of the brighter T-1s. I know between my 2 350s, one has a noticeably brighter screen then the other. Both are just as easy on the eyes though whether reading indoors or in bright sunlight. It's just the nature of e-ink screens.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS650
The review seems to say Sony is a bit of an also-ran. Why wouldn't you get a Kindle or Nook with their stores behind the device. You'd think that Sony would have reason to try to differentiate itself, maybe with different size screens. Give us an 8" screen to read PDFs better. I'd definitely buy one for $200-$250.

I have an iPad and it's too big and heavy (with a protective cover) for traveling around with.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #19
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD; Nexus 7 2013; PRS-950, 350; Kindle K; Galaxy S4; MBP 15".
It isn't as if Engadget has the semblance of an inkling of a clue when it comes to the pragmatic/ergonomic/integrated benefits of an ereader. The whole point of it is not to get in the way of your reading habits, which Sony Readers have always done better than any other readers I've tried. It's possible that a hacked Nook would provide a comparable experience, but I bought one for my GF and infinitely prefer Reader stock to Nook stock. I rarely touch my Kindle and will likely never buy one again unless I have to for format-checking reasons -- I'm not a fan of mobi/format 8.

For one thing, Sonys have always had the best personal library overview and dictionary choices.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-04-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS650
I tried out a nook in store and was pleasantly surprised. Options to change line spacing, margins, font types, justification. Talk about options. On my 650 I have to set justification inside the CSS of the epub container. And a review of the T2 I saw font changes were a lot more clunky than the nook.

Grantes I didn't see all the options on the nook but sony could do a better job with software. How about releasing a firmware update to offer different fonts for 650 users. Stuff like this makes you lose faith in them caring about their customers.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD; Nexus 7 2013; PRS-950, 350; Kindle K; Galaxy S4; MBP 15".
1. You're comparing the last-generation font and margin options of the PRS-650 to the current-gen Nook ST.

2. You'd be able to do the same things and more with PRS+ on your PRS-650 as you can with the Nook ST. The processor and page refreshes are slower, but that's also because you're comparing two different generations of e-reader.

3. Those page and font selection options look great in-store, but wait until you get that Nook home and boot into the B&N home page, with endless advertising and oppressive graphics. Root it and you're fine -- otherwise, get used to it.

4. Take that ergonomically pleasing Nook, put it in a case and, suddenly, what had felt like an almost ideally designed e-reader gets cumbersome and unwieldy. No wonder B&N were the first company to make front lighting catch on -- it was that or listen to complaints about cover bulk due to the curved shape and varied depth of the Nook ST combined with the additional width created by a third-party add-on light. It's like carrying around a clipboard stacked with papers and pens.

Meanwhile, Sony readers have always had thin form factors, and covers with unobtrusive built-in lights that don't drain the readers' batteries.

It's the soon-to-be released generation of e-readers I'll have to compare to the T2, not the ones that exist currently.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Brightness and sharpness of the screen is in the eye of the beholder or reviewer in this case. What is good for one, may not be enough for the other. Please be aware that YMMV.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote