Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How many purchase from kindle store have you made?
None 13 23.21%
1-2 11 19.64%
3-4 7 12.50%
5-10 9 16.07%
> 10 16 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
In that vein, I'm curious how the sampling may start to affect publishing if this kind of system takes off.
Frankly speaking it would never work for me. One chapter is not enough for me to decide. My opinion about the first chapter would have next zero effect on my decision. Sometimes you have to read 200 pages into 1000 pages book in order to get into it. If we are talking about series, sometimes you have to read a whole book in order to get into the series.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Only 2 so far, but I don't have my Kindle yet (checks email again), and probably won't for a month. I'm sure I'll buy more once I have the device.

Carl

Last edited by carld; 01-16-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: forgot to sign
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Frankly speaking it would never work for me. One chapter is not enough for me to decide.
I'm just the opposite I suppose. I can tell pretty quickly if I like the writers style or not. Generally the subject matter is already something I'm interested in or I wouldn't be looking, so it just comes down to whether or not I like the way the authors writes. For that, one chapter is plenty.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've certainly been pulled in by a first chapter and ended up not finishing but it's often enough to tell me if I'm willing to risk it. I still may end up deciding a couple hundred pages into it that it's not worth my time but, heck, I didn't used to read 200 pages in the bookstore before I bought a paper copy either. I read a little and decided to risk the money or not. I've ended up paying money for some books I didn't enjoy enough to finish but the only way to avoid all risk is to only buy books I've already read. Since I don't re-read very often that wouldn't make much sense for me. I'd just go to the library or raid my friends' bookshelves and be done with it.

As it is, I've read the sample before buying all the Kindle books so far and I've happily finished every one. Generally, if I don't get drawn into a book fairly quickly I probably won't continue unless I have enough reason to take it on faith that I'll probably end up enjoying the book. Maybe it's an author I really like or a friend with similar tastes highly recommended it. Otherwise, I'm pretty busy and I have a long to-read list. I'm not giving anyone 1000 pages of my time just hoping the book will be good but if I read 1000 pages of their work, I think I should pay them.

Last edited by Alisa; 01-17-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #20
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
If you assume that some of the 'none' answers are from people that don't own a Kindle but are curious about the Kindle, it makes Jobs comment 'no one reads anymore' seem rather silly.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #21
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I don't think he meant it to be taken literally but a few dozen people on a site devoted to reading can't really effectively counter the assertion that people are not reading books as often as they used to especially in the face of a study like this:

NEA Study: Reading at Risk
Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
I don't think he meant it to be taken literally but a few dozen people on a site devoted to reading can't really effectively counter the assertion that people are not reading books as often as they used to especially in the face of a study like this:

Too bad it is almost 4 years old.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #23
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Oops. I originally read this article dated 2007. I doubt the trend has changed.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Oops. I originally read this article dated 2007. I doubt the trend has changed.

Interesting. they are slightly different. Thanks

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #25
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I bought 3 titles the first day and my Kindle died on the second day. While waiting for the replacement, I'll be planning more purchases.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
Dearly Devoted Dexter
Dexter in the Dark

Last edited by rationalbiker; 01-19-2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added purchased titles.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #26
MsAnthrope
Enthusiast
MsAnthrope is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, EB-1150
Kindle purchases

Bought one, selected 2 free samples. I made the purchase hoping that it might change my order to shipping soon (no such luck), but I was going to buy that one anyway. I bought the new David Weber novel from Amazon because it was 7.99 versus 18.00 from Tor via webscriptions. I plan to load non-Amazon books when possible but the wireless component is going to make it very tempting. My EB-1150 is running a 2 to 1 ratio so far for $ vs free books but those $ books have been pretty inexpensive so far.
MsAnthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #27
Alisa
Gadget Geek

There are other places that will give you books wirelessly. Feedbooks.com has free public domain classics and Creative Commons works. They have a list in a .prc file. Just click the link and the book downloads to the Kindle. Also, Fictionwise will send books to your Kindle through the email service. That incurs the extra 10-cent fee, of course.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #28
MsAnthrope
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip about feedbooks and wireless downloads. I will add this to the other useful/helpful saved info intended for my elusive Kindle. It's nice to get tips from someone that actually has one. I am beginning to think that that I've died and am in some type of purgatory or whatever the 'bad karma' equivalent is. It's been a month since I ordered. The ebookwise has been friendlier to my eyes than the laptop but I cannot wait to see an actual e-ink screen.

Thanks again-
Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #29
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnthrope View Post
Thanks for the tip about feedbooks and wireless downloads. I will add this to the other useful/helpful saved info intended for my elusive Kindle. It's nice to get tips from someone that actually has one. I am beginning to think that that I've died and am in some type of purgatory or whatever the 'bad karma' equivalent is. It's been a month since I ordered. The ebookwise has been friendlier to my eyes than the laptop but I cannot wait to see an actual e-ink screen.

Thanks again-
Here's the right page explaining everything: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #30
MsAnthrope
Enthusiast

Thanks for the Kindle feedbooks link. It looks like you've made it very simple to use. I like that you've placed an update link within the guide. I finally received the Amazon email and should have the kindle in the next day or so. I'm looking forward to trying feedbooks. I've updated my fictionwise account and that is ready. Now that the kindle is almost here I can face re-reading/studying everything that I've come across and saved. It was driving me a little batty to read all the great advice, tips, etc, and not have the thing in hand.

Thanks again-

Last edited by MsAnthrope; 01-21-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: removed reference to ebookwise