Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
The application Reader has stopped unexpectedly.

About 1 week ago I started getting this message when closing to the home screen. It only happens then. Then it forces a close and the book location is not saved and the "last book read" was the one before this error started occurring.

is this a known error? how can I deal with it? I have tried soft reset as well as deleting all my books and reloading them. neither has helped.

The reader also updated itself to the newest firmware recognized to version 1.0.04.12210.

if this has been dealt with and a solution offered, I am sorry, I couldn't quickly find the thread. (oh yeah, I am not really techie so a simple solution is best.)

Aside of this problem, the reader doesn't have any problems whatsoever and i love it! it is just frustrating when switching to home screen to have to "find" my old reading location. Thank you for your help!
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
It is a "Known problem" I used to get it when adding a lot of books to collections, it's a device software bug and we can only hope that Sony will fix it but with the TRS 2 out I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you, Bla.

so there is no work around? should i delete some of my books (although I hadn't just added tons or anything)? how did you get it taken care of?

would a hard reset help? or is it just not worth it?

depressing, as it is the only thing now that makes it not perfect for me...
Old 08-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think it is a problem with a particular book... it just seems to be one of those random bugs in the software... i doubt a hard reset would cure it as you would be re-loading the same firmware.. it hasn't happened to me for a while now.. I don't know of any work-around....
Old 08-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm

When I said there was no "workaround" I meant for the bug itself... you can of course bookmark the book you are reading before you close it .. that way you can easily navigate back to its hould your device crash... good luck
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1, T3T2 . Finally the Dark Side, aK-Paperwhite
Cool

Easy answer - forget the Sony junkware and install Calibre, give yourself an easy life ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
bla
E bookworm

The problem is with the device firmware not the pc software but I wish there was a calibre for the device lol.....
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I only use calibre and don't have the Sony software installed. It has happened to me many times, usually after ejecting the device.

like bla it hasn't happened to me for a while, but still get random book closing and page skipping etc.

While a bit annoying these don't happen every day and I have lost my place many times with paper books.

Most annoying is that my 350 and 650 do/did not have these issues. I may shop for a used 650 in the fall.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Krystl
Connoisseur

so mojo--i have ONLY used calibre and it has nothing to do with the device software. the most unhelpful comment ever received here as it does not deal with the issue at all. i found it rather a turn off, to be honest. i asked an honest question to what turns out to be a known device bug. if you have never had it or have something to offer, then just don't respond.

i have had it occuring EVERY SINGLE time for over 2 weeks and that is not without ejecting the device, etc. started "spontaneously" without any connection to the pc at all. very frustrating!

Thank you speaking and bla --so nice to know that I'm not the only one. i gather it just "righted itself" at some point for both of you. i wonder why it didn't do that for me--it was daily every single time (kept hoping it would just clear up)?

i have never had the closing problem and very very rarely a page skip (much less than me double-turning in a book). so i guess i cannot complain.

because there is no real solution, i did go "all out" and factory reset.

MY SOLUTION:

i DID do a hard reset and wipe the device easily (following the directions linked in another mr post) and the problem has resolved itself. i just wanted to let you know that it does help in case this happens to someone else. I just did the hard reset and then reloaded my calibre library (made things so much easier to have everything right there and formatted, etc.) and my screen shot for standby. it immediately worked correctly and so far (ok, 24 hours) hasn't freaked out.

i DO wish that it was not a problem, but that is another issue.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
bla
E bookworm

THere you go.. you can try the hard reset.. if it worked for one it might work for you... btw that "stopped unexpectedly" is a standard android message akin to the windoze "blue screen of death" it would indicate a low-level os bug.....
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystl View Post
so mojo--i have ONLY used calibre and it has nothing to do with the device software. the most unhelpful comment ever received here as it does not deal with the issue at all. i found it rather a turn off, to be honest. i asked an honest question to what turns out to be a known device bug. if you have never had it or have something to offer, then just don't respond.

i have had it occuring EVERY SINGLE time for over 2 weeks and that is not without ejecting the device, etc. started "spontaneously" without any connection to the pc at all. very frustrating!

Thank you speaking and bla --so nice to know that I'm not the only one. i gather it just "righted itself" at some point for both of you. i wonder why it didn't do that for me--it was daily every single time (kept hoping it would just clear up)?

i have never had the closing problem and very very rarely a page skip (much less than me double-turning in a book). so i guess i cannot complain.

because there is no real solution, i did go "all out" and factory reset.

MY SOLUTION:

i DID do a hard reset and wipe the device easily (following the directions linked in another mr post) and the problem has resolved itself. i just wanted to let you know that it does help in case this happens to someone else. I just did the hard reset and then reloaded my calibre library (made things so much easier to have everything right there and formatted, etc.) and my screen shot for standby. it immediately worked correctly and so far (ok, 24 hours) hasn't freaked out.

i DO wish that it was not a problem, but that is another issue.
I never did the hard reset, just the soft reset. I don't know why the problem mostly went away.

My latest issue is when I am going through the books list to check of books I have read column in my calibre library (Sony not connected to computer) it starts to freeze. No response to screen or button for up to a minute or more at a time. The off/on button still works, but the touch screen and page turn/home buttons don't. The more books I open/close the longer the lag.

Oh well. Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, 350; Nook STR; Kindle T, NT4B; Nexus 7; Superpad 10in tablet
It is reasons like this that I ALWAYS bookmark the last page I read on a book. I just never know if the reader will remember it.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote