Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
GOGGS75
Enthusiast
GOGGS75 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini + Kindle Touch
EPUB to new MOBI (KF8) not working

Hi

I have a Kindle touch with the latest software but am having problems converting from EPUB to KF8 using Calibre.

Calibre converts the file after selecting the new Mobi format but my Kindle touch will not open the file?

I tried converting using Kindlegen and this was successful. It looks to have converted to KF8 format.

Has anyone else has this problem?

Cheers

Goggs75
GOGGS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert to azw3 instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

Hi

I have been trying to solve the problem and made an intersting finding.

After conversion the Calibre Ebook viewer shows the KF8 file perfectly but the Kindle Previewer only shows text with no formatting or breaks?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

Does anyone know the difference between AZW3 and the new MOBI format (KF8)?

I managed to convert the epub to AZW3 successfully and upload this onto my Kindle touch. The KF8 file successfully converted but would not upload onto the Kindle touch.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried generating a MOBI file with KF8/MOBI 6 in it and sending it to my touch and it worked.

Amazon's KF8 infrastructure is a mess (about par for the course with the rest of their ebook software), so it is impossible to know why it isn't working for you. Stick with azw3, since it works for you.
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGGS75 View Post
Does anyone know the difference between AZW3 and the new MOBI format (KF8)?

I managed to convert the epub to AZW3 successfully and upload this onto my Kindle touch. The KF8 file successfully converted but would not upload onto the Kindle touch.

Thanks for any help.
You need to go into the device preferences and tell Calibre that your Kindle supports AZW3 so you can then send it to the Kindle. Otherwise, Calibre things your Kindle doesn't support AZW3 and won't send it to the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

Hi

I successfully converted the full book in EPUB format to AZW3 but there are new format problems.

Attached is a small EPUB that I have tested on my Kindle Touch after different conversions.

Converting to the Old Mobi format the monospace font is recognised but there is a limited option regarding size. The margins do not work either.

Converting to AZW3 the monospace font is completely lost although the size of the font is working. The margins are also working.

Converting to the New Mobi format (KF8) alone the ebook viewer opens the mobi file created although the monospace font is lost. My Kindle Touch will not open the file.

Does anyone know why the monospace font is lost when converting to AZW3.

Thanks for any help

Goggs75
Attached Files
File Type: epub TESTER - GOGGS2.epub (3.2 KB, 248 views)
Old 08-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

After various testing I have identified the problem to be the Kindle Touch. It does not allow the monospace font to be displayed when reading AZW3 or KF8.

I created a small EPUB using various CSS to test changes in the font syle. I converted the EPUB using Kindle Previewer and the conversion to MOBI and KF8 looked to be 100% successful when selecting the 'Kindle' or the 'Kindle Fire' but not when selecting the 'Kindle Touch' as the device?

All CSS changes tested (e.g. Bold, Italics, Color, Size etc) worked on the Kindle Touch except changing the font-family to Monosize.

It will not display Monosize when using the HTML tag <code> either.

Does anyone know if this is a bug Amazon know about.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As I said, Amazon's KF8 infrastructure is very poor. Different amazon devices have different sets of rendering bugs/limitations/quirks, as they use different software stacks to render the HTML.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

After using the embedded fonts option successfully I have found a solution.

With an embedded font added, the option of allowing the publishers fonts becomes available on the text menu. After selecting this the Kindle Touch is not limited to one font. The embedded font added shows correctly and the Kindle's own fonts show as well.