Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
lisajane
lisajane began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy help please, kobo ereader touch

hi all, please help i have now brought kobo ereader, and trying to set it up, but although i have it connected to my pc to charge it, my laptop wont recognise it to set it up, can anyone please give me some advice, thankyou so much.
lisajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Have you installed the desktop software from Kobo? You need to install that first before connecting your device.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2, Kobo Touch
Quote:
my laptop wont recognise it to set it up
You setup the Kobo Touch from the reader itself, not from a laptop.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
You setup the Kobo Touch from the reader itself, not from a laptop.

ltr
Um... not really mate... You need the Kobo Desktop software for msot of the Touch setup; it needs to do items such as check for new firmware and perform the registration with Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajane View Post
hi all, please help i have now brought kobo ereader, and trying to set it up, but although i have it connected to my pc to charge it, my laptop wont recognise it to set it up, can anyone please give me some advice, thankyou so much.
Is there a prompt on the Kobo asking you if you want to Manage the device or continue reading? If so.. please select Manage Device.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
lisajane

i have downloaded everything on the laptop, and it say please plug in you reader, which i have done, but nothing is happening, except for charging it.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
lisajane

there is nothing else coming up at all, this is so annoying lol.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

Whicn Kobo is it? Do you see any unknown devices in Windows Control Panel? Have you tried other USB ports and / or cables?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
lisajane

it is kobo ereader touch edition, i have tried 2 different cables and all 4 usb ports that i have on the laptop, and still no joy. nothing is showing on control panel
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

Are you certain that Windows Device Manager does not show an unknown device? And are you certain the Touch is not displaying a message for you to select continue reading or manage your device?

What version of Wimdows is this? Dp you have any other USB devices you can attach to see if they work?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
lisajane

i am on windows 7, i have checked everything on control panel, and everywhere else i can imagine lol, and no luck on anything, and my kobo is still got on the front screen read on and under that it says kobo ereader, i have now plugged in my blackberry and that comes up straight away, sorry to be a pain with this. but appreciate all the help.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

Could you unplug the Kobo and then try a reset on it? See How do I reset my Kobo Touch for instructions on that.

After it's reset try plugging it back into the laptop.

Any possibility the battery might be totally flat? Since you mention a Blackberry I think those do come with a wall-charger that you should be able to connect to the Kobo to charge it. If so... leave it charging on that for a few hours and then try connecting to the PC again.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
lisajane

ok thanks, i have had it on charge for about 5 hours now, but i will leave it overnight and see how it goes, if no joy then i will have to send it back, as its brand new, and only got it today. thank you so much for the help.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
lisajane

it is now working thank you, i plugged it into my wall charger and it turned on straight away, so then transferred it straight to laptop and it is all working, thanks again for all the help.