Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Smarten quotation marks conversion

I've come across a Mobipocket ebook converted using calibre 0.7.1 that used U+0093 (Set Transmit State, UTF8 encoding C293) and U+0094 (Cancel Character, UTF8 encoding C293) for left and right double quotation marks.

These are not the right characters to use - they should be U+201C (Left Double Quotation Mark, UTF8 encoding E2809C) and U+201D (Right Double Quotation Mark, UTF8 encoding E2809D).

Does/did calibre smarten quotes with the wrong characters? Or was this a source text problem?

I could delve deeply into this and find the answer myself, but I'm hoping that someone here has the answer at their fingertips (and that the answer is that it's a source text problem!).

Thanks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont recall ever changing the characters generated by smarten punctuation, so if it is generating the correct chars now, it must have been doing so in the Jurassic period, when 0.7.1 was current as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Thanks, Kovid. I've just double-checked, and the current version uses the correct characters when smartening quotation marks.

So it was a source text problem after all.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote